The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rating Vancouver's defense corps

*Buzzsaw*

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I wish I had another minus available for this post.  

Except for one play, Sbisa has been awesome for all four games. 

I guess the standards differ. Awesome for Sbisa is not pulling boneheaded plays on a regular basis and giving the puck away. What he's doing now (idk if it's by instruction or whatnot) is circling back and doing the safe pass. He doesn't help move the puck up and he always looks suspect defensively. This may fly against teams like Calgary, Carolina and a diminished Buffalo, but he'll probably look like his old self again soon enough. 

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Only 4 games into the season, and no injuries to complicate things... but it seems to me there has been a seismic change in how the Canuck's blue line is playing.

There are no stars, no dominant players, but I really like what I am seeing, and I think the overall balance of the Canuck's D is potential top 10 in the league.

I expected much better play with the addition of Gudbranson, but the impact his presence has had is not just on the 3/4 pairing.

It has shaken right through the lineup...  All of a sudden the pressure is off all of the pairings... Hutton is looking great next to Erik, but so is Sbisa on the 5/6... no more worries about being matched up with the opponent's second line, he can focus on dealing with the 4th line and the bottom feeders.

I get a sense the pressure is also off Tanev and Edler.   Edler no longer has to be the big physical presence on the blue line, he can focus on his natural style of play, and him playing more relaxed also has Tanev playing better.

If Benning only did one thing over the summer, acquiring Gudbranson has to give him a + rating.

The only aspect of the Canuck's defense I am not sure of is Larsen.  I know they are looking for the first team PP Quarterback, but I am not sure he fits the bill.  I'd prefer to see Tryamkin get a chance on the 5/6 to play his way into being a real impact player.  The potential upside for him is far greater than Larsen.  Right now Larsen does not have a point despite being a regular on the first unit.  I'd say put Edler back on the 1st unit, he still has enough skill to manage a role there.

Overall, obviously it is early, but I'm really happy with what I am seeing.

I am going to give them a B+  ;)

They've said Tryamkin is "on a program"

After seeing him nearly pass out after 30 second shifts last year I think we can conclude the program he's on is relative to his diet and conditioning.

Once he's able to skate his way out of trouble i think we'll see him in the lineup. That's the only issue I see honestly. 

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

I guess the standards differ. Awesome for Sbisa is not pulling boneheaded plays on a regular basis and giving the puck away. What he's doing now (idk if it's by instruction or whatnot) is circling back and doing the safe pass. He doesn't help move the puck up and he always looks suspect defensively. This may fly against teams like Calgary, Carolina and a diminished Buffalo, but he'll probably look like his old self again soon enough. 

It must suck living in a world of darkness and expecting the worst out of people.  

If Markstrom and Miller continue to get D like this, those two goalies wallets are gonna be a lot lighter throughout the season buying their D meals and drinks.

Going forward Biega's 19 games need to be addressed, the return of Troy Stetcher to the lineup is a forgone conclusion and Tryamkin's minutes need to be installed too.

I feel like the main thing I love about the defense is the amount of depth we have. Tryamkin, Stecher, Pedan, Subban, Biega just to name a few are great players who can step into the lineup at any given time and help produce. Depth is something we've lacked for so long and I feel like JB did a very very good job this year on loading up on good young defense men. 

11 minutes ago, Michael Scofield said:

I feel like the main thing I love about the defense is the amount of depth we have. Tryamkin, Stecher, Pedan, Subban, Biega just to name a few are great players who can step into the lineup at any given time and help produce. Depth is something we've lacked for so long and I feel like JB did a very very good job this year on loading up on good young defense men. 

Now is the time to trade Sbisa for Trouba since Sbisa trade value is up haha!

Edler-Tanev

Gudbranson-Hutton

Trouba-Larsen/Stetcher

Thats a top 5 defense corps 

14 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Why would you take out Sbisa?

obviously you are just one of those guys that want him out because of CDC hogwash.  

He has been fantastic this year.   

Larsen is the weak point here.  

Larsen out, Stecher in.  

Id say Tryamkin in, but we need a more mobile offensive dman to replace Larsen.

Tryamkin comes in for an injury to one of the other Dmen 

Sir no he has not been fantastic, very few have been fantastic up to this point. We have been fantastic as a team is what I will say. Sbisa has not been bad don't get me wrong I just think we need to be saying things like "he gets better every game" ... every game. Sbisa is not bad but there are too many wolves snapping at his heels. He has zero room for slacking off.

Nice to see people sticking up for Sbisa in this thread to a few ignorant postings. Sbisa has been terrific in his role as a 5/6 dman, which is where he should be. 

Is it his contract that gets some people up in arms? Are you guys the ones paying him? Who cares what his cap hit is ... he's been effective, played hard and simple, and his mistakes have been minimal. 

Lots of people wanting Tryamkin to draw in... I understand the logic against the big Cali teams, but why try to fix something that isn't broken?

5 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Nice to see people sticking up for Sbisa in this thread to a few ignorant postings. Sbisa has been terrific in his role as a 5/6 dman, which is where he should be. 

Is it his contract that gets some people up in arms? Are you guys the ones paying him? Who cares what his cap hit is ... he's been effective, played hard and simple, and his mistakes have been minimal. 

Lots of people wanting Tryamkin to draw in... I understand the logic against the big Cali teams, but why try to fix something that isn't broken?

This is so true...  Ran out of +'s

So damn annoying, when people start to speak about salaries various players are getting...

That's managements headache... Could pay 1st line players $2.50 and 4th liners 5 million for all I care, as long as they find the winning formula.

Same old song... used to be Hansen now its Sbisa. Show me 5/6 dmen in the league, whom are playing a lot better than him... If Sbisa start screw up, complain by all means, but this season he has been good, just like the other dmen has.

They have looked good so far 4 games in..can the keep it up? Most teams struggle some what out of the gate and have not got their systems down yet. Lets revisit this at the 20 game mark after playing some road games where the matchups get dictated by the opposition and hopefully no injury to anyone in the top 4.

21 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I think we just need to give Larsen time to settle in and find his groove. He hasn't played in the NHL in a couple of years and he's trying to prove himself. I'm sure he knows and feels the high expectations. I think he just needs some time to adjust so he's a little less reactionary.

I like him on the point. He looks confident and stable. He's shown flashes of really good control on the rush from a PMD standpoint. I mean, a couple times last night he rushed into the offensive zone ahead of the forwards and just left the puck above the circle for the winger behind him and got back into position. No scrambling, just point A to point B and back to create opportunity.

He just needs to bury a couple of those point shots to gain a bit more confidence. I think he'll be a good QB for us this year. Totally see what Benning was saying earlier.

As for Tryamkin, he's 21, raw, loose and a bit more wild. He's that big physical presence we need but certainly more prone to mistakes. Tough call. I'd like to see him in against LA or the Ducks just for size purposes.

Overall, the new additions to our D make the entire D corps better as a whole. i know we're all kinda, sorta waiting for the other shoe to drop, but the changes on D are noticeably good. We have to stay healthy!!!? 

Since Larsen cannot be waived I am sure he gets at least till X-Mass to settle in and show what he has. To date has been better than I thought and my impression is he is getting better with time. I do not see Stecher back in Van unless there is an injury. If the wheels fall off and the club is not playoff bound then injury or not we will see Stecher. Tryamkin is a bigger question. Injuries will happen and he will get some games.

19 hours ago, guntrix said:

Played well against the Blues who are a serious CUP contender. Buffalo has actually been the toughest challenge for the d-core to date.

In a season where Sutter has been our "standout" offensive player so far,  we are basically being saved by our blue line and solid goaltending. 

Unless the rest of our team gets going (primarily our top line), you can expect a lot of tight,  low scoring games where we continue to rely on our solid defensive play.  Hopefully it can continue...  But so far I've seen far more calm,  stable defensive plays as opposed to last season.  

I think WD needs to be commended for implementing a safer overall defensive system as well. 

Oddly,  despite these low scoring games,  in my oldish age I'm starting to really appreciate the defensive and system play - which is leading me to be much more entertained than last season.   Perhaps the fact I'm not constantly yelling at my screen helps too. 

18 hours ago, Michael Scofield said:

Not to mention Joulevi who is developing and waiting in the wings...

I give JB a lot of credit...even though, the "D" should have been his first priority in his first year because there were a lot of very good UFA dmen available.

The credit goes to him finally realising the "D" needed to be improved, and he went out and improved the "D" and the depth of the "D".

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Not to mention Joulevi who is developing and waiting in the wings...

I give JB a lot of credit...even though, the "D" should have been his first priority in his first year because there were a lot of very good UFA dmen available.

The credit goes to him finally realising the "D" needed to be improved, and he went out and improved the "D" and the depth of the "D".

"" style="box-sizing: inherit; border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

7109.jpg
Olli Juolevi
D
Shoots: 
L
Height: 
Weight: 
Birthdate: 
1998-05-05
Hometown: 
Helsinki, Finland