The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rating Vancouver's defense corps

*Buzzsaw*

The problems with Larsen is that everyone wants him to be the QB on the PP, but actually the QB is Henrik.  He's the one who sets up the whole powerplay.  Also Larsen doesn't have that big shot on the other point so he can feed the one timer.

Usually teams playing with a 4F - 1D system have a Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos types of shooter on the point.  Daniel or Eriksson don't have an enough with shot to play the point.   Larsen would be more beneficial with a regular 3-2 system and the only big shot that can play there is Edler.   But that means Sutter or Eriksson need to sit.

Also it seems like being the new guy, Larsen seems afraid to shoot the puck and break up the play if he misses, so instead he looks for the pass.

As good as they've been (which is awesome), the true test comes further into the season when injuries inevitably occur.

And that's the magic of what Benning has done...a year ago we were being told the D was going to be real gud because we'd picked up Bartkowski. And it wasn't long before guys like him and Weber were being called on for big minutes (I can't even imagine our D corps last year without the surprise emergence of Hutton!).

This year, when Edler or someone inevitably goes down, we've got Tryamkin that can move into the lineup, Pedan will be better, Stecher...we've got depth baby!

5 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Our D right now has the potential to be epic, with one substitution, Sbisa out and Tryamkin in. Jury is still out on Larsen for me

but hes had his moments.

Edler: B+ Unbelievable how he has come back to looking like his old self again.

Tanev: B I wasn't really seeing why everyone was so high on him now I see.

Hutton: B He already looks like hes a jump ahead from last year he just needs to get into mid season form.

Gudbranson: B- We don't talk about him a lot but when we do its good things, he just needs to get comfy.

Larsen: C+ Hes as advertised on the power play, very impressed, but can he grow? Can he add to that game?

Sbisa: C+ Hes on the verge of making a B- but last game he disappeared into his ole lethargic shell, so hes on the verge of C- now.

For the most part agree in al.

JB said he would carry 8 D men ,

When will Tryamkin get in a game?

Hopefully they give him Southern California games to get his legs under him gonna need his reach an crease clearing presence nothing against Sbisa but Tryamkin needs to be cycled in an out of line up.

Not sure if WD is waiting for bubble to burst before he exasperates his options.The season is young an good time to use 8 D ,this is a good time to insert Try,

Not much negative to say about the d-core other than their performance is complimented by the goaltending which makes their stats better than reality to a degree. Markstrom won the game last night against the Sabres.

We all talk about the physicality of the d-men, particularly Gudbranson, Edler and Sbisa. Last night EG was ran behind the net and he took the hit and continued his play. He is establishing a new culture on the Van backend that is much needed. Both he and Sbisa made some serious hits last night. Its spreading! Horvat is finishing his checks much more forcefully this year.

Willie had the Twins closing out the game last night AGAIN! I don't understand this. My biggest concern is the play of Henrik and Ericksson who seem slow. Danny not so much.

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Only 4 games into the season, and no injuries to complicate things... but it seems to me there has been a seismic change in how the Canuck's blue line is playing.

There are no stars, no dominant players, but I really like what I am seeing, and I think the overall balance of the Canuck's D is potential top 10 in the league.

I expected much better play with the addition of Gudbranson, but the impact his presence has had is not just on the 3/4 pairing.

It has shaken right through the lineup...  All of a sudden the pressure is off all of the pairings... Hutton is looking great next to Erik, but so is Sbisa on the 5/6... no more worries about being matched up with the opponent's second line, he can focus on dealing with the 4th line and the bottom feeders.

I get a sense the pressure is also off Tanev and Edler.   Edler no longer has to be the big physical presence on the blue line, he can focus on his natural style of play, and him playing more relaxed also has Tanev playing better.

If Benning only did one thing over the summer, acquiring Gudbranson has to give him a + rating.

The only aspect of the Canuck's defense I am not sure of is Larsen.  I know they are looking for the first team PP Quarterback, but I am not sure he fits the bill.  I'd prefer to see Tryamkin get a chance on the 5/6 to play his way into being a real impact player.  The potential upside for him is far greater than Larsen.  Right now Larsen does not have a point despite being a regular on the first unit.  I'd say put Edler back on the 1st unit, he still has enough skill to manage a role there.

Overall, obviously it is early, but I'm really happy with what I am seeing.

I am going to give them a B+  ;)

I would remind you it is 4 games in and of course the positives will outweigh the negatives when the team has started with four straight wins.

I do like the noticeable physicality of Sbisa, Gudbranson thus far. To your point about letting Edler focus on his natural style of play, but pointing out he doesn't need to be that " big physical presence ". I would disagree with this as he is most effective when he is using his body while being a solid allround defender. And indications from Camp going into the season are he has got some of that snarl back.

Hutton I have been a little nervous watching as he is going to get burned soon if he continues over handling the puck. A very talented stickhandler but one too many moves regularly, I think he needs to simplify a little there.

Larsen I like how he understands his role to get the puck to the net, if the puck gets to the point I am pretty confident a puck on net is coming which is all you can ask,. Not the most crisp of passers or puck handlers from what i've seen but is getting the puck to the net.

Tanev has been solid thus far in my opinion.

I think the defense is more C+ right now, and I would like to see how they do against a bigger faster forward group think San Jose, even Los Angeles. Give it a few more weeks.

6 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

every year we go through this thing; lets reach 20 games before we start the report cards

Pretty much. Such a small sample size and we haven't even had enough games for our 7/8th guys to get in one yet. Sure, we've got some initial impressions by this point but they're bound to change and players settle in and things even out one way or another.

Although Larsen isn't producing, he is doing many important things. He is getting his shots through traffic and on net, they are bound to start going in or someone will start burying the rebounds.

Also, his defensive play has been excellent, he stays with the body and he digs hard in those corners to retrieve pucks. Cant always be looking at what he isnt doing because he is getting chances.

4 games in I would give our defense an A+ 

Reason being that there has been next to no mistakes in our own end, everyone is throwing solid checks, every pairing is jumping into the play and getting great chances, Sbisa especially, the guy is getting into the highslot atleast once or twice a game and joining on odd man rushes. 

Lastly I feel like there is SOOOO much more poise with the puck from everyone on D. No one is blindly throwing the puck up the ice or making panicked passes.

Now its only 4 games and we have 78 to go, but I am loving what I am seeing and we have 78 games to get even better :D

I personally thought Tanev and Edler pairing has been struggling a bit to start the season. Tanev doesn't look as calm as last season. Still good though.

Love Gudbranson and Hutton together. Can't wait for them to have even better chemistry.

Sbisa, always thought he got ripped on unfairly, definitely been improving each season and game.

Larsen, smooth and can really move the puck, I know everyone wants him to score like Stecher did in the preseason, but I thought his shots have been getting better on the PP every game. The game vs St. Louis...his shots got past the first guy but was blocked by the next guy. In last night's game, his shots were getting through but saved by the goalie. I think he will pot some in the next few games. Don't forget, he's still adjusting to NA smaller ice.

Overall, really loving the look of our Defense this season. Sure it's only been 4 games, but still looking great.

9 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Our D right now has the potential to be epic, with one substitution, Sbisa out and Tryamkin in. Jury is still out on Larsen for me

but hes had his moments.

Edler: B+ Unbelievable how he has come back to looking like his old self again.

Tanev: B I wasn't really seeing why everyone was so high on him now I see.

Hutton: B He already looks like hes a jump ahead from last year he just needs to get into mid season form.

Gudbranson: B- We don't talk about him a lot but when we do its good things, he just needs to get comfy.

Larsen: C+ Hes as advertised on the power play, very impressed, but can he grow? Can he add to that game?

Sbisa: C+ Hes on the verge of making a B- but last game he disappeared into his ole lethargic shell, so hes on the verge of C- now.

Why would you take out Sbisa?

obviously you are just one of those guys that want him out because of CDC hogwash.  

He has been fantastic this year.   

Larsen is the weak point here.  

Larsen out, Stecher in.  

Id say Tryamkin in, but we need a more mobile offensive dman to replace Larsen.

Tryamkin comes in for an injury to one of the other Dmen 

8 hours ago, guntrix said:

I've been impressed with all the defenders except for Sbisa... that's not too controversial though is it. 

Hopefully Vegas picks him instead of someone else we may covet. 

I wish I had another minus available for this post.  

Except for one play, Sbisa has been awesome for all four games. 

4 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Why would you take out Sbisa?

obviously you are just one of those guys that want him out because of CDC hogwash.  

He has been fantastic this year.   

Larsen is the weak point here.  

Larsen out, Stecher in.  

Id say Tryamkin in, but we need a more mobile offensive dman to replace Larsen.

Tryamkin comes in for an injury to one of the other Dmen 

To be honest, both Sbisa AND Larsen have played solid for us. Sbisa has played very very good these first four games. 

I think we just need to give Larsen time to settle in and find his groove. He hasn't played in the NHL in a couple of years and he's trying to prove himself. I'm sure he knows and feels the high expectations. I think he just needs some time to adjust so he's a little less reactionary.

I like him on the point. He looks confident and stable. He's shown flashes of really good control on the rush from a PMD standpoint. I mean, a couple times last night he rushed into the offensive zone ahead of the forwards and just left the puck above the circle for the winger behind him and got back into position. No scrambling, just point A to point B and back to create opportunity.

He just needs to bury a couple of those point shots to gain a bit more confidence. I think he'll be a good QB for us this year. Totally see what Benning was saying earlier.

As for Tryamkin, he's 21, raw, loose and a bit more wild. He's that big physical presence we need but certainly more prone to mistakes. Tough call. I'd like to see him in against LA or the Ducks just for size purposes.

Overall, the new additions to our D make the entire D corps better as a whole. i know we're all kinda, sorta waiting for the other shoe to drop, but the changes on D are noticeably good. We have to stay healthy!!!? 

Larsen is better than I expected.   He skates well, sees the game well, and is just getting his timing defensively.  He will be 20% better in 15 games. I don't think we will miss the 5th round pick.

I have a problem with the way people judge dmen.  Every time they get beat, it is considered a mistake. It's as if the skilled offensive players in the league should be shut down 100% of the time or you are not doing your job.  Same for goalies.  Sometimes it is just a good play and sometimes it is a great shot.  

We all say we want more scoring but then we crap on defensemen like Sbisa every time somebody scores.  When Durant, Curry, James score 45 in the NBA nobody craps on the guys defending them.  It is understood that great offensive players make plays.  You can play great defense and still get beat by skill.

A guy earlier said that Sbisa is good 95 % of the time but still needs to clean it up?  Are we expecting 100% perfection from our 3rd pairing defensemen?

In realistic terms, our defense has looked excellent this year so far.  I am more than impressed with all of them and I think as they get comfortable with each other it will get better.

Archived