The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

It's not an excuse 82 times a year but it was tonight.

They should just do away with the bye week. Having the five days off isn't worth compressing the schedule in other places. You just end up with teams playing like garbage on either end of the break.

This put a smile on my face. They said the ceremony was earlier in the night. Too bad Leaf games always go late because they have some lame thing going on before their games otherwise maybe this ceremony should have been included in the hockey day telecast,

pat-quinn-statue.jpg

Cr*p refereeing.... bad penalties called on both teams... and obviously the 2-0 goal should have counted.  Refs should be sent back to the minors.

Obviously Miller stole this one... chalk up another reason to sign him for another year or two.  Couldn't fault him on the goal which tied it... he was completely screened.

Another great game by Edler... not so much his goal... but his defensive play has been really strong lately... physical, good poise in his own end and good passing.

Bad game overall by the Canucks forwards group... they were not fighting for the puck in the D-Zone, were not getting it out when they had too... too many bad passes and wasted opportunities to clear.  They have to do better tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wow what a game. Playoff-like feel. Fluky goals just like in the post-season, tight, close checking. Outshot almost 2-1 again, but to be fair they were a tired team coming back from a long road trip and Calgary were waiting.

I said it before, if we lost this game that's the season. That's a HARD point to give up to Calgary which we may need at the end of the season, but getting 2 points up on LA and Nashville who stayed stagnant today is massive. This was a must-win and we won it. Gritty win, certainly didn't deserve it.

1) On the whole, the team looked tired. They weren't skating well. Passes were all over the place, and timing was terrible. In our D-zone we were running around frantically slapping pucks off the boards and out (if we were lucky) and had no good communication or passes up the ice. Dreadful play. We're at our best when we calm down, make little passes up the ice and skate well, and none of that was happening tonight. Whether it was fatigue, bad training or just the Flames were too fast for the Canucks on the forecheck, we struggled all night long defensively and deserved to lose this game 4-1.

2) Sedins were hopeless offensively tonight, but on the plus-side they were pretty good defensively with Granlund and didn't concede any massive chances against which I take as a win. In the offensive zone their passes were all over the place, way too many turnovers, and poor Granlund is working like a dog to steal pucks and set up chances only for the twins to lose a puck battle along the boards or give up an interception. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to split up the Sedins and use them as playmakers rather than cyclers because their game doesn't match the cycle anymore either - their passes are off and they're not strong enough to win puck battles. 1 pretty goal every 4th game isn't good enough, we need to use their passing and spread it out a lot more. Look at the OT goal. Sedin - Sutter - Tanev. Passer - Shooter - D-man. Ended up with a couple of beautiful passes to the shooter in the end. That's what we need more from the Sedins, and the only way to get it will be to split them up. Brilliant game by Granlund all over the ice however. That was a nasty pick-pocket of Giordano.

3) Horvat, Burrows and Hansen were buzzing tonight. Deserved that goal that was taken away, Burrows could have had another but they were our good energy line tonight again. Sometimes Horvat tries to do too much and I think opposing defences are closing in on him as our #1 center now, so we're about to see it get much tougher for Bo. This happened with the twins, they went through a short lull before their skill broke through and no doubt Bo will do the same. More importantly they were all great on the PK tonight.

4) Sutter and Eriksson look like they have some little chemistry, they didn't get too much done tonight but modest defensive games by both of them. Almost no offence but won a couple of board battles. Megna looks like Hansen out there but with even less offensive skill, just a good skater. No idea why he's on the top unit PP when Granlund really should be the trigger man there though.

5) Not sure what happened to Skille but our 4th line was hopeless tonight. Gaunce had a couple nice looking rushes, Chaput went in alone and both times the 4th line look for a pretty pass as opposed to a shot or taking it hard to the net. Pathetic. We end up with almost half Calgary's shots and that's why. Edler slaps it from center ice and scores. Chaput is essentially a foot away from the crease and passes it off to the side. This is a team that needs shots, if not to score than at least tire down goalies, and whiffing passes away from a fourth line is unacceptable. Bad game by them IMO.

6) Our defence played pretty well on the most part tonight. I think the big struggle was passing the puck up the ice from the defensive zone by everyone, but we did really well to shut out a very hot, strong Flames offence for 54 minutes. This was a big physical game and it was good to see we're up to the task. Edler threw his body around, Tryamkin was a beast, Sbisa had a quietly strong physical game and I was surprised Hutton and Tanev threw some hits too.

7) Edler was classic Edler tonight. He is still a game-changer. First 40 minutes he was the best guy on the ice (including Miller IMO). Absolutely dominant. Scores a fluky goal, sure, but it was far more than that. He was hitting like a machine, he looked big out there, won puck battles all over the ice, good stick in the defensive zone, jumped up in the offensive zone smartly and had a few more good shots and chances. He looked like he was going to carry this team in the first 40-50 minutes of the game.

Then in the last period he looked tired. Old tired Edler started to come out. This has happened time and time again, especially when he looks exhausted, and he played a hard 25 minutes of physical hockey which is close to too much for him. I feel like every time he's over the 23 minute mark he starts to make mistakes and a couple of little mistakes, whiffs and bad passes crept into his game in the 3rd period. Still, he was our 2nd best player behind Miller. Unlucky on that screen of the Calgary goal however, but just before that he made a very nifty swat out of the air on the PK when Miller was diving the wrong way to bat a puck out of mid air out of the net (may not have been going in though). Give credit where credit's due, without Edler this game is a blowout against us. He was fantastic tonight and we need more strong consistent games from him if we want to make the playoffs. He has to be our best defenceman.

8) Stecher had a couple of really good rushes and passes but it looked like WD benched him for some reason in the third period. He's a small guy and had it tough against some pretty hard hitting Calgary forwards so really hung in there nicely. More importantly, in the D-zone his passes actually connected which was a rarity for this team all night long.

9) Tanev had an up-and-down game too which nicely coincided with Edler's. At the start he looked a bit rusty, pucks rolling off his stick and a few turnovers, but he steadied his game and of course that was a beautiful GWG in the overtime to win it, pretty clutch goal by him. Give credit to Tanev too, he isn't the most physical guy but won a lot of tough puck battles against bigger forwards than himself.

10) Sbisa had a quietly strong game tonight, didn't throw big noticeable hits but played really tough along the boards to win puck battles. Most importantly, Sbisa and the rest of the defence didn't allow any A-grade chances in the center of the ice. They collapsed down nicely for most of the game to prevent that and only allowed shots from the outside. Great blocks by Sbisa all night long (Edler too).

11) Hutton and Tryamkin have had some rough defensive nights in the past but tonight I thought they were fantastic. Hutton skated well, nice shooting every now and then but I thought he played his most physical tonight and he looks good when he's playing that brand. Threw his body around a little bit along the boards. Tryamkin really thrived in a game like this as you could see, the matchup between him and Brouwer was all night long and Tryamkin lost it at times (Brouwer with a beautiful shot from the slot saved by Miller at one point) but at the end of the day Tryamkin didn't get scored on. He really held his own tonight in a game where he was needed to be physical in front of the net. Gudbranson would have been lovely for tonight's game but it begs the question - who do you take out? Without Tryamkin in the slot we get wrecked by their crease presence.

12) Miller was obviously our best player tonight, of course deserved the shutout but gladly he gets the win. I think we need to ride him pretty hard the rest of the way considering Markstrom's questionable goals the other night, 20 games left, maybe a 14-6 split if Markstrom is lucky. 

TL;DR - Sloppy play all round, Edler had a monster game and was a game-changer, unlucky goal against but the defence did a great job all night of collapsing and not allowing prime scoring chances, just lots of pressure and shots from the outside. It's rope-a-dope hockey and not pretty, but this team is capable of scoring a couple of goals here and there and I think this is what we're going to see for the last 20 games. Desperate defending and opportunistic scoring. Hopefully it works. Must-win tonight and the boys got it done somehow so there's still some hope but anything can happen.

great game summary, again, thanks

I was at my first Canucks game in over a year tonight, happy it was a win. I think as a team tonight we overpassed on odd man rushes way too much. And it wasn't even the sedins, it was the team in general. It was appalling that they disallowed that goal in the first, absolutely brutal call. Regardless, we made up ground on Calgary and a win tomorrow will put us 2 back. 

6 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

They should just do away with the bye week. Having the five days off isn't worth compressing the schedule in other places. You just end up with teams playing like garbage on either end of the break.

Canucks have certainly proven your point twice this year. The pre-Christmas break game was a disaster, Willie let them off the hook by saying they "looked tired" and the pre-all star break game was just as bad.

Archived