The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Team 1040 December 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's the best part about this interview.

If people had actually been paying attention and not constantly :frantic:, they'd see that's largely been the plan all along. He had an age gap to fill, he filled it. He flat out said that moving forward, that's far less the case and the plan is to retain and if not add picks where possible. Pretty sure that's what we're going to see happen shockingly :rolleyes:

But, let's not let that get in the way of a good *rabble, rabble* :frantic:

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

I'm still very unhappy that they're flat-out unwilling to look at trading any of the remaining NTC players. 

As it currently stands, we're going to be exposing one of Baer or Granlund because Burrows and Hansen both must be protected. While I love both Burrows and Hansen, I would much rather one or both of them be traded for picks and prospects. Hansen is a very valuable commodity right now and is the perfect player to help a team make a run at the cup. Burrows has shown he has value still and could likely garnish a 2nd or 3rd from a contender and we could very likely sign him back in free agency.

The fact that we may end up losing one of our young players that have been developing because management is unwilling to trade a vet makes me sick.

Burr's a UFA. He won't be protected FYI.

He also said he won't ask any NTC's to waive. That does not = not trading any NTC's.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

If people had actually been paying attention and not constantly :frantic:, they'd see that's largely been the plan all along. He had an age gap to fill, he filled it. He flat out said that moving forward, that's far less the case and the plan is to retain and if not add picks where possible. Pretty sure that's what we're going to see happen shockingly :rolleyes:

But, let's not let that get in the way of a good *rabble, rabble* :frantic:

Burr's a UFA. He won't be protected FYI.

He also said he won't ask any NTC's to waive. That does not = not trading any NTC's.

But how will people know we're rebuilding if he doesn't flat out say it!? That's the only thing that will magically fill Rogers this year. 

Lets not forget that each team must have players to expose. Plus we can only lose one player whether it is a D or a forward. Right now if Sbisa was there he would more than likely be grabbed up.

Every team will be exposing someone that they don't want to.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If people had actually been paying attention and not constantly, they'd see that's largely been the plan all along. He had an age gap to fill, he filled it. He flat out said that moving forward, that's far less the case and the plan is to retain and if not add picks where possible. Pretty sure that's what we're going to see happen shockingly

But, let's not let that get in the way of a good *rabble, rabble*

And how did that age gap fill turn how....Really gave us some winning seasons.  I'm so tired hearing this age gap BS.  We had sufficient players in that age range when JB took charge of this team.

21 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I'm still very unhappy that they're flat-out unwilling to look at trading any of the remaining NTC players. 

As it currently stands, we're going to be exposing one of Baer or Granlund because Burrows and Hansen both must be protected. While I love both Burrows and Hansen, I would much rather one or both of them be traded for picks and prospects. Hansen is a very valuable commodity right now and is the perfect player to help a team make a run at the cup. Burrows has shown he has value still and could likely garnish a 2nd or 3rd from a contender and we could very likely sign him back in free agency.

The fact that we may end up losing one of our young players that have been developing because management is unwilling to trade a vet makes me sick.

"No, I'm not going to ask. They're leaders of our team. But if a player comes to me, I'll try to figure something out."

C'mon, you study law don't you? That final sentence is a classic escape hatch, I wouldn't rule out an NTC getting moved.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And how did that age gap fill turn how....Really gave us some winning seasons.  I'm so tired hearing this age gap BS.  We had sufficient players in that age range when JB took charge of this team.

?? We certainly did not...

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's not entirely why he filled the age gap. And it was try to win. And no we didn't.

25 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Burrows and Hansen don't have to be protected and can be available for the expansion draft. Only players with NMC must be protected.

I also think we need to take Benning's comments about not moving players with NTC's with a grain of salt. Gillis and Burke used to regularly say the same thing.

8 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

"No, I'm not going to ask. They're leaders of our team. But if a player comes to me, I'll try to figure something out."

C'mon, you study law don't you? That final sentence is a classic escape hatch, I wouldn't rule out an NTC getting moved.

Totally, I use the same approach with the women I date and I know it's not going to work out.  Drop subtle hints until they say "Maybe we should just be friends."

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sometimes not doing something is the best move. I'd hate to see a GM do something just for the sake of making a move just to pacify the fan base and not make the team better.

I like what Jim is saying - he's developing the younger guys in the right way. E.g., a lot of folks were very jealous of Nylander, but after 25 games he's now on the 4th line, getting publicly called out by Babcock. I prefer more sheltered play with veteran partners for the kids vs. that. 

I think it's more of if benning let's more players walk for nothing like vrbata and hammer last year and possibly miller this year then it will piss the fans off 

not so much just do anything, it's asset management that is a sore spot for Canucks fans

Just now, billabong said:

I think it's more of if benning let's more players walk for nothing like vrbata and hammer last year and possibly miller this year then it will piss the fans off 

not so much just do anything, it's asset management that is a sore spot for Canucks fans

Has Jim Benning EVER traded for a pick? please name them

52 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You need to stop listening to the crap the media in this city pukes out on a daily bases. They are trying to create a peaceful  environment for the club. The best thing is for the club to just draft and develop and maintain a stable club house.

The media survives on turmoil.

Thats your opinion, why should I believe you?

Jim Benning's job is to build this team.  Not placate fans and the media.  Not to blow sunshine up their behinds.  Not to take advice from people who don't have a clue about how to run a sports franchise let alone build a good roster.  He was hired and is being paid to build a successful competitive team whether any of you like or agree with the process or not, and that isn't going to change, especially after just 2.5 years in.

Archived