The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans outside the Lower Mainland and BC, why do you cheer for the Canucks?

mta

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I was born and raised in Vancouver and my dad took me to my first Canucks game in 1954 (I think) at the old PNE Forum against the Edmonton Flyers. My dad was a sports junkie and we would go to as many Canucks, Lions and Vancouver Mountie games as we could, great memories. Still fondly remember Brooks Robinson as my favorite Mountie and Tom Larscheid being one of my favorite Lions when he came to Vancouver in the early 60's.

We remained huge fans of the Canucks after they made it to the NHL and always talked about what it would be like if, and when, we ever won the Cup. My dad lived long enough to see the first two Cup finals for the Canucks and it almost broke his heart (and mine) to see the Canucks lose to the Rangers. He had a bottle of Balblair 1989 single malt that he said we would drink to celebrate the first Canucks' Stanley Cup. I still have that bottle today waiting for that Stanley Cup....beginning to think I may have to pass it on to my grandsons for them to celebrate that occasion.

I've been cheering for the Canucks since 1970 in Cowtown now.  My dad passed away last spring and never got to see them hoist a Cup either.  I too am beginning to think I'll never see them win one as well.  Still have the Lions to cheer for though.  Sure would be great to see MLB enter the Vancouver market.  Although the Yankees would still be numero uno.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

I've been cheering for the Canucks since 1970 in Cowtown now.  My dad passed away last spring and never got to see them hoist a Cup either.  I too am beginning to think I'll never see them win one as well.  Still have the Lions to cheer for though.  Sure would be great to see MLB enter the Vancouver market.  Although the Yankees would still be numero uno.

I would love to see MLB there as well. I have been a Braves fan since they beat your Yankees in the 1957 World Series. I actually got to meet a member of that Braves team (Wes Covington) in Edmonton years later and we talked about that World Series. To this day though, my fondest memory was going to a ball game at the original Yankee Stadium and wandering through all the monuments of former great Yankee players.

20 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I would love to see MLB there as well. I have been a Braves fan since they beat your Yankees in the 1957 World Series. I actually got to meet a member of that Braves team (Wes Covington) in Edmonton years later and we talked about that World Series. To this day though, my fondest memory was going to a ball game at the original Yankee Stadium and wandering through all the monuments of former great Yankee players.

Well I've got a serious case of envy now, nice to have met the former Brave as well.  I hear the new stadium has some problems with sight lines in certain areas which created issues with holders of season tickets.  Funny about 57/58 we obtained a boxer pup and named him Casey after you know who...Casey Stengel.  He was a great dog.

Air Force brat. Born in Ottawa, short stays in Fort William and Val D'or, finally ending up in White Rock in '61 because my mom's parents lived there. Both my parents were avid hockey fans. Her, being from western Canada, a solid Leaf fan. Him, Montreal born and raised, a Habs fanatic.

In 1970, hockey peace was finally declared in our household when they both started rooting for the Canucks. How do I abandon a team that can do that?

Gretzky? Pffft. Big deal.

When I was about 8 yrs old someone bought me a Habs jersey for Christmas. 

I started to like hockey. That was about the time the Canucks entered the league. My mom was cleaning a house for someone when the owner came home from work. He was a pretty gruff guy. He bawled me out for wearing that jersey . He called the Canadiens a bunch of frogs.  

You have your own team here in Vancouver he said. A short while later i started playing street hockey in the park with the older boys in yarrow where I grew up. They were good to me that way by letting the little kid play.

A lot of them wore Canucks stuff. Then someone gave me a Canucks jersey and in started wearing that instead of the Montreal one. 

Then my sister took me to a blues game. It was 5 bucks including the bus ride from the school. We lost 6  4  but in was so hooked on the Canucks and have been ever since. This is my favorite site by a long shot.

Love all my canucklehead brothers and sisters. And also furry friends from outer space.

On 1/27/2017 at 9:51 AM, swizzey said:

I live in Charlotte NC, but grew up in Vancouver. I have always loved the Canucks through thick and thin. I still stay up for game starts at 10pm most of the time and watch the whole thing until 1pm. My wife hates me for it!

Hey Swizzey! I lived in Roanoke VA in the late 2000's. Last live Canucks game my wife and I went to was at PNC about 2 years ago. I got 2 upper deck, front row, centre ice tickets with premiere parking pass for $125.00. Love going to games there except the crowd is a bit quiet. Where's the goal siren? Where's the "Sweet Caroline"?

On 1/27/2017 at 10:26 AM, Team Bagues said:

Growing up in Victoria I could listen to Tom Larschied and Jim Robson going off about the Steamer, King Richard and the Tiger on the radio while my parents thought I was sleeping.

Howie Meeker's telestrator was a big selling point as well.

Mostly geography I guess - but the curse of being interested has stuck ever since.

Howie Meeker's Hockey School and Peter Puck between periods! And of course...SHOWDOWN! The NHL still has Showdown now, it's called a shootout, and counts.

I was a Habs fan in a Bruins household. Loved the speed and finesse of the 60's & 70's Habs teams. Sammy Pollock GM and Bowman as coach.

I started to drift when Vancouver got their team in '70. I could listen to every Canuck game on AM radio which clinched the deal. I started to go to Van on business in the mid 70's and actually got to some live games. Smyl in '82 and Linden in '94 cemented it.

99% of people follow the team from where they come from.....or lived during their developmental years like 10-30.

Even moreso for us older guys.  I am not even that old, but when I grew up, we got maybe 10-15 Canuck games a year on tv.

Then you had Leaf games on HNIC or Canadien if you have French CBC.

If you wanted to be a fan of another team it would be pointless.  Like if you wanted to be an Islander fan....you might see them once or twice a year on tv.

You wouldn't even be able to get them by radio.....and they didn't have highlight reels like now.

If you wanted to find out the score in their games.....the best way would be to read the newspaper the next morning.

I've been a fan since 94.  I was 9 at the time.  Panel Bure was the reason initially.  It then morphed into a love of Linden and Kirk.  I am a loyal guy, so I stuck with them.  I do think in a way the team chooses you rather than the other way around.  For the most part the Canucks have played offensive hockey relying on European players and Swedes predominantly to lead the team.  I have always enjoyed that style of hockey over a pure north-south game.  The Sedins would be my favorite players even if they didn't play for the Canucks.  I do also enjoy watching Montreal and Ottawa play.  I think Labamba said that he sees Ottawa as a twin of ours of sorts.  Maybe that's why I like them so much too.  The Hossa years were awesome and Karlsson is unbelievable.  I know that with the salary cap things have leveled off now, but I do see us as a bit of underdog.  That I enjoy as well.  Even though Detroit is the epitome of the hockey we are trying to play.  I could never enjoy watching them.  Maybe it's an American thing...

Born in Burnaby, lived in the Fraser Valley til 2003 (Okanagan since then). Started listening to the Canucks on NW98 in the mid 70s because my dad was a fan. My favorite players at that time were Don Lever and Dennis Verergardt. Went to see a lot of games at that time as they were not that good and my dad would get free tickets thru his work (row 6 blue Line!). Got to see a Philly game and the ensuing bench clearing brawl. Nucks and flyers had 2 of the toughest teams back then. Have cheered them thru all 3 cup runs, 1st as a teenager watching with dad, 2nd as a young father watching with my dad again, 3rd as an older dad (my dad passed in 2003, so sadly did not get to see what was the most overall talented team). In my 50s now, maybe I'll see a cup with my grand kids? GCG!

First some background on me (sorry if it bores you).  My mother was born in Saskatchewan and my father was born in Princeton BC.  They met in Vancouver while my Dad was in Shaughnessy Hospital.  My Dad was a Second World War vet and after the war he contracted polio and my Mom was a nurse at Shaughnessy.  My parents moved to Phoenix Arizona where I was born in 1957.  In 1960, we moved to the Lower Mainland and in 1962 my Dad got a job working for the Municipality of Surrey (he worked there for 20 years) which is now the City of Surrey.  I was happily brainwashed by my mother to become a Saskatchewan Roughrider fan (still am) and I saw the Riders win the 1966 Grey Cup (in Vancouver).

I became a fan of the Western Hockey League’s Vancouver Canucks in 1968 as I followed Jim Robson’s great broadcasts as they won the league championship in 1969 and 1970 (1969-70 was their last season in the WHL).  The WHL was a second tier professional league based in western USA and Canada.  At that time, as far as the NHL, I was a Montreal Canadiens fan.  My Dad took me to some of the WHL Canucks games and I really enjoyed them.  I wish I still had some of those WHL game programs and I wish I would have bought their team “sweater” (these would’ve been interesting keepsakes).  As an 11 and 12 year old, I remember lying in my bed at night listening to Jim Robson’s broadcasts of the WHL Canucks.  He was a wonderful play by play announcer and he used to always say hello to people in hospital and the “shut-ins” who couldn’t make it to the game.

When the Canucks began their first season (1970-71), I switched my NHL allegiance from Montreal to the Vancouver Canucks.  A few of the WHL Canucks players made the NHL squad.  I wasn’t a big fan of the stick-in-rink logo but that’s another story (I prefer the new tweaked stick-in-rink).  While we couldn’t afford season tickets, I saw quite a few NHL Canucks games at the old Pacific Coliseum.

In 1979, I moved to Alberta (for work) and then went to BCIT in 1986.  From 1988 to 1991, I lived in Olds AB, Didsbury AB and Calgary.  Having gone to many Flames games, the Flames became my second favourite NHL team but I have always been a Canucks fan first.  While in Alberta, I also saw a few Rider games (in Calgary and Regina).  It wasn’t easy being a Canucks fan in southern Alberta in the 1980s (lots of good-hearted teasing).  In early 1992, for work and lifestyle reasons, I moved to the beautiful City of Salmon Arm (BC) and I remain (sometimes frustratingly) a Canucks fan.

There are lots of Flames and Oilers fans in the Shuswap and Okanagan (lots of Albertans have moved here).  However, there are still lots of Canucks fans like me outside of the Lower Mainland.  A lot of people don’t realize that the Canucks are not only Vancouver’s team but also BC’s team.  Since moving away from the Lower Mainland, I haven’t made it to many games in Vancouver but I’ve enjoyed them when I can go.

Sorry for the long story but it covers my 46 years as a Canucks (NHL) fan.

Even though I am born and raised in Vancouver, When I was a lil' kid I got in to hockey because of the Great One...One day I was watching the Kings play Vancouver on TV (I had no idea that the Canucks were our team)..and my dad had just came home from work and busted me cheering on the Kings (because of Gretz of course) He than proceeded to beat the Sh!t outta me and told me I can only cheer for the Canucks if I want food and not be homeless...So what choice did I have?

Been a Van Fan ever since...now excuse me as I go take a advil..I still have concussion problems from that day.

I am from Germany. I have been to Nanaimo from January to June 2009 for a school exchange. And then I started to watch some games

with my host father.. It was a great time, one of my first games that I saw was the Canucks vs Blackhawks with that huge brawl where Bieksa

fought Eager. Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler, Luongo, Rypien.. it was easy to fall in love with this team! Same with Horvat now, he is a true leader

and great to watch. I could never cheer for any other team, watching the team I love in the Playoffs makes my heart beat in crazy ways...

Nice thread, good stories!

Archived