The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Season tickets + TV viewership down considerably...due to no real direction from management?

TheRussianRocket.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

"What rebuild".  Bob Mackenzie on TSN 1040.  He's a trusted hockey voice, and he's saying we are not rebuilding.  

LOL  you believe what the media says or what we see with our own eyes?  How many vets over 30 are left?  How many under 25's do we have especially on D.  A rebuild doesn't have to be what the laffs are doing or what Edmonton tried doing for how many years? Retool, Rebuild, Rejig rewhatever. Call it what you want and it won't change what it really is. :)

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I like it this way though. Don't you guys? Would anyone really want a fanbase that supported the team blindly even if they lost? I look at Toronto and Edmonton as two examples of totally crap franchises where the owners don't care about anything because they sellout every single game no matter what. Edmonton hasn't made the playoffs since 2006. In my opinion this makes Edmonton fans DUMB and Canucks fans SMART. If its called bandwagon then so be it, Id rather be that then whatever the hell Oilers fans are. Look where it has gotten them. Even if McDavid and Matthews pan out, and the teams become good teams, it took so long its not worth it. I wouldn't exchange the Canucks missing the playoffs until 2024 if it meant we got McDavid in 2024. That's a dumb trade off.

Whats interesting to me is, even with smaller crowds this year the building energy has been better, and louder. And no one has been boo'd off the ice and no sweaters thrown on the ice either. 

My theory is the worst part of our fan base is the number of "fans" that really have their 1st alliance to an original 6 team, I think thats where a lot of the negativity comes from. Its easy to dump on the Canucks when you really care more about the Habs e.g., Add to that really expensive tickets and a city with a lot of options.... not really surprising the sales are down. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

"What rebuild".  Bob Mackenzie on TSN 1040.  He's a trusted hockey voice, and he's saying we are not rebuilding.  

Bob is wrong. And clearly not a fan of NCAA or QMJ.

Benning is trying to teach guys like Bo how to be winners in the presence of veteran players. Yes, its a rebuild, just not a tire fire. Its funny, the media just parrots what TOs plan is. When they were transitioning and truculent, oh that was the only way to go, right? So now  they've tanked, so that must be the best way, right???? There's another post that shows the current prospect chart - yah its still thin, but its getting better all the time. 

Look at Nylander -  so many fans green with envy, and Mr. Double Flamingo has worked himself to the 4th line and has been called out in the media twice now by Babcock. Is that what we should do too? :lol:

15 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Benning is trying to teach guys like Bo how to be winners in the presence of veteran players. Yes, its a rebuild, just not a tire fire. Its funny, the media just parrots what TOs plan is. When they were transitioning and truculent, oh that was the only way to go, right? So now  they've tanked, so that must be the best way, right???? There's another post that shows the current prospect chart - yah its still thin, but its getting better all the time. 

Look at Nylander -  so many fans green with envy, and Mr. Double Flamingo has worked himself to the 4th line and has been called out in the media twice now by Babcock. Is that what we should do too? :lol:

As a fan, I would like to see Benning with more picks than 7 each draft, not less.  As a good Canuck's fan I HATE THE LEAFS, and I'm pissed they have young exciting players, and we don't.  I see these other rebuilding teams with young exciting players and we have Bo, and that's it.  Wouldn't having more picks create a deeper prospect pool, so we would have more chances of young guys becoming elite?  Posters keep saying that top players can come from the lower picks: Goudreau, Benn for example.  However wouldn't having more picks increase our chances - GREATLY - of getting one or two by chance?  How do we get those extra picks?  JB has to trade away vets like: Tanev, Hansen, Burrow, Miller etc, no?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As a fan, I would like to see Benning with more picks than 7 each draft, not less.  As a good Canuck's fan I HATE THE LEAFS, and I'm pissed they have young exciting players, and we don't.  I see these other rebuilding teams with young exciting players and we have Bo, and that's it.  

Sure me too. I'd like to see what JB could do with 10. With his eye I bet that would produce 4-5 really good, and maybe 1-2 really great players. 

The only player that I'd want from the Leaves over Bo is AM. TO's youth is way over-pumped. And if I were a TO fan I'd be pretty concerned over the lack of D. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sure me too. I'd like to see what JB could do with 10. With his eye I bet that would produce 4-5 really good, and maybe 1-2 really great players. 

The only player that I'd want from the Leaves over Bo is AM. TO's youth is way over-pumped. And if I were a TO fan I'd be pretty concerned over the lack of D. 

They have only Reilly on D, and their goal tending is not so great either.  Maybe JB does collect picks this draft?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB has to trade away vets like: Tanev, Hansen, Burrow, Miller etc, no?  

No. We could net 2 more lower picks with Sbisa, and its likely that CBJ gives us the 2017 2nd rounder for Torts, so that gets us to 8 for this season. If MTL e.g., did want to add Burr that of course could take us to 8 or 9.

Byt Tanev for picks? No and no. Top line F, yes. 

No. We could net 2 more lower picks with Sbisa, and its likely that CBJ gives us the 2017 2nd rounder for Torts, so that gets us to 8 for this season. If MTL e.g., did want to add Burr that of course could take us to 8 or 9.

Byt Tanev for picks? No and no. Top line F, yes. 

I think TO has two second rounders this coming draft.  Tanev for those two seconds is bad?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I think TO has two second rounders this coming draft.  Tanev for those two seconds is bad?  

I'd drive Jim to the airport myself if he did that (I'm channeling my inner Burkie there :lol:)

I think you're undervaluing Tanev greatly there. He's worth a top line F imo. 

I'd drive Jim to the airport myself if he did that (I'm channeling my inner Burkie there :lol:)

I think you're undervaluing Tanev greatly there. He's worth a top line F imo. 

I would like to get a top line guy for Tanev, providing he's under 24.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I would like to get a top line guy for Tanev, providing he's under 24.  

Yup. Imagine what Tanev could do for TO right now - they'd probably make the playoffs, and he'd be a fantastic mentor. If Larson is worth Hall, Tanev is worth something similar. Yes Tanev won't bring much offence but he's also being recognized as an true shut down top pairing guy. Not many of them around. 

13 hours ago, brownky said:

And that's on ownership/management.

Excitement comes from going to the game and being...well... excited. The Sedin game while effective is not usually exciting. Especially recently, when the most excitement comes as they give up the puck to a two on one with a lazy backcheck.

But that belies the bigger problem... when the team was successful, the 'fans' were completely priced out of the games. People with kids? Forget about it. When a family of four could have a 'drive vacation' down the Oregon coast for the price of attending one hockey game live... you have a problem. It was priced for businesses and suits. Suits who were busy wining and dining clients, rather than being fans; Canucks were hot, it was a good place to be seen. Now they suck, so the suits are elsewhere. Probably Whitecaps games. Meanwhile the family that drove to the edge of California instead is now doing something else, having never had any real attachment to the team. So they aren't watching, they aren't going, because why would they? The product on the ice effectively sucks, and there's no real drive to watch or even care.

So of course everything is down. The bandwagon will empty; it's not the market's fault, it's the marketer's fault. The Canucks brand is $&!#ty... anyone who has been to The Morgue^tm where they play knows the atmosphere is awful.

And that's on ownership. Maybe the profits need to take a real hit for real long-term success. Lower the prices, get people filling the place win or lose. Get *fans* coming. Fans stick with a team. Suits stick with whatever is hot. The suits pay more when you're hot, but they pay nothing when you're not.

We're not, and probably will be for some time.

Great post.  I agree there.  I was lucky enough to be able to go games as a kid in the 90's.  Thats when I fell in love with the Canucks.  My parents could afford to take us to games and I was able to watch Linden and Bure and get their autographs.  These guys were my heros.  Since I started my own family I have been to 3 Canucks games in the last 5 years.  Two were christmas gifts and one I got cheap last year cause they were bad.  The price of attending a game needs to drop significantly if they want to build up a fan base and bring some life back to the arena.  I really want to take my kid to a game, but I'm probably going to take him to see some WHL hockey instead because we can afford that as a family.  Too bad that you cannot be a working class family and go see your favorite sports team live :( and still afford a family Vacation that year.

13 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Honestly and this might get a lot of hate, but might the high immigration numbers to Vancouver from places where they don't play hockey have something to do with it? 

Did you seriously just 'Trump' the decline of the Canucks attendance and revenue...?

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

More like Bo is trying to teach the old broken core guys how to be winners. It's called playing with urgency and heart. 

I I love the "winning environment" argument. You guys do realize the core has led us nowhere but to the bottom of the standings for a whole bunch of years now, right? How is that teaching the kids in a winning environment exactly?

The only reason this team is even respectable is young guys stepping up where the vets are faltering. Continuing on that path is how we will get better, not continuing to live in 2011 and building around the Sedins.

Didnt our coach start Horvat on the 4th line this year - without any actual reason or justification to do so based on his or others play the last half of last year? At least Babcock is punishing Nylander for a reason. 

When TO does it its punishing the kid and means he is a bust. When Desjardins does it he is sheltering the young players to save them from responsibility. Ya right. Can't have that one both ways.

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

We could have 20 picks and it still wouldn't fit the narrative of "you have to have top 3 picks to build a winner." Look at all of those wonderful Leaf prospects- all top 10 picks. And what the hell are they going to do with a bushel full of prospects from 2-3 years of age class anyways? How can you get all of those contracts inside your limit of 50? JB may be a little fast and free with lower round picks for some peoples tastes, but it doesn't affect the org as adversely as some like to make out. 

1 hour ago, Creepy Crawler said:

If they lower the ticket prices I'd go to more games, I don't really care if they are losing as long as they put forth effort.

Well if they had some toughness, it'd be better to watch too. I can handle losing as long as we're not being bullied in games...unfortunately both seem to be the norm this year.

Archived