The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Blue Jackets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Canucks are lucky how well Stecher is, the second effort in this guy is a fan favorite type of player easily. Hutton on the other hand still is horrible on defense, why is this guy a defenseman? He seems like he would do better being a forward, he has good offensive skill no question there, but he lacks defense big time.

Let's not get on Hutton, just because he is having a hard time. All he needs is a rest for a few games to get his form back. It is amazing how the hate on here is getting loaded onto this young guy in only his second season when the Twins get off Scot free night after night and apparently don't acknowledge personal responsibility for any of their foul ups out there.

I understand they have earned respect but there comes a time when even they have to accept that their game is becoming a shadow of what it was. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Bad bad game for Hutton.

On for two goals against, one not covering his man in front. Shoots it high and wide in OT that lead to the odd man goal the other way. He's gotta put that on net or pass it, you can't shoot it high in 3 on 3.

Good to bounce back, but the win was there for them.

Great piece of hindsight as as always DN.

An inch lower and I suppose you would have been celebrating a great shot. :P

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think that's a given.

Doug Lidster is in no way qualified to be an NHL coach. That's what happens when you let a rookie coach choose his staff.

Honestly what next?

In what way "in your opinion" is he not qualified to be an NHL coach?

For a while now our young rookie D has been one of the bright spots in our rebuild, are you telling us he has nothing to do with that?

9 hours ago, DSVII said:

I feel like the Canucks have now become the team that the elites take 'off days' against. Columbus didn't play us as hard in the third after walking over us for two periods and when that tying goal happened, they just turned up the pace and got the go ahead goal, twice.

You SAW THAT did you? Columbus walked over us in the first 2 periods? 

Did you actually watch the whole game?

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Willie seems to deal with some of his gaffes and improve in certain areas, and then just makes the most inexplicable decision that makes no sense. 

His inability to see Hutton's crap game right now is ridiculous. The kid should sit for a spell and another defenseman like Pedan or Subban. 

Hutton should be under the same scrutiny as Virtanen, Baertschi or any other younger player. But somehow he isn't.  

What do you want him to say?

You know fine what the media are trying to goad him into saying and so does he.

How do you know he doesn't see Hutton struggling out there but is trying to boost his confidence by not getting on his back and instead trying to let him play himself out of it? Sure he needs a rest but we are hardly overflowing with D who could make a difference. (please don't say Pedan, he's not even doing well in Utica :o  ) 

Maybe if Guddy hadn't gone down when CT came back Willie would have rested Hutton.

I have said for a few weeks now Hutton needs a rest but the one thing about the boy is he never lets up, he always gives it his all and it's not long ago we couldn't say that about most of our D.

4 hours ago, D'Angelo Russell said:

I remember that one post-game interview where the interviewer asked him if Horvat's line should get more minutes after a good game and he responded that the 4th line should get more minutes. He's more comfortable playing the 4th line than dealing with young player's mistakes. 

:picard:

12 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

2.3 goals per game is a problem. The biggest one we have don't you think? No D can solve that over a season. 

We've scored exactly the same amount of goals as the Sharks and 1 more goal than the Kings. Difference? 

Goaltending, defence and coaching (not in that order).

Defence trumps all. Just watch the Sharks take it to the Cup final again. They're deep offences without massive stars but the true stars are on defence. We scored goals tonight but again what kills us? Two bad defensive plays by Hutton. I'll give him the OT goal, no one's going to skate back to defend 3-on-3, but that 3-2 goal was some of the worst defending by a Canuck all season long, pretty embarassing and you bet its the sort of thing other teams hone in on when they're doing their scouting reports. If they know thats how our defencemen play, they're going to send more passes through the crease like that. They have all season and it's worked because our defencemen simply aren't quick or good enough defensively. 

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We've scored exactly the same amount of goals as the Sharks and 1 more goal than the Kings. Difference? 

Goaltending, defence and coaching (not in that order).

Defence trumps all. Just watch the Sharks take it to the Cup final again. They're deep offences without massive stars but the true stars are on defence. We scored goals tonight but again what kills us? Two bad defensive plays by Hutton. I'll give him the OT goal, no one's going to skate back to defend 3-on-3, but that 3-2 goal was some of the worst defending by a Canuck all season long, pretty embarassing and you bet its the sort of thing other teams hone in on when they're doing their scouting reports. If they know thats how our defencemen play, they're going to send more passes through the crease like that. They have all season and it's worked because our defencemen simply aren't quick or good enough defensively. 

okay, well hutton, ringed the post on OT so you cant really blame him, if it went in you would be saying something different, it was just an unlucky bounce.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

What do you want him to say?

You know fine what the media are trying to goad him into saying and so does he.

How do you know he doesn't see Hutton struggling out there but is trying to boost his confidence by not getting on his back and instead trying to let him play himself out of it? Sure he needs a rest but we are hardly overflowing with D who could make a difference. (please don't say Pedan, he's not even doing well in Utica :o  ) 

Maybe if Guddy hadn't gone down when CT came back Willie would have rested Hutton.

I have said for a few weeks now Hutton needs a rest but the one thing about the boy is he never lets up, he always gives it his all and it's not long ago we couldn't say that about most of our D.

After all those posts I guess you have us all straightened out and put in our place..being that you are one of the most discerning fans on CDC..:P

I dont understand the doom and gloom here.  We all know that the Canucks are in some kind of transition and everyone knows that Columbus is the hottest team in the NHL.

I wasnt too disappointed because 1) guys like Bo and Baer continued to put in a strong effort and get points, 2) Stecher looked good and 3) the team showed heart coming back 2 times in the third.  They could have packed it in, especially if they believed all the hype surrounding the game and the Blue Jackets.

Most of the young guys looked good, the team showed a lot of heart, and they took a top team (which on paper looks superior) to OT.  I think we are in for about 2-3 years of this sort of hockey...  

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Willie seems to deal with some of his gaffes and improve in certain areas, and then just makes the most inexplicable decision that makes no sense. 

His inability to see Hutton's crap game right now is ridiculous. The kid should sit for a spell and another defenseman like Pedan or Subban. 

Hutton should be under the same scrutiny as Virtanen, Baertschi or any other younger player. But somehow he isn't.  

Who gets the minutes on LHD since Edler is out?  Sbisa? ::D lol

For all those calling for Edler to be traded, this is what it looks like.  Nobody else is ready for top pair minutes and match ups LONG TERM.  

Good for Torts to have bounced back like he has. I still didn't like the way he approached the X's and O's side of the game when coached us, but his method works when it works.

It would have been interesting to see what Torts could have done with the team we had a season or two earlier than when he took over. Or even the team during Willie's first year here. Even if all he did was help us beat Calgary in the 1st round, it'd have been worth it not to have had to live through losing to Calgary again in the 1st round.

Torts came here to win, not rebuild, so I'm sure he wanted out as much as it was Linden firing him.

9 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

This team sucks big time.  NO consistency...well expect maybe for sucking. Since 1970 and counting.  The big one will sink Richmond before these morons win a Cup. It could be tomorrow or eons from now.  Bet on the quake first.

Start preparing for the liquidification ...before the parade; we'll send S&R to find/ save you all.

Archived