The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Rodin comes in and shows well and we move him (or Baer, or Granlund) + say Tanev for a nice top 6 prospect ::D

That's likely the only way we get a top prospect or young player.

Does Buffalo bite to move Sam Reinhart? He seems to be a little undervalued there right now. Might be the best time to snag our future top 6 center.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That's likely the only way we get a top prospect or young player.

Does Buffalo bite to move Sam Reinhart? He seems to be a little undervalued there right now. Might be the best time to snag our future top 6 center.

I know JB doesn't read these boards, or even have a clue (what goes on here), but ALF LOVES SAM, and we need him:)

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know JB doesn't read these boards, or even have a clue (what goes on here), but ALF LOVES SAM, and we need him:)

I know they love Tanev and what he brings, but they need to be honest about where the team is at and what Tanev's value is now vs what it will be in a few seasons.

The two biggest pieces missing from this team going forward right now is a number 1 center and a number 1-2 D-man (depending on how Juolevi develops).

Trading Tanev for that center would allow us to focus on more top 6 scoring in the draft, or to try and land that number 1-2 defenseman for the future. We can find stay at home D-man like Tanev in the future and his value will likely never be as high as it is right now.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know they love Tanev and what he brings, but they need to be honest about where the team is at and what Tanev's value is now vs what it will be in a few seasons.

The two biggest pieces missing from this team going forward right now is a number 1 center and a number 1-2 D-man (depending on how Juolevi develops).

Trading Tanev for that center would allow us to focus on more top 6 scoring in the draft, or to try and land that number 1-2 defenseman for the future. We can find stay at home D-man like Tanev in the future and his value will likely never be as high as it is right now.

Depending on how Brisebois continues to develop, they might already have a near ready replacement for Tanev. 

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Depending on how Brisebois continues to develop, they might already have a near ready replacement for Tanev. 

That's one area that I'm actually not worried about with this team going forward. In his 2 and a half years here Benning has shown he has a great eye for defensive talent whether it be through the draft (Juolevi, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Forsling), through trades (Gudbranson), or through free agency (Stecher). One more draft where we take a high end defenseman and I think we'll almost be set there.

The area that worries me the most is high end offensive talent. We have what looks like a good start with Horvat and Boeser. But it gets a little grayer though with Virtanen, and even more uncertain with guys like Lockwood, Gaudette, and Zhukenov.

We need as many offensive pieces in the pool as we can get right now, and if that means sacrificing depth on D, so be it. It's the only option we have right now if they don't want to ensure a top 5 pick.

1 hour ago, meh_wassup said:

This is the worrier and pessimist in me talking, but I feel like I need to get this off my chest - maybe I should precede this by saying "My name is James, and I'm a worrier."

Say Rodin finally comes back but he's behind the 8 ball all year because he's been playing catch up since day 1. He doesn't have a good year. Should the Canucks give him another chance next year? I'm torn because a part of me says yes he's still young and he didn't get a fair crack at it, and another part of me says he will be 26 so how much better can he be next year if he didn't work out as a 25 year old?

I don't know folks, I'm struggling here. I guess this counts as my best @Alflives impression.

Consider -- if he doesn't do overly well, we'll have no problem with him exposed in the expansion draft.  Plus we can sign him cheap again next year.

</worries>

Just now, DeNiro said:

That's one area that I'm actually not worried about with this team going forward. In his 2 and a half years here Benning has shown he has a great eye for defensive talent whether it be through the draft (Juolevi, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Forsling), through trades (Gudbranson), or through free agency (Stecher). One more draft where we take a high end defenseman and I think we'll almost be set there.

The area that worries me the most is high end offensive talent. We have what looks like a good start with Horvat and Boeser. But it gets a little grayer though with Virtanen, and even more uncertain with guys like Lockwood, Gaudette, and Zhukenov.

We need as many offensive pieces in the pool as we can get right now, and if that means sacrificing depth on D, so be it. It's the only option we have right now if they don't want to ensure a top 5 pick.

Meh, we're only roughly half way through the rebuild and we haven't even lost the Sedins yet (which may equate to some higher picks when we do).

Seeing how much he transformed our D in the last couple years, I'm pretty excited to see what he does in the next couple years with our forward group. Added benefit being that those skilled forward guys tend to be able contribute for sooner after being drafted than D, goalies or PWF's like Virtanen.

We add a couple more Horvat's or Boeser's at the draft in the next 2-3 years and have a couple of Lockwood, Gaudette, Zhukenov etc turn out on top of what we already have and we'll be just fine IMO.

• Upvote 1

I imagine he will be around Baertschi level, unless we've figured out if he's taken a step yet or not. I think due to circumstances u have to give him another year past this one, because he was doing some special things and had good hockey minds thinking he could be something. Gotta try and understand what we have here. 

Personally I'm fairly optimistic, I was more optimistic of him when he was in the AHL though aswell. I thought his previous AHL failure had almost as much to do with circumstance as it did his ability. Plus some guys just take longer to develop. Many Euro guys playing in the league today that weren't high picks but still turned out to be good players spent a few couple years in the Swedish league or Finnish league or whatever. There are many examples.

Realistically I think he could be like Baertschi, tons of ability, shows signs of top 6 upside, and we will have to see what he can ultimately be. Although the one thing I'll say is that makes me kind of optimistic he could already be better than Beartschi is that; unlike Baertschi, coming here when he's fully developed as a player could be an advantage for him, maybe not. But we will see. I'm excited to see him play. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Consider -- if he doesn't do overly well, we'll have no problem with him exposed in the expansion draft.  Plus we can sign him cheap again next year.

</worries>

Doesn't he have to play a certain amount of games in the NHL before he's eligible for the expansion draft? Plus if he's a ufa at the end of this year then it won't even matter because Vegas wouldn't pick him up. I'm not really worried about how we will get rid of him I'm just unsure if we should bring him back and give him another chance or not.

I do like that you ended your comment with an HTML closing tag tho ;)

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Rodin was never likely going to be a long term fit here anyways.

With Eriksson and Hansen already here and Virtanen and Boeser coming in the next couple seasons, I don't see a scenario where he's here past next season anyways. What I'm hoping for is that he can boost his value for the second half of the season and maybe fetch us a prospect in return.

Yeah that's true although if he produces eventually he could replace Eriksson or Hansen. 

well depending on how Rodin does at the expansion draft it will be for forwards Rodin, Granlund or Baer so to me if we could make a deal and get rid of two of the three plus and get a good forward LW would be my call we will be ok,or at the draft make a big splash or threw UFA's , then JV steps up fially and Olli shows he can be a top pairing we will have pieces to make a big deal to have 3 great lines and good D

7 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

And if Virtanen starts playing well and deserves a recall......

If Virtanen starts playing well then he can play on the 1st line in Utica and maybe get some PP shifts...He is not coming anywhere near the Canucks this season, as it should be.

26 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Doesn't he have to play a certain amount of games in the NHL before he's eligible for the expansion draft? Plus if he's a ufa at the end of this year then it won't even matter because Vegas wouldn't pick him up. I'm not really worried about how we will get rid of him I'm just unsure if we should bring him back and give him another chance or not.

I do like that you ended your comment with an HTML closing tag tho ;)

Gotta keep things straight!

Rodin already requires protection because of pro games played, same as Larsen.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gotta keep things straight!

Rodin already requires protection because of pro games played, same as Larsen.

Ahhh so it depends on pro games not nhl games? Wait if that's the case how Biega has to play a certain number of NHL games? He certainly has more than enough pro games under his belt from the AHL. I know this is a quick Google search for me so maybe I should just do that...

1 minute ago, meh_wassup said:

Ahhh so it depends on pro games not nhl games? Wait if that's the case how Biega has to play a certain number of NHL games? He certainly has more than enough pro games under his belt from the AHL. I know this is a quick Google search for me so maybe I should just do that...

Pretty sure pro games include NHL, KHL, SHL etc.

AHL is considered a minor league.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They're still paid to play in the AHL. To the extent of my knowledge that is what constitutes a pro league. Seems pretty arbitrary that they would consider the AHL as a minor league and not a pro league.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I guess it kind of makes sense. I mean if it wasn't the case then teams would just call up a random player from their farm team at the end of the year and expose him for the draft.

7 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

They're still paid to play in the AHL. To the extent of my knowledge that is what constitutes a pro league. Seems pretty arbitrary that they would consider the AHL as a minor league and not a pro league.

ECHL players are paid (very little) and that's definitely not a pro league.