The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans outside the Lower Mainland and BC, why do you cheer for the Canucks?

mta

When I was a kid I came to northern Canada as a refugee in the late 80's.  I was baptised in Canadian culture with hockey cards and watching HNIC.  I'm a home team fan (Canucks, Lions, Blue Jays, Raptors) and the run in '94 (and Bure) made me and my dad fans for life.  Eventually even my mom became a big fan, she never misses a game. 

Spent a year in working in Vancouver. 2005-2006 Season...

Sedins with Anson Carter + final swan song for West Coast Express as well as Jovo.

Went to GM place all the time... Magic (despite the team being in transition).

Loved the people and the area... One of the best places I've ever been to, if not the best.

Good times.

I was five years old in the spring of 2000 when I saw Modo, my favorite team, play Brynäs in the semi finals of the Swedish league playoffs. Modo's top line was called "Line 19" and consisted of Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and Mattias Weinhandl (all of which were 19 years old at the time). They were dynamite, I remember one game where they combined for six goals, scoring two each and dominating every shift. Sadly Modo lost the in the finals to Djurgården, but I still loved the Sedins.

During the summer I found out that my favorite players were gonna move to Canada to play in the NHL and a team called the Vancouver Canucks. I remember thinking that they had super cool jerseys and instantly became a fan. One day my dad told me that if I wanted we could go see the Canucks play against Modo in Stockholm. I was super pumped and it was the greatest game I'd ever seen. I also got a white orca jersey that I wore like every day for a year. 

Ever since then I've been a Cancks fan, I thought Markus Näslund was super cool and I always hated Peter Forsberg because he got all media attention in Sweden (I started crying when I found out that Peter had passed Markus in scoring in the last game of the season back in 2003.) In high school I used to get up at 4 am and watch the Canucks play at least once a week, I was so bummed out in 2011 when Brad Marchand scored the empty net goal to make it 4-0 that I went to bed again (it was like 6 am Swedish time) and I supposed to work in the morning. 

I wish the Canucks could win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime, and hopefully I'll be able to make the trip to Vancouver when they do, but you never know...

I was born in Burnaby in 1969, there was no choice really. Cheer for the Canucks with every fibre of your being or risk being shunned by the community. 

I would rather die than risk being ostracized by my tribe.

We are in a race to see if the 'Nucks win da cup once before I die.

Go you pesky Canucks go! 

Born and raised in Langley, my dad was a leafs fan and I hated them, it took years and years but finally turned him to the good side. I was always wearing some kind of Canucks apparel everyday as a kid (and Seahawks) I've suffered as a professional sports fan for years, only the Seahawks have won a championship in my lifetime, nothing for the Canucks, Mariners or Grizzlies. 

3 hours ago, The Game said:

I was five years old in the spring of 2000 when I saw Modo, my favorite team, play Brynäs in the semi finals of the Swedish league playoffs.

OT - your then favorite team in 2000 must have really had a bad season in 2010-11 for Byron Ritchie to be leading the team in points that year.:P

Born in the lower mainland in '64...grew up all over the province. But in '66 I discovered hockey (lived in PG at the time...so damn cold I could actually "skate" - I was 2 - to the tennis court at the end of the block where the big kids played. They took me under their wing and taught me young...adult stick and all). Problem was, all I ever saw on HNIC in '66 was Montreal and Toronto...so...hell no. The big bad Bruins were my team. Then the most wonderful, spectacular, life-changing event happened...the Canucks. My dad took me to the old Pac Coliseum (I think?) for my first game...against Toronto. I was hooked. No matter where I have lived in the world they have been my team. Now I live in enemy territory, smack dab 1/2 way between the Flamers and the Coilers. I'm lonely. Every once in a while I'll see a truck with a Canucks logo in the back window...and I smile a bit. I wanna just go up to them and hug them. But that would be creepy right? At a red light?

I was subject to the norm in the prairies growing up. Watching the early HNIC which consisted of the Leafs(barf). When I grew old enough to make my own decisions(lol) I would stay up later and watch the second game, which normally had the Canucks playing.

Big Bert was bae. Early babyfaced Sedinery.

Also made it easier that the Manitoba Moose in Winnipeg were the Canucks farm team at the time. I watched the likes of Kesler, Bieksa, Burr, Ryp, Hansen, Raymond, Schnieds, Edler come up, and I'm probably forgetting someone lol. 

Been in love ever since. Haha

being born and raised in vancouver's east end, i rooted for detroit through the 6 team league. when vancouver got their franchise in 1970, they got me too. loved kurtenbach and quinn and rosie paiemont.  through good times and bad, i've been there rooting for the team ever since. i suppose that, if smithers ever got an nhl team, i might start rooting for them. 

27 minutes ago, canuck204 said:

Also made it easier that the Manitoba Moose in Winnipeg were the Canucks farm team at the time. I watched the likes of Kesler, Bieksa, Burr, Ryp, Hansen, Raymond, Schnieds, Edler come up, and I'm probably forgetting someone lol. 

Unlike with this current management (who haven't thrown alot of bones to their AHL affiliate), the Moose were thrown a big bone when the Canucks signed a mercenary to play for the Moose one season....AHL allstar Jason Krog.

I'm from Melbourne Australia and just married my wife who was born and raised in North Van. I went along and watched the canucks when I was visiting her family in early 2015. Canucks beat Winnipeg in OT with Sbisa scoring the game winner and I've been hooked ever since. I watch maybe 50% of the matches but listen to the tsn post game show if i miss it. The few things that I've picked up along the way:

1. Blake Price is negative to the point that he is unlikable. The Canucks this year are looking at exceeding outsider expectations yet every since game he is constantly harping on the same things. I understand he is analysing the game and thats his job but wouldnt hurt to focus on some positives for the year as it progresses. Also of note he seems quite disrespectful to the callers.

2. Why is everyone on the forums crying out for the Canucks to tank? I understand the point of view that the lower you finish the better chance you have of drafting a top player but along the way you lose your culture. Have some pride!!

3. I hate WD. From looking/listening to him for the past few years its quite clear that he is out of his depth. He lacks so much confidence and I cant exactly imagine him revving the players up with an inspirational speech from the way he come across in interviews. Everything is 'good' for him. "Yeah he was good", "i thought they were good", "He had a good chance in the first". Anyone else notice he says good about 10-15 times in every post game interview. He is exceptionally safe in his answers and exceptionally safe in his match day decisions.

4. Horvat is a gun! Considering our overall lack of offence I'd say his numbers this year have been outstanding. Also baffles me as to how low a ceiling people were putting on him during his first two seasons. 

Love the Canucks and win or lose going forward in the years to come i'll be enjoying the ride.

My good buddy who was/is always talking about hockey introduced me to the team and the sport. The Canucks are his fave team too, and he's always posting about them online,  etc. In 2010.11 I finally decided to watch some games (great time to start, eh) and I got hooked. This, in spite of growing up in California, close to both the Kings/Ducks (they did off season skates at the rink right behind my house) and Sharks at different points in my life. 

It's funny because the buddy who got me into this isn't even from Van himself, but from Florida. He adopted the Canucks as his team because he liked their jerseys in some old NHL N64 game as a kid. He picked them as arbitrarily as I did. Now we're both hooked for life :wub:

10/10 forum topic. Would highly recommend. 

My Dad was a Canucks fan, and so I was just raised to be one I guess. Can't imagine ever cheering for a different team. I am now a way bigger fan then my father.

When the Canucks were terrible there for a few years (before the west coast express), my dad kind of started cheering for Dallas. He liked Modano and Hull. That didn't last long though and he was back to the Canucks.  I however, could never switch teams. I will always be a Canucks fan. For better or worse. haha.

Kamloops Jr Oilers and then the Blazers. 

The Canucks were either on the AM radio or on our rabbit ears. 

My dad got me into it and he was happy BC got an expansion team. He is still bitter about the Leafs, but he equally hates Alberia, who iced incredible 80's teams. 

It was awkward when he'd play Big League by Tom Cochrane when we drove to my games in the North Okanagan. 

Ive been waiting for the end of the Sedin era since the day it started. Not my style. 

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Kamloops Jr Oilers and then the Blazers. 

The Canucks were either on the AM radio or on our rabbit ears. 

My dad got me into it and he was happy BC got an expansion team. He is still bitter about the Leafs, but he equally hates Alberia, who iced incredible 80's teams. 

It was awkward when he'd play Big League by Tom Cochrane when we drove to my games in the North Okanagan. 

Ive been waiting for the end of the Sedin era since the day it started. Not my style. 

Yeah, the Laffs were one the teams that essentially vetoed Vancouver getting a team in the first big expansion from the league prior to 1970 (I think it had to do with them not wanting to share TV revenues with another club?).  Regardless....**** the Leafs.:)

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah, the Laffs were one the teams that essentially vetoed Vancouver getting a team in the first big expansion from the league prior to 1970 (I think it had to do with them not wanting to share TV revenues with another club?).  Regardless....**** the Leafs.:)

Good one, yes!

Archived