The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD today: believe him or call BS

AlamoCanuck

Makes sense or Call BS  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/willie-desjardins-explains-canucks-short-defence-rodin-benching/

Personally I think WD full of it.  Swedish league MVP...plays Magna on PP and with Sedins instead...devastated by injuries...Rodin Benched but throws out #45 with 3mins left down by goal.

But just because I dont believe a coach doesn't mean he is automatically full of it, so thought I would see what others think 

Let's see what Willie does with him in the next few games, l hope he gives Rodin a good chance to prove himself. I am kind of in the middle of this poll, I just felt bad for Rodin, it must have been really emberassing for him....

21 minutes ago, AlamoCanuck said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/willie-desjardins-explains-canucks-short-defence-rodin-benching/

Personally I think WD full of it.  Swedish league MVP...plays Magna on PP and with Sedins instead...devastated by injuries...Rodin Benched but throws out #45 with 3mins left down by goal.

But just because I dont believe a coach doesn't mean he is automatically full of it, so thought I would see what others think 

I've seen more than enough of Megna I'm going snap if I see his useless ass on the top line and PP again.

Sutter should be moved up to the top line and top PP unit and it's time to get Boucher and Rodin in for other plugs like Chaput and Skille for at least a game this is getting ridiculous.

Sitting Rodin an entire game embarrassing him and not giving him even 1 shift should never be done by any coach and there's no excuse and I hope JB told him that.

I'm not on the firing WD side just yet but I've seen enough foolish decisions from him to have me concerned of this teams future and if it were up to me I'd make a decision in the off season based on what my most respected players say at that point and his results.

25 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Let's see what Willie does with him in the next few games, l hope he gives Rodin a good chance to prove himself. I am kind of in the middle of this poll, I just felt bad for Rodin, it must have been really emberassing for him....

he'll let rodin have about 1:26 minutes of ice time, then the gdt blows up "WHERE THE #$%^ IS RODINNN"

It all makes sense to me about until they start talking about Rödin having banged up his knee. 

They didnt anticipate both Tanev and Hutton being unable to play. So they didn't call anybody up. And then decided to dress 13 forwards so they'd have a spare guy available if another forward got injured.

I'm with you Willie. Makes sense. Making the best of a tough situation.

Well kinda. I still think a callup would have been possible, even given the travel situation (and it's been pointed out that they could have easily gotten somebody to Calgary from Utica with several hours to spare before the puck dropped).

But I digress.

My main WTF moment is about Rödin's playing condition. If Rödin's knee is aggravated, what kind of "insurance" was he actually providing? Would he have even played if they were down a forward?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to dress Boucher instead? If you wanted to have an "insurance" guy to jump in if there was an injury during the game, wouldn't a healthy player be the better option?

Wouldn't that make more sense than potentially throwing Rödin out, cold after sitting on the bench for the game, and asking him to play on a wonky knee?

51 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It all makes sense to me about until they start talking about Rödin having banged up his knee. 

They didnt anticipate both Tanev and Hutton being unable to play. So they didn't call anybody up. And then decided to dress 13 forwards so they'd have a spare guy available if another forward got injured.

Well kinda. I still think a callup would have been possible, even given the travel situation (and it's been pointed out that they could have easily gotten somebody to Calgary from Utica with several hours to spare before the puck dropped).

But I digress.

My main WTF moment is about Rödin's playing condition. If Rödin's knee is aggravated, what kind of "insurance" was he actually providing? Would he have even played if they were down a forward?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to dress Boucher instead? If you wanted to have an "insurance" guy to jump in if there was an injury during the game, wouldn't a healthy player be the better option?

Wouldn't that make more sense than potentially throwing Rödin out, cold after sitting on the bench for the game, and asking him to play on a wonky knee?

I'm with you on this.

If Rodin's knee took a knock the game before then you don't dress him as an extra when you have Boucher who has proven he can score at this level (in a very defensive system in NJ no less)

You have WD saying "I like Rodin" then sits him on the bench for an entire game when we NEED to score some goals because we're severely short on the back end... 

I smell fish

Wow. This is like the whole Tryamkin situation all over again. Until all of the players are injured, he won't play Rodin no matter how hard he practices and how ready Rodin is. And given that Rodin is a forward, he won't get much chance.

Can't play a guy that he is not sure of? Was he so sure of Sutter and Sedins, that's why they played more than 21 minutes per night and we lost 9 straight? He was so sure of Bo's offensive abilities that he wanted Bo to focus on defensive side of things by playing on the fourth line?

There is a risk associated with every decision for sure. I think the team is playing decent but it can definitely be better. It's the decisions like this that can potentially improve the team and it is the head coach's job to give these players opportunities to show that they can be a valuable addition to the team. At the very worst, you need to see what you got in the player by playing him in less meaningful games -- in case there are injuries as we make a push for the playoffs or if we do make the playoffs (small chance I know), then you know what you have in the player so that you can adjust your game plans depending on the opponents.

It sounds like WD doesn't see much value in Rodin, as can be seen from his, a guy that he is not sure of comment... so if the head coach is not sure of this guy, then who is supposed to be sure? WD needs to say, Rodin isn't ready to play or is ready to play, not sure is not an acceptable answer. Is he ever going to be sure? I don't understand this comment.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But I digress.

There was a full roster.  So they couldn't call up a player without sending someone down.  

When a player is put on waivers - he takes 24 hours to clear.  Is he still considered on the roster when the waiver process is underway?  or did it have to be Gaunce as he is the only forward that is waiver exempt?

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But I digress.

22 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I'm with you on this.

If Rodin's knee took a knock the game before then you don't dress him as an extra when you have Boucher who has proven he can score at this level (in a very defensive system in NJ no less)

You have WD saying "I like Rodin" then sits him on the bench for an entire game when we NEED to score some goals because we're severely short on the back end... 

I smell fish

Good analysis by Sid. I did not vote in the poll because, while I don't think WD is lying, I also don't think he is making complete sense. As Sid says, the part about expecting either Tanev or Hutton to be okay and then it was too late to get a guy in from Utica makes sense. And even if a guy does make it to the game after traveling all day, he might not play well. As WD says, you might be better off going with 5 guys in that situation.

But the stuff about Rodin does not make sense for reasons explained by Sid. As @mll pointed out in another thread, a team has to dress 18 skaters, but they did not have to dress Rodin.

He might be under a small amount of pressure, to win and keep his multimillion dollar job going. Just saying easy to speculate when there are no consequences for us, and he literally has worked his entire life to try to get and keep this job. 

19 minutes ago, Derp... said:

He might be under a small amount of pressure, to win and keep his multimillion dollar job going. Just saying easy to speculate when there are no consequences for us, and he literally has worked his entire life to try to get and keep this job. 

I don't have the numbers but I don't think Willie's contract is for multi-millions of dollars. Regardless, as the head coach he should be doing what is best for the hockey team, not himself. He's settled in since he started but still isn't very savvy in speaking to the media. 

As a tanker (or, a realist) I wouldn't mind him staying the whole year because his coaching decisions over the duration of the 2nd half of the season will slowly creep up on us while other teams make the push for their playoff spots. 

If I'm Rodin, and I just won a league MVP award then I fly across the world to play and get sat an entire game by a (basically) rookie NHL coach, I'd be embarrassed. Willie makes weird decisions and spews ham-handed excuses to the media. 

Willie, to me, seems like a tit for tat, low ball kind of guy. Not who you'd want coaching a NHL team. 

I'm still giving Willie some rope on part of this. As Sid already pointed out he had no way of knowing both Tanev and Hutton would be out, so he didn't feel the need to call up another D man.

However just as with Sid I have a problem with dressing a player as a back up plan if he's injured. Why risk aggravating his injured knee further? Or if he thought that he wouldn't play why even bother dressing him? It's not like he lacked any effort when on the ice. There were several times he got the puck turned over and his speed is evident when he played. He was going as hard as he could.

It can be extremely embarrassing

and completely throw off a player's development to dress him and sit him on the bench. What's the point? Do we remember what Calgary did to Baertschi? I don't want to go down the same road with Rodin.

I'm not a fan of saying that he's unsure of a player either. He's done that with every single young guy we've brought in. What's the point of it? What does that accomplish? To make a player grip the stick a little bit tighter and overthink instead of using their instincts because they know the coach is watching them?

Also why does he say he felt bad for Rodin and that they want me to put him in, but I have no idea where he's at, because I haven't seen him play many games? He could have very easily avoided that guilt and how is the coach supposed to get an idea if the player doesn't get a chance to play? I'm not back on the fire Willie train, but these decisions perplex me and he obviously does not know how to handle the media here.

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

Is the guy ACTUALLY fit though. In the first Flames game he did a fast skate to chase behind the net and braked hard at the boards - his face was contorted, grimacing in pain and he struggled back to the bench. After that he was more or less invisible.

I tend to think this is another guy not ready who has been forced into playing in Vancouver by management.

He should have played longer in the A and probably would have if it were not that we are desperate for skilled forwards - however desperate or not this is what happens when a player is rushed.

20 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

I'm still giving Willie some rope on part of this. As Sid already pointed out he had no way of knowing both Tanev and Hutton would be out, so he didn't feel the need to call up another D man.

However just as with Sid I have a problem with dressing a player as a back up plan if he's injured. Why risk aggravating his injured knee further? Or if he thought that he wouldn't play why even bother dressing him? It's not like he lacked any effort when on the ice. There were several times he got the puck turned over and his speed is evident when he played. He was going as hard as he could.

It can be extremely embarrassing

and completely throw off a player's development to dress him and sit him on the bench. What's the point? Do we remember what Calgary did to Baertschi? I don't want to go down the same road with Rodin.

I'm also not a fan of saying that he's unsure of a player. He's done that with every single young guy we've brought in. What's the point of it? What does that accomplish? To make a player grip the stick a little bit tighter and overthink instead of using their instincts because they know the coach is watching them? I'm not back on the fire Willie train yet, but these decisions are pretty perplexing.

I thought he was dressed to comply with NHL rules. There was no way Willie was going to play him, he all but said that. The fact the player agreed I think proves he knew he wasn't fit to go.

Do we not have enough problems with out stirring up stuff that has passed. We played with 5 D and we were unlucky not to win.

3 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

I've seen more than enough of Megna I'm going snap if I see his useless ass on the top line and PP again.

Sutter should be moved up to the top line and top PP unit and it's time to get Boucher and Rodin in for other plugs like Chaput and Skille for at least a game this is getting ridiculous.

Sitting Rodin an entire game embarrassing him and not giving him even 1 shift should never be done by any coach and there's no excuse and I hope JB told him that.

I'm not on the firing WD side just yet but I've seen enough foolish decisions from him to have me concerned of this teams future and if it were up to me I'd make a decision in the off season based on what my most respected players say at that point and his results.

THE BIG PICTURE - it escapes you.

Archived