The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trades that need to be made this year

Matt_T83

This is definitely the year to blow up the team. It should have happened last year, but it's better late than never. Things that can and should be done:

1) Trade the Sedins!! These guys are still amazing players and class acts.  I'm sure they will, if asked, give a list of 3-4 teams they would be willing to be traded to. The Canucks could retain 50% of their contracts, making their combined cap hit only 7M. In such a trade, we could also take a bad contract from the trading partner. In exchange we would need 2 first round picks and 2 prospects. This could give a team like the Montreal Canadiens an almost gimme Stanley Cup. It sucks giving up franchise players, but we need to think about the future of the franchise. Plus this would give the Sedins two prime chances to win the Stanley Cup, which they deserve.

2) Trade Alex Edler. This guy is a great player, but we're not deploying him well and we don't have the personel to complement him. He could be a dynamite 2nd pairing defenseman on a playoff team. He's signed this year + 2 more years at a very reasonable 5 million. Again, we could take on a bad contract if necessary to offset the cap hit. In return we would want a first round pick and a prospect.

3) Trade Jannik Hansen. I love honey badger, but he's got good trade value and he's the kind of player that playoff teams want. We should also try to trade NTC players. Miller, Sutter, Eriksson.  However these other players are more conditional, and would need to work with the team to make trades happen. 

This would allow us to fire Willie, hire Travis Green and build around our young players. We'd suck for 2-3 years, hopefully get some draft lottery picks, and then our youth could start to take over, with Captain Bo leading the way.

As an afterthough, I hope the team also fires Jim Benning and hires a new GM to make these trades happen. Trader Jim just doesn't make good deals. 

I thought we already have been blowing up the team? Seriously. How many of our players from 3 years ago are still here?

But, you know, this is "definitely the year to blow up the team". Kind of like how this is "definitely the year the apocalypse should happen".... 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Nope. They have NMCs so they don't need to be protected. 

Actually. Because they have NMC they HAVE to be protected. The team has no choice. 

Taken directly from NHL.com. 

"* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

22 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

If we are out of Playoff contention I would trade the following 

Miller

Burrows 

Hansen ( he could get us a 2nd round pick plus a prospect) 

Edler - For a young up incoming forward doesn't have to be to a playoff team

JB DOES NOT trade for assets at trade deadlines.  I don't know why, but he just doesn't. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB DOES NOT trade for assets at trade deadlines.  I don't know why, but he just doesn't. 

He has been here for two trade deadlines. The 1st year, the Canucks finished 2nd in the Pacific Division with 101 points and there is not a team in the league that would be sellers at the trade deadline with a record like that. Last year he tried to trade both Vrbata and Hamhuis  at the deadline but for whatever reasons these potential trades did not happen....maybe JB's fault, maybe not.

Seems to me that this is a very small sample size to jump to the conclusion "JB DOES NOT trade for assets at trade deadlines."

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

He has been here for two trade deadlines. The 1st year, the Canucks finished 2nd in the Pacific Division with 101 points and there is not a team in the league that would be sellers at the trade deadline with a record like that. Last year he tried to trade both Vrbata and Hamhuis  at the deadline but for whatever reasons these potential trades did not happen....maybe JB's fault, maybe not.

Seems to me that this is a very small sample size to jump to the conclusion "JB DOES NOT trade for assets at trade deadlines."

Loved Blight's four goal game.  Big right handed shot.  Still the only record of JB we have to go on is NO TDL TRADES - ZERO.  He had two kicks at the can, and got us NOTHING.   

the sedins are untradeable. any trade we make will have to be dollar for dollar. benning will move players when they can be adequately replaced.  someday, horvat, virtanen and boeser can man the top line, but they aren't ready yet.  if you could trade edler for a like contract and a pick, that might work, but i don't see that happening. 

linden has already said, they have a plan and they are sticking to it. that's good enough for me.  i'm glad cdc isn't building this team. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loved Blight's four goal game.  Big right handed shot.  Still the only record of JB we have to go on is NO TDL TRADES - ZERO.  He had two kicks at the can, and got us NOTHING.   

Not exactly Alf. He did acquire Baertschi at the trade deadline but I am sure that does not meet the "Alf approved " criteria and it is therefore okay to ignore.

55 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

If we are out of Playoff contention I would trade the following 

Miller

Burrows 

Hansen ( he could get us a 2nd round pick plus a prospect) 

Edler - For a young up incoming forward doesn't have to be to a playoff team

Problem is imo,  we're going to be good enough all year to just hang around the wild card slot.   So the question becomes,  how far out is 'out of contention' by the February deadline?  Better yet,  does JB have a threshold for being out of contention and if so,  will there be a market for any assets we may have available? 

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Not exactly Alf. He did acquire Baertschi at the trade deadline but I am sure that does not meet the "Alf approved " criteria and it is therefore okay to ignore.

Well I didn't know .Baer was a deadline deal.  He did give up a second to get him though, so that's a saw-off, no?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Well I didn't know .Baer was a deadline deal.  He did give up a second to get him though, so that's a saw-off, no?

You said "JB DOES NOT trade for assets at trade deadlines.". He did trade for an asset....how is that a saw-off?

Perhaps you meant to say " JB DOES NOT SELL to obtain assets at the trade deadline".

Archived