The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HOT NUTS!!!! (and other holiday recipes)

JM_

So when I'm on holidays this time of year I try to make something really good every day. Here's my recipe for a really kick ass roasted nuts recipe that will make your home smell incredible and impress your non-cook friends. Post your own favourite recipes!

2 lbs mixed nuts (go for the bulk ones, they're identical to ones in tins and way cheaper)

3/4 cup brown sugar

tbsp sea salt

big handful of finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

big blob of butter

1/4 cup olive oil

adjust spices to taste if you like saltier, spicer, etc. 

Roast the nuts at at 350F for about 20 mins until they show a little colour, on parchment paper if you have it

in a microwavable bowl mix all the spices, oil and butter and warm for 30 sec or so until its warm enough to mix it all up

Put a big pan on medium heat and add in the roasted nuts and drizzle in the warm spice mix and stir for about 5 minutes until its all well coated and let cool a bit

Enjoy! 

One of my simple favorites - that everyone loves.

Maple salted caramel spread/dip.

1 litre / 4 cups of (organic) maple syrup - medium heat for 10 minutes of light boil - stir it consistently so it doesn't burn onto  your pot.

After 10 minutes, add

- 1 cup (organic) heavy cream

- 1/2 cup butter

Give it another 5 minutes before taking off heat.

Stir in:

- teaspoon vanilla bean

- tablespoon of pink or sea salt.

Simple and top shelf.

Dip apples in it.

Drizzle it over ice cream.

Spread some on cake.

Whatever.

Awesome, simple home made gift.

I'll be making this for a potluck this weekend, first time so I can't guarantee how good it is, but I don't really see how it can go wrong:

Oyster-Cornbread Stuffing

Make or buy a savory cornbread to use in this luxurious oyster stuffing recipe; the kind you use will determine how much broth you'll need to moisten it.

Ingredients

8 TO 10 SERVINGS

2 cups low-salt chicken broth

1 sprig sage plus 1 tablespoon thinly sliced sage leaves

1 sprig rosemary

1 pound breakfast sausage, casings removed

¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter

2 medium onions, finely chopped

1½ cups finely chopped celery

¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme

Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

4 dozen small shucked oysters in their liquor (about 1 cup liquor)

4 large eggs, whisked

12 cups savory (not sweet) cornbread cut into ¾-inch cubes, stale or toasted in a 300° oven until dry

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine broth, sage sprig, and rosemary sprig in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat and let stock steep until ready to use.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until cooked through, 7–8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl, leaving any rendered fat in pan.

Melt butter in skillet; add onions and celery and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add onion mixture, sliced sage, parsley, and thyme to bowl with sausage. Mix well; season with salt and pepper. Add oysters with liquor, reserved broth (sprigs removed), and eggs; toss to combine. Add cornbread; toss until well blended and cornbread absorbs most of the liquid.

Spoon stuffing into a 3-qt. baking dish. If any liquid remains in bowl, drizzle ¼–½ cup over to moisten cornbread (amount varies depending on dryness of cornbread). Bake until browned and liquid is absorbed, 1 hour–1 hour 15 minutes, tenting with foil if top gets too dark.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/oyster-cornbread-stuffing

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

So when I'm on holidays this time of year I try to make something really good every day. Here's my recipe for a really kick ass roasted nuts recipe that will make your home smell incredible and impress your non-cook friends. Post your own favourite recipes!

2 lbs mixed nuts (go for the bulk ones, they're identical to ones in tins and way cheaper)

3/4 cup brown sugar

tbsp sea salt

big handful of finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

big blob of butter

1/4 cup olive oil

adjust spices to taste if you like saltier, spicer, etc. 

Roast the nuts at at 350F for about 20 mins until they show a little colour, on parchment paper if you have it

in a microwavable bowl mix all the spices, oil and butter and warm for 30 sec or so until its warm enough to mix it all up

Put a big pan on medium heat and add in the roasted nuts and drizzle in the warm spice mix and stir for about 5 minutes until its all well coated and let cool a bit

Enjoy! 

Have you tried spiced nuts but with crystallizing the sugar with the spices? 

It's quite easy, you heat up sugar as you would making a caramel and once it's reached about 121c you dump in your nuts and spices (best to do it all at once) and take off the stove while continually stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar crystallizes. It may take a few tries but it's worth it. No need for any fats either.

14 minutes ago, canuckspride said:

Have you tried spiced nuts but with crystallizing the sugar with the spices? 

It's quite easy, you heat up sugar as you would making a caramel and once it's reached about 121c you dump in your nuts and spices (best to do it all at once) and take off the stove while continually stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar crystallizes. It may take a few tries but it's worth it. No need for any fats either.

That sounds great - I will definitely try that. 

RE: fats, sure, there's no "need" but there is "want" ::D

My favorite festivus recipe -

Stuff you'll need -

Cup of flour

Salt

Sugar

Whiskey

Baking soda

Sprinkles

Ice

Cup of milk

Two eggs

Method-

Get a bowl and put it on the counter.

Get a glass, put a cube of ice in it, fill quarter full with whiskey.

Park your ass on the couch.

When your wife or GF asks why there's so much crap on the counter, tell her you wanted pancakes, but settled for whiskey because you suck at making pancakes.

Enjoy your whiskey

Hopefully eat some pancakes with sprinkles in 'em.

Get another whiskey

And a beer

Kiss your kids good night.

Laugh at them when they tell you it's only 10am.

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

You missed gin.

20 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

No. He's not a lady...

Lol

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Scotch

Vodka

more SCOTCH

more VODKA

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

bruh

Yeah not a gin or vodka drinker but love me some thorogood!

Archived