The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To All the Fans Crying For Luca Sbisa to be Traded Right Now

dank.sinatra

7 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

But in that comparison Gud is on a MAJOR upswing right now in value while Sbisa is on the downswing.

Interesting career comparables last 2 years ....

Sbisa:

2014-15    -8 in 76 games, improved to:

2015-16   +5 in 41 games

Guddy:

2014-15    -4 in 76 games, improved to:

2015-16   +3 in 64 games

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Interesting career comparables last 2 years ....

Sbisa:

2014-15    -8 in 76 games, improved to:

2015-16   +5 in 41 games

Guddy:

2014-15    -4 in 76 games, improved to:

2015-16   +3 in 64 games

I cede to you that Sbisa has better numbers in the games represented there. Theres a reason however Sbisa is on the bubble, and was benched, and is not "really" penciled in, not the way Gudbranson is. Its not a popular argument right now, that theres even close to a comparison being made between Luca and Gud. Its like Gudbranson is on the team and is with Hutton, and Sbisa? yeah we have to play him because we are paying him so much.

1 minute ago, Shirotashi said:

I cede to you that Sbisa has better numbers in the games represented there. Theres a reason however Sbisa is on the bubble, and was benched, and is not "really" penciled in, not the way Gudbranson is. Its not a popular argument right now, that theres even close to a comparison being made between Luca and Gud. Its like Gudbranson is on the team and is with Hutton, and Sbisa? yeah we have to play him because we are paying him so much. I also see that it does sound like a parody and it is, Sbisa could outplay Gud badly, I don't think he will but he could. That's what I mean by parody, management doesn't really mean "everyone has to earn a spot". No, they don't, not everyone.

From what we've all seen so far plus who has earned a spot on our defence this year regardless of waiver eligible or not.

Just plain & simple, Icing our best team possible like we should be doing...

Edler Tanev                         

Hutton Gubranson                      

Sbisa Stretcher

Tryamkin Pedan

Larson - waivers then Utica cause no one touches him. Still not hurting us for a 1 year 1 mill deal. Maybe he starts to show something in Utica and an opportunity arrises???

For now though that's the way we should go if we want our best players playing.

Last year Sbisa with injuries and most D men out played very well which most have forgot.I think he is starting to play the way he was thought to be bale to.I have no problem of us keeping him and making him a 5th/6th D man,but with all the others might be smart to have him Trymakin and Stetcher play two one out to make sure all play and are ready in case of injuries!!!

I really do believe that Luca Sbisa holds more value in the minds of people in the industry rather than fans and rightfully so. His deficiencies are blown out of proportion by fans and it was pretty clear that he was missed when he was injured last season. Like the OP said, I think he might have a pretty good season this year and could fetch a comfortable return at trade deadline if the Canucks are out of it. He's not as bad as people make him out to be. He would be an attractive option for a playoff team that wants to make their dcore deeper heading into the playoffs without paying the premium of a big name asset. 

This year has got the potential of being that "let's blow it up" year if things don't work out. I'm not saying the Sedin's will be traded (they shouldn't) but I could see the Canucks part with quite a few names at the deadline and the draft if they are out of the playoff picture. Hopefully they are in a much better position (asset wise) heading into this years deadline unlike last year. 

11 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why do I highly doubt that Sbisa will be highly sought after around the trade deadline?

If the only offer Hamhuis could garner was a 2nd round pick, pretty sure we won't see Sbisa's value skyrocket. 

I'm not saying I'm a proponent of trading Sbisa. I actually like him. I'm saying that if others outplay him, there really is no point holding onto him for 3/4 of the season in hopes that his value increases. 

That may or may not lead to better asset management solely when looking at Sbisa, but it may lead to an overall worse team asset management when you reward a player less deserving with a roster spot "in hopes"  that his trade value increases. This leads to decreased morale and perhaps worse team on ice performance because we wouldn't be fielding our best roster. The trickle down effect would be bringing up other prospects like Hutton, Gaunce, Baerstchi, Horvat in a far worse losing environment rather than using the year to field a competitive team that gives the young guys better experience. 

That being said, I actually would like Sbisa to stay because I think when placed in a bottom pairing role, he is quite capable and definitely an upgrade over Pedan, and quite possibly more steady than Tryamkin and a Stetcher. 

P.S. To the OP : I don't think anyone is crying over Sbisa. This is a discussion forum. Some may have different opinions and should feel free to speak their minds. To have you belittle an opinion as "crying" just because you don't see it the same way leads me to believe that you should try to be a little more open minded. 

Cheers, 

8 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

I cede to you that Sbisa has better numbers in the games represented there. Theres a reason however Sbisa is on the bubble, and was benched, and is not "really" penciled in, not the way Gudbranson is. Its not a popular argument right now, that theres even close to a comparison being made between Luca and Gud. Its like Gudbranson is on the team and is with Hutton, and Sbisa? yeah we have to play him because we are paying him so much.

I never get the "huge contract" argument around sbisa......he's paid market value for a #4-5 dman who can play bigger mins if need be.

15 hours ago, c00kies said:

The other issue is the expansion draft. Do teams want to trade for someone they won't protect and might lose? That's not even a rhetorical question, because some teams might want his cap for only one year, so the risk of losing him to the draft is actually beneficial. On the other side, if a team wants him for more than one year, the risk of losing him to the draft is disadvantageous. 

With a good year he becomes a good problem for a team to have. Depending on a playoff performance could actually supplant a protected dman or become the sacrificial lamb that enables them to keep a player who would otherwise be plucked.

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never get the "huge contract" argument around sbisa......he's paid market value for a #4-5 dman who can play bigger mins if need be.

It's just takes unwarranted blind hate. Just simply forget about all the other comparable dmen that are making the same type of money and cherry pick a few amazing contracts that are way below market value. It's so simple a CDC caveman can do it :huh:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Yeah, while he's certainly not a steal on that contract he's also not really outside the range the market has determined for #4/5 defensemen. He's maybe a few 100K above the mean AAV for this type of player. 

At this point in time, Sbisa's deal doesn't really bother me.

That said, I certainly believe the Canucks could have gotten him under contract cheaper. At the time he signed, he was coming off of a very poor statistical season (if you recall all the "worst D in the NHL" articles and posts from some of the analytics guys--whether or not you agree with them, they certainly framed a narrative that could have been exploited by management). There was an opportunity to play hard ball in the negotiations (even filing for cut down arbitration was an option), but Benning took a much different route.

Hard to say whether or not this was the right choice for overall roster management. But it's moot at this point.

The contract doesn't hurt the team. And it'll be off the books before we're at a stage where maximizing cap is really crucial (as in when we're competitive). Sbisa has also shown a fairly steady upward trend since signing the contract, and it's possible the faith management placed in him has contributed to him having more confidence and settling into his role.

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I really do believe that Luca Sbisa holds more value in the minds of people in the industry rather than fans and rightfully so. His deficiencies are blown out of proportion by fans and it was pretty clear that he was missed when he was injured last season. Like the OP said, I think he might have a pretty good season this year and could fetch a comfortable return at trade deadline if the Canucks are out of it. He's not as bad as people make him out to be. He would be an attractive option for a playoff team that wants to make their dcore deeper heading into the playoffs without paying the premium of a big name asset. 

This year has got the potential of being that "let's blow it up" year if things don't work out. I'm not saying the Sedin's will be traded (they shouldn't) but I could see the Canucks part with quite a few names at the deadline and the draft if they are out of the playoff picture. Hopefully they are in a much better position (asset wise) heading into this years deadline unlike last year. 

This.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

This.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, while he's certainly not a steal on that contract he's also not really outside the range the market has determined for #4/5 defensemen. He's maybe a few 100K above the mean AAV for this type of player. 

At this point in time, Sbisa's deal doesn't really bother me.

That said, I certainly believe the Canucks could have gotten him under contract cheaper. At the time he signed, he was coming off of a very poor statistical season (if you recall all the "worst D in the NHL" articles and posts from some of the analytics guys--whether or not you agree with them, they certainly framed a narrative that could have been exploited by management). There was an opportunity to play hard ball in the negotiations (even filing for cut down arbitration was an option), but Benning took a much different route.

Hard to say whether or not this was the right choice for overall roster management. But it's moot at this point.

The contract doesn't hurt the team. And it'll be off the books before we're at a stage where maximizing cap is really crucial (as in when we're competitive). Sbisa has also shown a fairly steady upward trend since signing the contract, and it's possible the faith management placed in him has contributed to him having more confidence and settling into his role.

And this.

Archived