The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

On 3/6/2016 at 5:12 PM, Curmudgeon said:

That's just a horrible idea. Benning is on record as wanting the team to be younger, faster, stronger and bigger. Jake hits all four needs, so if you send him to Utica, who else steps in that fits the mould? He is in Vancouver so the club can best control his development, fitness level, diet and work habits. I believe he's better off being mentored by the Sedins than by some career AHLer in Utica. Besides, there is way more to his game than scoring.

UUUh, Okay, tell me more how playing Virtanen on the 1st line for a whole season or two whilst regulating his scoring to a decent clip is a "horrible idea"

He is a very high draft pick, the kind of player who should be seeing more ice time than 3rd line minutes, think about it. If he plays in Utica for 2 seasons with top minutes, he is technically playing twice the amount of hockey over the course of the season, which is way better for his developement as a young player... The type of player doesn't matter, yeah the AHL is more of a grind it out league but there is nothing wrong with Virtanen showing us he is too good for the AHL, just give him a season maybe two...

In fact! I would put all 4 of Virtanen, McCann, Boesser, and Demko on the same Utica team for two years... btw if you think our players playing under Travis mcfrickin Green means we won't be able to take care of them Physically, Nutritonally, and help them play the Canucks system then you have a pretty flawed view of the team but that'sjust my opinion...

2 hours ago, 草 Kusa 草 said:

UUUh, Okay, tell me more how playing Virtanen on the 1st line for a whole season or two whilst regulating his scoring to a decent clip is a "horrible idea"

He is a very high draft pick, the kind of player who should be seeing more ice time than 3rd line minutes, think about it. If he plays in Utica for 2 seasons with top minutes, he is technically playing twice the amount of hockey over the course of the season, which is way better for his developement as a young player... The type of player doesn't matter, yeah the AHL is more of a grind it out league but there is nothing wrong with Virtanen showing us he is too good for the AHL, just give him a season maybe two...

In fact! I would put all 4 of Virtanen, McCann, Boesser, and Demko on the same Utica team for two years... btw if you think our players playing under Travis mcfrickin Green means we won't be able to take care of them Physically, Nutritonally, and help them play the Canucks system then you have a pretty flawed view of the team but that'sjust my opinion...

First, nowhere did I say anything about top line minutes. I did say I'd like him to be mentored by the Sedins, but that doesn't mean playing on the same line. Mentoring is showing, leading, tutoring, assisting and helping a younger, inexperienced person to become better at his or her craft.

Second, I stand by my contention that he should remain in Vancouver. He has shown enough to demonstrate he can play at the NHL level, so to send him to the AHL would be a backwards step.

Third, I said nothing about Travis Green not being able to teach the Canucks system. Don't jump to conclusions, please. 

Fourth, if you want to put Virtanen, McCann, Boesser and Demko in Utica for two years, go ahead, but they will still have to adapt to the NHL, they will still need mentoring and it is less likely they'll have the Sedins as role models after they have served your mandatory two year stint in the minors. But you will have proved your point, whatever it is.

1 hour ago, Cowardrobertford said:

He'd be good even if he's just a bit better than Vey offensively, which should make him a 40 pnt getter with 10-15g

would that make vey expendable? 

i think if he's exposed to waivers next season - he's as good as gone (vey). he's performed well enough where he could be a depth type of player for another team. 

18 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Eriksson Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Dorsett Granlund Vey

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Goligoski

Sbisa - Larsen

Pedan/Tryamkin

I would switch Sutter's line with Horvat's line. think Horvat is able to play top six minutes. he's proven he can. though his plus minus is a little concerning. 

Vey is alright as a spare part. I really disliked him last year but this year he is putting up a solid PPG, and has played on all lines on both Centre and Wing. 

If he was this good last year, and carried over that same level of improvement between seasons he would be a 2nd line centre. At 1 million dollars he could still have potential at his age to bring his game up another level, good value. 

Rodin is more the type of player who would float around the middle six LW spots. Maybe a Chris Higgins type if his defensive game is up to snuff (not the Chris Higgins of this year haha). 

Edited by canucklehead44

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

i think if he's exposed to waivers next season - he's as good as gone (vey). he's performed well enough where he could be a depth type of player for another team. 

I thought Rodin is a winger, who is supposed to be a goal scorer. He could compliment Vey the way EUROs play hockey

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm hoping Vey's moved for a pick or packaged in a hockey trade (Edler + Vey for Hamonic...?) towards the draft.

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Eriksson Sutter Rodin

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Dorsett Granlund Vey

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Goligoski

Sbisa - Larsen

Pedan/Tryamkin

If we're dreaming...

Sedin, Sedin, Okposo
Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Virtanen, Sutter, Rodin

Dorsett, Granlund, Etem

Grenier/Kenins

Goligoski, Hamonic

Sbisa, Tanev

Hutton, Larsson

Pedan, Tryamkin

Markstrom, Trade/UFA backup (Miller moved for picks/prospects)

Edited by J.R.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I would switch Sutter's line with Horvat's line. think Horvat is able to play top six minutes. he's proven he can. though his plus minus is a little concerning. 

Plus/minus is regarded as a "whatever" statistic but if he's out there and the puck is constantly in the back of our net despite him being good defensively then I think there's more to it than usual. Him and his line can play top 6 minutes but I don't think they're ready for the quality of competition they would face as a second line. It's a little too much for them already this season.

There's a reason we got Sutter and it's so that Horvat can develop without needing to handle too much responsiblity.

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Benning, after an interview on TSN 1040 yesterday, mentioned that he thought Vey would be claimed on waivers if they put him on it with the way he's playing. I agree, he'll be gone if we expose him to waivers this or next season.

47 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Ashima ‏@__ashima  23m23 minutes ago

#Canucks prospect and Brynas Captain Anton Rödin won SHL's Golden Helmet Award for league MVP.

How many games did he miss? Because if it was as large of a chunk of the season as I think it is, that's incredible that he still won.

On 2016-03-06 at 8:32 PM, Curmudgeon said:

... I stand by my contention that he should remain in Vancouver. He has shown enough to demonstrate he can play at the NHL level, so to send him to the AHL would be a backwards step.

1.  Perhaps I'm overly swayed by the way his scoring has fallen off since since his first few games and by his very low faceoff %, but I haven't seen enough yet to conclude he's ready to play at the NHL level on a regular basis yet. 

2.  Backwards steps aren't necessarily bad for development.  The easiest example I can think of is Leon Draisaitl.  Last season the Oilers decided he wasn't ready after 1/2 season in the NHL and gave him an even larger backwards step, all the way back to juniors.  He wouldn't have been eligible for any other step outside the NHL because of the NHL-CHL agreement about junior players being returned to junior.

One can never predict what his development would have been if they'd kept him in the NHL, but It would be hard to argue the backwards step hurt him.  He was poor in the NHL last season but this season he's 2nd on the Oilers in scoring and 4th among Oilers' forwards in average time on ice.

The key isn't whether it is a forwards or backwards step in calibre of opposition, it is whether the NHL is the best level for him to develop into the best player he can become for future editions of the Canucks.  It remains to be seen what this summer's training will bring but the speculation that a season in Utica might be good for him seems reasonable enough at this stage.

I don't pretend to know what will be best for him next season, but am of the opinion that giving him the Draisaitl treatment would have been better for him this season.  Otoh, because the Canuck suffered a number of key injuries shortly before McCann reached a half season on the roster, it isn't surprising that they kept him with the Canucks.

Oops-this isn't the Jared McCann talk thread?  Ok, to relate to Rodin, if the Canucks sign Rodin it could make sense to keep him in the NHL ahead of McCann even if just as a placeholder if the team feels a season in Utica would be the best place for McCann's development.

Edited by tyhee