The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Canucks make the playoffs without the Sedins each averaging 1 point per game?

Vinny in Vancouver

Can Canucks make playoffs without Sedins each averaging 1 point per game?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely. Vancouver can be a playoff team with the Sedins scoring at 60-70 points per 82 games pace. Horvat, Baer, Sutter, etc are great for secondary scoring, but not primary offense. We do not have enough offense to make the show if they are barely scratching 50 points (like right now).

I'm always usually, most times, Positive......................................

Go Canucks Go

Our winning streak, against average teams, saw the team compete and win, I was excited.

Go Canucks Go

Going forwad, the schedule looks challenging, some of the vets look exhausted, they are not producing points or playing tough defensive hockey.

When we play the elite teams we look lost, out gunned, exhausted and we make mistakes. They are really good teams granted

who said "it's a process!" ?

Without the vets producing points we are not going to make the playoffs fellow Canucks fans.

Just my humble opinion 

Go Canucks Go

2 hours ago, darkpoet said:

That actually worries me a little bit. 

I have the utmost respect for both of them as players and human beings, but some of our "younger" players aren't all that young anymore.

Tanev for example will be 28 next season. That's not all that "young" anymore. Not old by any means, but when you look at guys like Horvat, Boeser (if he signs with us) Baer, Granny,... their average age will be 22 y/o next season.

At that rate, and assuming that group will be part of the next core, Tanev will be in the latter part of his career by the time we're approaching contention again. (hopefully)

My point is, by keeping Hank and Danny here out of "respect" you're taking valuable time away from developing and otherwise moving ahead with your new core. I get you have to have great players available to replace them, but the thing is while they're still here a number of young guys aren't being given that chance "out of respect" 
It's VERY rare you're going to have rookies or young players south of 23 come in an instantly be first liners. They need time to practice their chops. That can't happen - or is a lot more difficult to do - if both Sedins are still occupying a top line role. 

Hank is on pace for 49 points this season and is a -15
Danny is on pace for 40 points and is a -11

Horvat's on pace for 53 points and is a -4

It's time for a change. The Sedins are trending down (and sharply this year) while Horvat is trending way up. If they get traded to a contender this year ( I HOPE that happens) and re-sign with us next year to play it out, then I hope that Linbenning and coaches give the top spot to Horvat. Throw Boeser on Horvats line and what you can find to compliment them, then throw them out there without a leash. Put the Sedins+? on the 2nd line and roll with it.

Any long time fan knows this team has been wayyyy to patient for too long and too often.. Sometimes you just have to take a chance instead of playing it safe all the time. It's a young mans game, right?

The twins will absolutely not be dealt by this management before the end of their existing contracts. JB has been clear on this. Whether we want it to happen or not. The point for fans to come to grips with is we dont want them resigned for  an extension. 

19 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

The twins will absolutely not be dealt by this management before the end of their existing contracts. JB has been clear on this. Whether we want it to happen or not. The point for fans to come to grips with is we dont want them resigned for  an extension. 

You're probably right.
Having said that, there were teams reportedly interested in taking them both on. Add to that Benning's recent comments regarding "talking to players and their agents" about their NMC/NTC's , and you suddenly have a totally different situation.

I'll say this, if a (contending and/or close to contending) team comes at Benning with an offer he simply can't ignore, 100% he WILL approach both of them and put it on the table.
If it does, and he doesn't, then he should be immediately fired. 

There's a big difference between loyalty, and stupidity.

Realistically, there's almost no chance the Canucks make the playoffs this year.  The team that would be easiest to catch is Calgary at the moment.  Even then, if Calgary continues at the average pace for the season (mind you, they've picked it up lately), the Canucks would have to play 0.600 hockey for the rest of the season to make it in.  What's 0.600 hockey?  Equivalent to about a 100pt season or 17 or 18 wins in the final 29 games.  Is that gonna happen with this Canucks team?  Highly unlikely.

If the Canucks are not sellers at the TDL, GMJB and the rest of the management staff are delusional.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If the Canucks are not sellers at the TDL, GMJB and the rest of the management staff are delusional.

Yes and whats your point ?  That was established last year at the TDL .

Canucks management clearly spends too much time at the local GREEN clinics now open in Vancouver. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks management clearly spends too much time at the local GREEN clinics now open in Vancouver. 

True, but you gotta think they MUST have learned from last year.... right?... right?  Am I right?.... I hope so...

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Ignoring the fact that Dallas went with Russell instead and Hamhuis rejected 2 destinations. 

As well as Vrbata openly saying if he wanted to be traded he would have been traded...

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ignoring the fact that Dallas went with Russell instead and Hamhuis rejected 2 destinations. 

As well as Vrbata openly saying if he wanted to be traded he would have been traded...

NHL players are paid big bucks to play.  NHL General Managers are paid big buck to manage.  Time for Jim Benning to start earning his contract.....  No one said it was an easy job but this is not  A TRY HARD LEAGUE - This is the GET IT DONE LEAGUE. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

NHL players are paid big bucks to play.  NHL General Managers are paid big buck to manage.  Time for Jim Benning to start earning his contract.....  No one said it was an easy job but this is not  A TRY HARD LEAGUE - This is the GET IT DONE LEAGUE. 

Speaking of sticking heads in the sand. 

Vrbata and Hamhuis had NTC it is there contractual right to veto ANY trade. 

Seriously pull your head out of your ass for one day and actually see the forest for the trees. 

You're so anti Benning you don't bother with facts and strictly go to utter bs that only suits your narrative. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Speaking of sticking heads in the sand. 

Vrbata and Hamhuis had NTC it is there contractual right to veto ANY trade. 

Seriously pull your head out of your ass for one day and actually see the forest for the trees. 

You're so anti Benning you don't bother with facts and strictly go to utter bs that only suits your narrative. 

Why are we blaming JB for the Hamhuis fiasco, when there were multiple reports it was our owner getting involved that messed things up?

Archived