The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Blue Jackets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Really Dan?!!  You are point counting with this team?  DO you really think the focus should be on points with this group?  Good Lord, they are either spouting from a pre-packaged song sheet or are truly delusional.

Song sheet. All of their post game talk is the same. 

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Got the old a long time ago.  

Yeah. They seem pretty listless in interviews. You never see them fired up after a loss. Just the same rote phrases.

Then again, that's most hockey players. 

"Get pucks to the net."

"110%"

"Gotta play a full 60 minutes."

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. Hutton is, by far, the worst defenseman right now. But he gets the minutes and special teams. Time to sit Hutton. Would like to see Pedan out there. 

This is where Willie is beginning to drive me nuts..he threw cold water on that in his post game comments.

Seems CDC is about 2~4 wks AHEAD of Willie Shakes' learnin-curve. Keep him 'round, for a ninja-tank. Or gas him, if we get tired of the proverbial Einstein Insanity-test.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This is where Willie is beginning to drive me nuts..he threw cold water on that in his post game comments.

Seems CDC is about 2~4 wks AHEAD of Willie Shakes' learnin-curve. Keep him 'round, for a ninja-tank. Or gas him, if we get tired of the proverbial Einstein Insanity-test.

Willie seems to deal with some of his gaffes and improve in certain areas, and then just makes the most inexplicable decision that makes no sense. 

His inability to see Hutton's crap game right now is ridiculous. The kid should sit for a spell and another defenseman like Pedan or Subban. 

Hutton should be under the same scrutiny as Virtanen, Baertschi or any other younger player. But somehow he isn't.  

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Fortunate to get the single point...CBJ did not give us much..CBJ have a pretty impressive team..IMO  Wennberg,Saad,Jones,Werenski..and PLD maybe next year..Torts has done a good job with them (I think Torts excels on young teams that are entering their primes..Like the TB team of the early 2000's..He failed badly working with our vet team).

Stecher had a great game...Hutton fell asleep on CBJ's 3rd goal (there's going to be learning curves for all our young D)..but good pushback by the Canucks at the end.

I don't think our vets have enough gas in the tank to last a full season under Torts, nevermind playoffs. Columbus have young legs and a lot of their guys are mobile skaters.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Willie seems to deal with some of his gaffes and improve in certain areas, and then just makes the most inexplicable decision that makes no sense. 

His inability to see Hutton's crap game right now is ridiculous. The kid should sit for a spell and another defenseman like Pedan or Subban. 

Hutton should be under the same scrutiny as Virtanen, Baertschi or any other younger player. But somehow he isn't.  

Couldn't agree more. Smily's a good kid, with lots of upside. Perfect example of a youngin' you spot time-to-time, to develop into a guy who plays his position properly.

Willie also has no clue how to insert/utilize a team's depth & role-guys.

14 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I don't think our vets have enough gas in the tank to last a full season under Torts, nevermind playoffs. Columbus have young legs and a lot of their guys are mobile skaters.

Torts ran our vets into the ground (which inevitably leads to injuries - which we did end up having).

For all the grief I give Willie about 1-2-3-4, it is a sound tactic to use over the marathon that is the regular season.

Torts tactic then would've been useful in the post-season against the Flames but it was Willie moves that gave them enough gas to make it to that point.  Willie's problem was, he really didn't deviate from 1-2-3-4 in the post-season (that's when you ride your horses more when you see they're being very effective).

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

didn't hutton allmost score on that exact play? he could not get any closer than hitting the bar

had he scored wd would have made the correct decision

the fact that he hit the post means wd made the wrong decision?

wow, please explain this to me

cuz i do not understand the reasoning

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Torts ran our vets into the ground (which inevitably leads to injuries - which we did end up having).

For all the grief I give Willie about 1-2-3-4, it is a sound tactic to use over the marathon that is the regular season.

Torts tactic then would've been useful in the post-season against the Flames but it was Willie moves that gave them enough gas to make it to that point.  Willie's problem was, he really didn't deviate from 1-2-3-4 in the post-season (that's when you ride your horses more when you see they're being very effective).

The problem is that the Canucks were so good for so many years. They were good for so many years because Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, and Colorado were so bad.  It was not hard to run up the score and points totals when you were playing these teams 7 times each a season, winning most of them.  We were a product of timing. The only adversity we faced was in the playoffs.  And for most of those good years, we failed to endure.  Now that we have challenges and a diminished level of play, while waiting for the new group of leadership to take ownership, we should not be surprised with the results.

2 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

The only adversity we faced was in the playoffs.  And for most of those good years, we failed to endure.

You need a bit of good luck in the post-season.  Outside of hall of fame teams like the Habs in the 1970s, most Cup winning teams needed & got it.  

We had luck alright.....mostly bad.

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You need a bit of good luck in the post-season.  Outside of hall of fame teams like the Habs in the 1970s, most Cup winning teams got it.  

We had luck alright.....mostly bad.

This is so true, you do need luck.  But you also have to be able to take things into your own hands.  This team has had a hard time taking things into their own hands.  They need to find their killer instinct.  They need to rise through their adversity.  The problem, I have seen in too many games in the last ten years, when we had more skill, where we just let up and coasted because we wanted to endure the season.  This team, as currently constructed, cannot afford to coast.  It does not have the skillset to keep pulling rabbits out of its hats. For example, there was a time when the Sedins and Salo on a 4-3 almost always guaranteed a Canucks goal.  We now have problems scoring on a 5 on 3.  

Even when we did manage to have "good luck" as in 1982 (re: lots of things went our way that post-season including benefitting from the "Miracle on Manchester") near the end of that regular reason - we had our Captain & probably our best defenseman knocked out for the rest of the season in a freak on-ice accident [think it was in a collision with Gerry Minor?)

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

the company I work for gave out canucks tickets as a Christmas gift. was hoping to get the jets to see Laine. very disappointed id didn't egt that game

think I saw pretty cheap tickets advertised somewhere - under $50

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think that's a given.

Doug Lidster is in no way qualified to be an NHL coach. That's what happens when you let a rookie coach choose his staff.

I got real concerned about Doug when I saw the hat he wears on ice for practice.

Just put on a frickin' hockey helmet, would ya!!!

Image result for doug lidster on ice hat

Archived