The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] "Embrace the Tank" - VAN/DAL

D-Money

57 minutes ago, nickels said:

Think this trade would have great merit...but honestly believe getting Honka or the 1st would be a win.

No way get both

Taking Eriksson contract IMO is doing us a favor(although helping them in the short term).

Paying him 6m for 6 more years is no bargain.

I don't think either alone would be enough, particularly a late 1st in a supposedly weak draft. But Honka and a 2nd would be enough for me to pull the trigger.

58 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

You appear to have done your homework, which is great, considering most of the other proposals around here.

Just one question:  Wouldn't Hemsky still be under contract?  Can they add LE in his place?  If so, I'd say you've made a good proposal (although I'm not sure JB would want to let go of LE so soon into the season).

Hemsky is on LTIR for 5-6 months, so they could apply for up to $4 mil cap relief on a replacement player - which covers all but 2 mil of Eriksson.

13 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I don't think Dallas gives up their first.

Not a bad idea but I think it's also unlikely Eriksson gets traded.

Trading Eriksson already? 

After being signed to a six year deal, it wouldn't make Benning/Linden look good with players around the league. 

Van just isn't a destination city to play in anymore. Edmonton used to be that, we are now entering into that. 

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

$6 million is market value for a player of his calibre. Would have preferred 4-5 years, but then he would have probably been $6.5-7 mil per. The extra year or two lessens his value, as does his poor start. But if you think 11 games in on a new team in disarray is going to obliterate the value of Loui Eriksson, then you're the one who is nuts.

Not only that, but exactly how poor has Loui's start been? He has assisted on 1/4 of the team's goals. On the Rangers that same rate puts him at a PPG. Is it his fault the team cannot score more, beyond the few he should have had by now if it weren't for dumb luck?

I honestly think if Dallas had the room, they would have made a pitch for Eriksson in free agency. He was a fantastic player for them for years, that they didn't want to trade in the first place, but they got a steal of a deal they simply couldn't say 'no' to. But the Hemsky/Sharp contracts were 1 year too long for when he ended up going UFA. And expectations were still there for Nichuskin. So when he hit the market, it didn't quite fit. But circumstances have changed - a lot - since July 1st.

Was he really a fantastic player for years tho? You better read this article and get your facts straight!

Dimitri Filipovic (Nerdy Guy): The Canucks certainly tried their best to throw people off their scent with that unexpected four-game winning streak right out of the gate, and as fun as that was, it obviously couldn’t continue. Banking on late game comebacks and one-goal victories isn’t a repeatable formula in hockey, where things tend to eventually even out over time.

Aside from that mini-blip in the radar, they’ve been exactly who we thought they’d be heading into the season. They haven’t been winning games, and that’s primarily due to their inability to put the puck in the net. To say they’ve struggled in that regard really wouldn’t be doing it justice, because through the first 11 games of the season, they’ve been a historically anemic offensive team:

filipovic_chart

Even if you posit that they’ve been a bit unlucky -- odds are that their 4.2 per cent shooting percentage should jump a bit considering that teams almost never shoot below the six per cent threshold, and even last year’s squad shot 6.83 per cent -- the reality is that it’s exceedingly difficult to score goals if you’re not capable of creating a passable amount of shot attempts and scoring chances.

While most people from the outside figured the Canucks were headed toward a long season filled with losses, it’s pretty clear that the people who have put the team together fancy the club as at least a competent and competitive one. If that’s the case, then the fact that it currently finds itself in the exclusive company of teams that didn’t even pretend to be interested in winning hockey games should be rather alarming.

This hasn’t been lost on Jim Benning, who has recently come out and made it be known that he’s in the market for a "20-goal scorer". The problem with that isn’t necessarily the intention, but more so the timing, considering that it was probably an objective that should’ve been prioritized this summer, back when players like Brandon PirriP.A. ParenteauBrad Boyes, and even Jonathan Marchessault were sitting in the bargain bin.

0:00
/
7:12

HC at Noon: The secret to Marchessault’s breakout

Instead, all they really did was effectively replace Vrbata with Eriksson, and biting on a shooting percentage inflation. Eriksson scored 30 goals last season but he also converted a higher percentage of his shots into goals than he had at any point since 2008-09 when he was a 23-year-old. Before that spike, he’d averaged under 19 goals per 82 games played over the past three seasons.

Vrbata on the other hand, who was sunk by a career-low shooting percentage last year, has once again found some of his old scoring form in Arizona and now has four more goals than his successor so far.

All of that is to say that the Canucks are who we thought they were. They’re a team that struggled to generate goals last season, and they essentially didn’t do anything to correct that this offseason. It’s no surprise they’re with no reprieve in sight.

So a 31 year old, 60 point winger, recent UFA in Loui Eriksson for Honka and a 1st.

Aka Eriksson (who Dallas could've signed for the cost of zero assets) for a top5 dman prospect and a 1st. 

Yea, not buying it at all. Especially since the Stars if anything need defence. And if they were to trade a league wide blue chip prospect in Honka, it'd surely be for an older NHL ready dman.

...this is Jim Nill you're talking to, not Brian Burke. What a terrible deal for Dallas :lol: 

14 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

So a 31 year old, 60 point winger, recent UFA in Loui Eriksson for Honka and a 1st.

Aka Eriksson (who Dallas could've signed for the cost of zero assets) for a top5 dman prospect and a 1st. 

Yea, not buying it at all. Especially since the Stars if anything need defence. And if they were to trade a league wide blue chip prospect in Honka, it'd surely be for an older NHL ready dman.

...this is Jim Nill you're talking to, not Brian Burke. What a terrible deal for Dallas :lol: 

Um...no.

1) Take their 2-headed goaltending headache off their hands (significant value)

2) Replace one with a solid veteran to back-stop them now

3) Fill their suddenly vacant top-6 winger position with one of the top 2 UFA signings from July 1st

You say "60-point winger" like it's a bad thing. Eriksson was tied for 35th in scoring last season - 14th in scoring among wingers. So by all accounts, he's a top-line forward.

The price suggested isn't cheap, but why should it be? It fits everything that Dallas needs, and comes at the exact time they need it.

Dallas actually doesn't have Hemsky (or Sharp, or anyone else) on LTI, which is what allows a team to exceed the cap. The Stars actually have over $2M in cap space even with all their replacement players called up. For LTI to work, a team has to be close enough to the cap to require it's use to enable them to add a replacement. Even then, Hemsky going on LTI isn't enough to cover us sending them more cap than we take back.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Hemsky is done for the season, so there is $4 million relief available right there.

It's Hemsky's salary minus their available cap space, so they still only have $4M in room ($2M in existing cap space plus $2M in overage) to use on a replacement. We might retain some on Miller's contract, but not likely we do so on Eriksson's (or at least any significant amount).

I know you mentioned Janmark as well, but since he makes only $733K they can't put him on LTI with all the cap space they have. Maybe if Sharp was gone most of the season they could use him to make up the difference, but he'll be back too soon for that to save them all season.

It's not a bad idea at least, with us bringing back a goalie who can help Markstrom and still have another year to let Demko develop. It doesn't quite fit though - and we'd probably end up kicking ourselves trading Eriksson after 11 games when he's been a slow starter even going back to his time in Dallas.

50 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Um...no.

1) Take their 2-headed goaltending headache off their hands (significant value)

2) Replace one with a solid veteran to back-stop them now

3) Fill their suddenly vacant top-6 winger position with one of the top 2 UFA signings from July 1st

You say "60-point winger" like it's a bad thing. Eriksson was tied for 35th in scoring last season - 14th in scoring among wingers. So by all accounts, he's a top-line forward.

The price suggested isn't cheap, but why should it be? It fits everything that Dallas needs, and comes at the exact time they need it.

1.) They've had their overpriced goaltending duo for a number of years now. Why would they sacrifice so much value in a Honka and a 1st to get rid of it now when there's only 2 years remaining on both their deals.

2.) Not to mention Miller isn't even that big of an upgrade. Given the value you'd want them to give up, why would they settle for Miller when they can go out and easily get MAF/Bishop with those same assets.

3.) Like I said, they could've had him for free in the offseason if they wanted to. Plus they don't have the cap space for him atm.

...not to mention the value is way off anyways lol. Getting Eriksson and Miller won't make them a contender all of a sudden. They have a clear lack of quality dmen on the blueline.

How would you feel if the Isles offered the Canucks Halak+Ladd for Miller+Juolevi+1st ....get real hahahaha

3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I don't think Dallas gives up their first.

Not a bad idea but I think it's also unlikely Eriksson gets traded.

Every proposal here is unlikely.

But I could see this as at least plausible, and I could see Eriksson jumping at the chance if things continue to go down the toilet here.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Every proposal here is unlikely.

But I could see this as at least plausible, and I could see Eriksson jumping at the chance if things continue to go down the toilet here.

Players and their agents aren't stupid.  You think Errikson didn't know he was signing a six year deal to join a team on the decline?  He know where our team was headed, and followed the money.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Players and their agents aren't stupid.  You think Errikson didn't know he was signing a six year deal to join a team on the decline?  He know where our team was headed, and followed the money.  

I think he probably expected to be able to play with the twins for two years, score lots of goals, and then re-assess if he wanted to move elsewhere. Now not only is he not playing with them, but they look like they are in a cliff-like decline.

If he was interested in going to Dallas as a free agent, it didn't matter, because they were in no position to add him in Free Agency. But they could be now.

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

How would you feel if the Isles offered the Canucks Halak+Ladd for Miller+Juolevi+1st ....get real hahahaha

For one, Eriksson >>> Ladd, no matter what metric you use.

Second, as an expiring contract with possible salary retention, Miller actually has value. If he keeps up his solid play, I could see him landing a 2nd round pick by the deadline. Whereas Lehtonen/Niemi are most certainly negative value.

Third, most prospect rankings have Juolevi much higher than Honka. A lot of 'drafted prospect' rankings have OJ as top-5 among D, while Honka is in 12-15 range. Honka's valuable, but not THAT valuable.

And lastly, Dallas' 1st is a lot different than Vancouver's 1st.

But what about next years cap. I'm on mobile right now so I can't look it up that easy but I remember that next year the stars are going to be way more in tight with the cap because of a couple players extensions kick in like Benn. The hemsky Ufa deal coming off was a big relief to help take on that cap. 

Add in that Erikssons cap next year prevents them from going out and replacing there goalie, unless they want to stick with miller and resign him. 

I do think miller would go to Dallas. He's familar with ruff. But I think Eriksson isn't there biggest concern. They really need some help on d. 

Personally I see them shipping neimi and nichuskins right in a package to Tampa or pits to shore up a true #1 goalie for the now and the future. Unlike miller who's right near the end of his career. 

They do have Sharp as a UFA decision looming, but could move on vs re-signing him. Some RFAs but most shouldn't be too bad. Benn will be a jump in cap hit though, by about $4M.

What would help Dallas is for us to retain on Eriksson, but of course that's stupid for us when at best we'd retain on Miller and his final year to make a deal happen.

On 11/4/2016 at 9:08 AM, D-Money said:

Are your other 255 posts as helpful and informative as this one?

Considering the amount of rep points I have compared to the number of posts, I'd say I'm doing rather fine here.

If Dallas wanted Erikkson back, they would have signed him this summer.  He always has slow starts to his seasons only to go on to score 30 goals. He'll be just fine.

Archived