The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stetcher or Subban?

Sedin Brothers

Who do you think has more upside?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah but I bet Ollie J takes that spot.... If not next year most likely the year after Ollies gonna be gunning for that same spot. And if Stecher is injured this year we will just see biega plug in.. No pun intended

Actually, Larsen would plug in this year. That's also why I said 'next couple years'.

I doubt Ollie takes a 7/8 spot. If he can't earn a top 6 role and get minutes, he'll be back to Junior next year or Utica the year after.

5 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Only reason this is a discussion is because of Subbans last name. 

Actually pretty sure it's because he's scoring at almost 1PPG on a mediocre Utica team as a D man.

He certainly lacks polish, ability to play within a system and in his own end but he has undeniable offensive skill. If he can figure those other things out...

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Actually pretty sure it's because he's scoring at almost 1PPG on a mediocre Utica team as a D man.

He certainly lacks polish, ability to play within a system and in his own end but he has undeniable offensive skill. If he can figure those other things out...

.. I think that was part of the issue with P.K. " ability to play within a system and in his own end"

to me, PK was a defensive liability, it showed when Price was injured.

4 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Stetcher's D also isn't very "weak" he lacks physicality and reach, but a lot of great defensemen have made up for the same shortcomings with stick play, speed and defensive awareness, which coincidentally are Stetcher's strengths.

I agree, he uses body position so well to battle larger players. He bodied Chris Stewart off the puck behind the net and was off to the races last night!

4 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

These guys play pretty much the same role - and I actually think Jordan has a higher ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I'd love them both on the team, but I doubt both will be able to make the team at the same time due to the size. 

So simple. Who would you prefer? Stetcher is proving himself in the NHL, BUT don't think Subban couldn't do the same. He's an offensive genius.... and Stetcher's defense isn't the best (like Subban for his size)

I think Benning trades Subban..

Before you answer, think to yourself - Could Subban thrive in the same situation?

For the love of STECHER

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Stecher is the keeper,. Look for Subban to come up after Christmas in place of Stecher..

Since we are acquiring great D depth, Im sure the Canucks would like to get him in to prove he is an asset worth moving to someone interested.

I could see that possibly happening more next year. Pump and dump prior to becoming a waiver risk. 

3 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

After one shift in the NHL, Stecher showed he can play at this level and be a difference maker. Subban couldn't even do that in pre-season. The biggest thing that surprised me about Stecher was his work in the corners. He always makes the first move into the corners and uses his quickness and smarts to win those battles against guys who are 20-40 lbs heavier. And not afraid to take the puck himself out of danger. He rarely gives it away or ices the puck when pressured in his end. It's so refreshing not seeing him drill the puck into an opposing forwards shin pads every other shot. 

He seems to be able to keep track of the whole ice surface while always keep track of where the puck is -- never takes his eyes off it. .  And somehow doesn't get creamed into the boards while doing so.  This ability lets him not only make plays when he has the puck, but make plays to get the puck back.  He never gives up.  The Biega comparison is apt; I would also compare him to an old Vanc. Giant: Gallagher.   Yes, the Gallagher of D.

I think we need to see Subban in nhl games to make any kind of determination.  That said, he seems to be doing a solid job in the AHL and I can't imagine him being too much of a liability as his +/- is not bad for a player on a team that hasn't performed well for much of the current season.  Anyone who watches a lot of the Comets games might have some good perspective on this.

I'd like to see Subban play a few NHL games just to get a sense of what he's all about but with the all the promising young defense-men the Canucks have in the system it looks like he might be the odd one out. Right now there's no question between him and Stetcher, you keep Stetcher in a heartbeat.

5 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Subbans expendable at this point. Only shows promise in the AHL, his value in a trade likely won't be any higher. Or hold onto him till training camp next year and maybe he'll try and learn from Stetcher on what it takes to crack the lineup. 

Only shows promise in thé AHL because hes never played an nhl game....

Maybe à call up would change our minds 

I think Subban shows the greater sheer offensive potential.  But his game is flawed in so many other ways compared to Stecher, that I believe Stecher will far and away be the better defenseman.

Heck, if Subban can't gain some strength and learn the defensive aspects of the game, he may never make the NHL at all.

Archived