The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

I see Rodin playing on a line with Hansen or Etem...all fast wingers.....but I'm not sure who's the fit as their center....Granlund maybe?..a great line but surprise center would be Eriksson.

Hansen or Etem , Granland , Rodin 

Hansen or Etem , Eriksson ,Rodin - which will never happen but I feel is the best Rodin line.

their plus minus would be high plus.....not many goals against these lines.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

Can't wait til Training Camp to find out.....Going to be fun...watching line and D combos

and Goalies....is Miller the weakest link of the goalies.

Camp will be fascinating. While I do not consider the Canuck prospect depth anywhere deep enough it is a great leap forward from only a few years ago.  It was only a few years ago when Canuck GM's made desperation trades from a absolute position of weakness. Today, while not a strong position, Benning has options, sweet!

On 7/16/2016 at 10:51 AM, J.R. said:

Yeah I wouldn't have Eriksson on the Sedin line either.  

The way they're building the team, they want to run 4, two way lines. I don't think we'll have a traditional 'checking' or fourth line. (Though Sutter and Horvat's lines will see the most D zone starts/'checking').

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Burrows, Horvat, Etem/Virtanen

Etem/Virtanen/Rodin, Granlund, Dorsett 

Zalewski (over Grenier as he can also play  C and is more consistent) as 13th.

My guess is one of Virtanen/Rodin doesn't make the club. Wouldn't surprise me to see Virtanen in Utica (and it would probably do him wonders for numerous reasons).

Any lineup I see with Burrows in it anymore makes me think - waste of cap space and opportunity for a better/younger player.  I know he is signed and I know he will likely play.  But I see a past their prime player, albeit with the heart of a lion, and feel bad for him and the fans.  

I hope it doesn't become a focal point as in "why is Burrows still playing and who's spot/salary is he taking that would benefit the team more?" The decision to let this play out and see what happens, of all the recent decisions, causes me the most concern.

Hope I am wrong - #nomoredramapleaseluongoschneiderkeslerwasmorethanenoughforawhile

PS: I didn't realize that Rodin was Captain for Brynas and all at the age of 25 as well.  I have a good feeling about this one.  I think with the Sedins help he could become a player.  He is also a LH shot who plays RW. Ring any bells?

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Any lineup I see with Burrows in it anymore makes me think - waste of cap space and opportunity for a better/younger player.  I know he is signed and I know he will likely play.  But I see a past their prime player, albeit with the heart of a lion, and feel bad for him and the fans.  

I hope it doesn't become a focal point as in "why is Burrows still playing and who's spot/salary is he taking that would benefit the team more?" The decision to let this play out and see what happens, of all the recent decisions, causes me the most concern.

Hope I am wrong - #nomoredramapleaseluongoschneiderkeslerwasmorethanenoughforawhile

PS: I didn't realize that Rodin was Captain for Brynas and all at the age of 25 as well.  I have a good feeling about this one.  I think with the Sedins help he could become a player.  He is also a LH shot who plays RW. Ring any bells?

Oh if it was up to me, short of him coming in to camp flying and just out -hustling/working/playing young guys, I'd likely have him in Utica player-coaching.

It's pretty clear management has him on the roster barring disaster though, so I include him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Oh if it was up to me, short of him coming in to camp flying and just out -hustling/working/playing young guys, I'd likely have him in Utica player-coaching.

It's pretty clear management has him on the roster barring disaster though, so I include him.

I hear you.  My lineup would look like this in my dreams:

Sedin, Sedin, Rodin

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Etem, Sutter, Hansen

Zalewski, Granlund, Virtanen

• Upvote 2

On 2016-07-16 at 4:06 PM, cripplereh said:

would love to see him on the second with Sutter or third with horvat and baer

I think Sutter would protect Rodin really well.  Baer  Sutter Rodin  (if they sign another LW; Baer bumps Etem)

I'd rather see Hansen with Horvat.

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

I hear you.  My lineup would look like this in my dreams:

Sedin, Sedin, Rodin

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Etem, Sutter, Hansen

Zalewski, Granlund, Virtanen

I'd actually LOVE to have a Virtanen, Horvat, Hansen third line. Going to be tough to make that happen this season though IMO.

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd actually LOVE to have a Virtanen, Horvat, Hansen third line. Going to be tough to make that happen this season though IMO.

Going to be tough no matter what, considering neither Hansen nor Virtanen have ever played left wing, have they?

4 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I think Virtanen did in junior when he played for the Hitmen.

I'd be interested in seeing Virtanen shifted back to LW at some point to try to fit him into the lineup. If they're after a big scoring LW, they may already have one. With Eriksson, Rodin, Hansen and Dorsett, right wing is locked down. When you put that big right handed shot on the left side like Ovechkin and Laine, it prevents problems for goaltenders.

Well colour me surprised.  If he can play the LW, then it may not look as bleak on that side as I thought.

Virtanen will have a lot to prove in camp.  While everyone is expecting him to be in Utica for the year, remember that he did make the team last year so if he comes into camp legit, then I'm not so sure.  I can totally see him on the 3rd line with Hansen and Horvat - the latter of which I believe will HAVE to be moved up to the 2nd when he's clearly performing better than Sutter, as I expect.

I'm not so sure we have a "lock" on the right wing.  Everyone is expecting big things from Rodin, but I'm not convinced.  If he doesn't work out, the best we have to work with is Hansen.... who isn't quite a 2nd line player under most circumstances.

I also felt Baertschi was over his head on the LW, and there is no way that even if Virtanen is better this year that he slots into the 2nd line role. 

Overall, I think our 2nd line wings are still quite suspect, and I think if Benning does get another top six winger that would help give us the talent up front we need.  I just don't believe we have the trade chips to do so.....

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I'd be interested in seeing Virtanen shifted back to LW at some point to try to fit him into the lineup. If they're after a big scoring LW, they may already have one. With Eriksson, Rodin, Hansen and Dorsett, right wing is locked down. When you put that big right handed shot on the left side like Ovechkin and Laine, it prevents problems for goaltenders.

He'd be a better scorer there but Willie might want him on the right side for him to learn a more cycle and grind puck protection and possession game. We definitely have enough on the rght wing though considering Rodin and Burrows.

I'd love to see Jake on the LW around the faceoff dot during the powerplay though! He had a wicked pro-level shot in junior and I'm sure it's gotten harder as he's bulked up. Imagine the one-timers.... *droool*

Back to Rodin, I really wonder what management and coaching will do with him. Will he be given a spot because of him being the SHL MVP or will he have to earn it?

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

He'd be a better scorer there but Willie might want him on the right side for him to learn a more cycle and grind puck protection and possession game. We definitely have enough on the rght wing though considering Rodin and Burrows.

I'd love to see Jake on the LW around the faceoff dot during the powerplay though! He had a wicked pro-level shot in junior and I'm sure it's gotten harder as he's bulked up. Imagine the one-timers.... *droool*

Back to Rodin, I really wonder what management and coaching will do with him. Will he be given a spot because of him being the SHL MVP or will he have to earn it?

It's the little forehand flick off the boards and his speed that puts him in the clear on the breakaway. Put him with Horvat and Hansen and defensemen are going to be quaking in their skates on the backcheck. I love Rodin as the 2nd line RW. He's got the right stuff now that he's found his 2 way game.

Edited by canuckledraggin