The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

No way we make it to OT against the Hawks, Ducks, Pens or Caps if we play like that in the third. We are Lucky the Flames suck. 

Yeah they sucked a 3-1 win over Philly and a 3-2 SO win over the Pens in the previous 3 games. 

It seems teams only suck when they play us according to our "fans" -  Could it possibly be our team has something to do with that?

7 hours ago, Mustapha said:

I hate it when some fans say that 'we aren't real fans' because we are critical of the players and management. It is in fact THOSE fans who are the true disgrace.

Maybe it's because they embarrass themselves with their lack of knowledge about what happens with other teams in the League.

Or maybe because they NEVER seem to take into account other factors like injuries, lack of back up prospects with AHL experience, back to back games, long road trips, being in the middle of a rebuild, a first line that can't quite cut it any more - or like to-night playing a forward short for the 3rd period.

Surely "real fans" would factor in some of these things rather than resort to "this guy sucks or our team is cr-p" all the time like a broken record.

7 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

For sure...that third period has to be a real motivator going forward.  :huh:

Is that the one we played a man short? Is it possible Bo and Sutter are carrying injuries that haven't quite healed up?

Cut the guy a a break he is trying to be positive, something that is an anathema to these boards.

Powerplay let us down, but we limited the real dangerous scoring chances for the most part against. Flames goal was about as lucky as they come, so was Edlers, but Bo's obviously should have counted. Hope that ends up on his highlight reel at the end of the year, cause it should have been a goal. 

8 hours ago, darnucks said:

Not sure about here on the PGT but the GDT, I really love the dislike towards the Sedins. 36 years old yet still playing top line minutes and more than most forwards in the league, done everything for this team except win a cup. The two players they've played with on so many nights are Eriksson and Megna.

Megna 4G 3A in 39 games.

Our bona fide sniper Eriksson 11G 11A in 58 games with a -11.

Oh wow, Sedins suck. They should have 70 point seasons with just the two of them against all five players on the opposing team. <_<

Yes are they slowing down for sure but quite blaming them for the team struggles. They get more praise from opposing teams then they do from so many of the so called Canucks fans. You guys are a disgrace.

Yeah, now they're bringing Granlund down...lol

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Let the chips fall where they may.

Honestly even if we continue to lose we'll end up 28th at best, which knowing how things go we'll end up with a 5th or 6th pick. Whoopdie freakin do!

I'd rather them make an honest push and take the 10-15th pick if it comes to it.

A top 6 pick is going to be good this year. If anything JB should be looking to get another 1st this year. 

That could be Middlestad, Vlardi or Lilgren (sp.) Ramussen or Foote Those would all be great additions to our roster. If we can't get into the top 2 the next 4-5 players are all great picks.  They won't be NHL ready in their draft year, but all have the potential to be impact players in the NHL in a few years. 

I would like this team team to draft in the top 6 unless we can make the playoffs. That is the call that has to be made.  JB needs to get this right.  The team is primed to speed up the 'retool' with some TDL moves.  It it is very doubtful that we make the playoffs at this point.  

At the start of the season, I wanted to see a team that could compete, well, most of our team did just that.

Our top line didn't but positive strides have been made with almost all our younger players. I am happy with that outcome.  

IMO Time for management to focus on next season and making moves now that will be felt next year. 

This off season is JB's Waterloo.  Ownership will likely take a coaching change and live with the letdown of not making the playoffs. Doubt JB gets that mulligan 3 years in a row. 

I expect the youth movement to continue and players like Horvat, Trymakin Baer, Granlund and Stecher to all take over the team completely next year. 

Any impact player(s) from the draft will be able to come into this roster in 2 years. Prefect timing.  

Got to page 5 reading the posts...just want to say; the Canucks played a hellavu game. My hat is off to them.

Miller was solid, but so were the "D". 

It was obvious in the 3rd period, the Canucks played the "center line trap" and were relying on Miller to make the first save and at times he made the second save.

But to be honest, there weren't many second chances by the Flames because the Canucks were playing a tight defensive game...they limited Calgary's chances.

I believe there was only one prime scoring chance by the Flames in the 3rd off of a rebound and Miller slammed the door on it by making a spectacular save.

The fact remains, shot totals don't count for anything at the end of the game, other than for analytics to confuse the issue.

What makes this win great is the team just got back from a long 6 game road trip with a lot of travel, some players were nursing injury, and the Flames were well rested waiting for 2 days for the Canucks to arrive. I predicted a blow out by the Flames because of these factors. However, the Canucks won the game...Well done!

On the negative side, the attention to detail by the Sedins in the last 5 minutes was brutal.

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

Powerplay let us down, but we limited the real dangerous scoring chances for the most part against. Flames goal was about as lucky as they come, so was Edlers, but Bo's obviously should have counted. Hope that ends up on his highlight reel at the end of the year, cause it should have been a goal. 

Yeah our powerless play struck again.

8 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Canucks have certainly proven your point twice this year. The pre-Christmas break game was a disaster, Willie let them off the hook by saying they "looked tired" and the pre-all star break game was just as bad.

Exactly, the boys need to leave it all on the ice against Philly...play physical, play as fast as they can, drive the net and take shots./ go for the rebounds.

They have 5 days to recover after today!

GCG!

What a unique game that was, ref robbed our second goal, all goals scored were from defensive defensemen.  Miller was super sharp, and Tryamkin almost got into an actual fight. lol

Both teams really needs to work on offense and defense though.  And Willie needs to stop putting that plug Megna on PP.

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

You like your in-laws? You're the unicorn of marriage. 

Luv my in-laws...father in-law beginning of 2016, just had his 3rd open heart surgery (quadruple by-pass), the man has 9 lives. Very entertaining and good humour man. Glad he still walks this earth.

Today's health care in Canada...second to none. Hats off to our Doctors and nurses.

Mother in-law can cook up a storm...and the best thing, luv my wife (death do us part). It's a great life.

I know this is not going to go over well but im kinda getting sick of Stecher playing 20+ mins a game he's been struggling he's just to damn small without speed,he's good at keeping the puck deep on the pp but doesnt have a cannon of a shot to force pk ers to respect it making it dificult for plays down low. We need a point man that can blast thta f^&*(ing puck on the pp.

1 minute ago, Hockey101 class said:

I know this is not going to go over well but im kinda getting sick of Stecher playing 20+ mins a game he's been struggling he's just to damn small without speed,he's good at keeping the puck deep on the pp but doesnt have a cannon of a shot to force pk ers to respect it making it dificult for plays down low. We need a point man that can blast thta f^&*(ing puck on the pp.

Tryamkin?

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Is that the one we played a man short? Is it possible Bo and Sutter are carrying injuries that haven't quite healed up?

Cut the guy a a break he is trying to be positive, something that is an anathema to these boards.

I hate platitudes and that what WD was throwing out.  Just be honest with your assessment 'cause you're not fooling the fans, the hockey world or your players with that kind of nonsense.

If he wants to say they were out-played but battled hard fine but no-one would be motivated by getting their asses handed to them like last night.

It's why I am not a fan of the "win at all costs" mentality on a team with so many young and new faces.  After a game like that Babcock would say "the W doesn't matter if you don't' play the right way and we have to be better".  WD takes a game where they were out-played and spins it as a motivational moment. 

If you want positive..MIller was sensational and the only reason the game was even close.  Stecher had a good game, Edler was solid, Tanev scored and Bo was BO.

Poor flames fans, they lost the season series to the two teams they hate the most (and they think they are superior to!)- Canucks and coilers...maybe the point they coughed up last night will cost them the season.  That will be a hoot!

Even if they make the playoffs have fun with that swiss Cheese D  and goaltending and a 157lb turn over machine as your top line threat.

Archived