The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Rumour] Bob McKenzie notes the Canucks could be looking at moving Hutton for a Top 6 F

thejazz97

1 hour ago, Toews said:

This is going to be one quiet deadline. This time last year we had a bunch of trades to discuss. This year there has been nothing but AHL trades. The expansion draft to me seems like the biggest obstacle.

Anyone acquiring a non-rental contract has to consider how this would affect their protection lists for the draft. Anyone acquiring Hansen also has to consider whether they can protect him. If not then you are paying full value for a player and only getting a rental in return. IMO Hansen's value will be much higher after the expansion draft. Holding on to him could give a much better return when a team knows that they will have him for a full year after acquiring him.

the great thing about the protection list. is you can only lose one guy. if I was a gm I'd load up on a few quality guys.  you will only lose one of those few.  

prices seem pretty reasonable so far.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If you're a true contender, none of that should matter.

Like with Chicago every year, those things can be dealt with after the playoffs.

I agree that if the team is a contending team, they're more likely to do whatever they can to win it all. Deal with the ED when it rolls around, but the focus at the moment should be to gain as much an advantage over all the other "contending teams" in the league for a long, and hopefully fruitful playoff run that consumates in lifting Lord Stanley. 

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It does make sense to trade Hansen if his value is high right now and they believe Boeser and Virtanen can challenge for a spot next season.

Teams want players like Hansen going into the playoffs, he's our best bet at landing another 1st round pick IMO.

I see your point but I'm not sure we'd get a 1st round pick for Hansen because I think he's a player that's more valuable than given credit for across the league. I really dont think its a good idea when we have others to trade and to me this team doesn't need to do anything that will hurt the team short term. If we have to trade 2 of the guys I mentioned instead of 1 really good player like Hansen I'd rather do that or even throw Baertschi into a trade.

Also as much as I'd like it to happen not sure Boeser will be ready next season but I'd hope Virtanen will but my biggest thing is this team is desperately lacking speed and grit it's pretty damn bad we almost couldn't be softer and slower it's so bad. Watching how soft and slow this team is as a whole is maddening and sad really and it's definitely not a winning formula imo and we should be keeping the very few players we have that have speed and grit since it's so scarce not trading it.

Hansen's mix of speed, compete level, skill and team first attitude is very badly needed on this roster you just can't give that away for the chance some 2nd round pick would possibly provide years from now.

Watching this team pretty much every night I'd trade any of our forwards other than Horvat, Sutter and Hansen they're the only forwards imo really worth keeping and not trading.

2 hours ago, Pears said:

A smart GM would actually keep a good young player like Baertschi and trade Hansen for a good return, especially a GM running a team like ours that needs as many good young players as it can get. 

I know I like Baertschi's age and skill but I'm not sold on him yet I think Horvat has made him look better than he really is. I also don't like his his footspeed and grit level also he's someone who has trade value if we're looking to trade a decent forward + for a better forward and one with speed and size I'd hope.

I'd rather Baertschi traded with Burrows, Edler or Miller than Granlund or Hansen because of other things they bring to the table and better overall game they have than Baertschi.

Hutton has a lot of value right now as an expansion protected D with 2 years of NHL experience, good size, speed, and ability. If I was a GM of another team I would be trying to trade an expansion eligible D man who is slightly older and slightly better for Hutton to help keep my team as competitive as possible. Could also offer up a decent forward who would require protection for him in order to get some value, and a guaranteed asset for next season.

4 hours ago, CAkNUCKle sandwich said:

The second tweet is the one I meant to post, not the one above. I didn't know how to delete that one.

I can't believe that we get a player like Hutton handed to us on a plate and we are already considering offers after only two seasons. 

If Clubs call about Edler/Tanev it's because they want someone to help them go far in the Cup. When they are calling about a young guy like Hutton it's because they see a possible stud with a long successful career in front of him and they want that to be while he is playing for them.

I would lose all patience with JB if he considered trading him UNLESS it was for an established young top 6 forward stud who also looked to have a long NHL career ahead of him. Someone of Landeskog, Rask, Teravainen, calibre.

I don't want JB to roll the dice for a high pick and an unproven top prospect with no NHL history. We have already been duped out of Forsling (a trade I hated and said so at the time)

I'm not even sure Guddy is all we think he is nor am I convinced Stecher will survive this league physically. Since Hutton had a rest with an injury he has shrugged off his slump and looks back to his best.

5 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I can't believe that we get a player like Hutton handed to us on a plate and we are already considering offers after only two seasons. 

If Clubs call about Edler/Tanev it's because they want someone to help them go far in the Cup. When they are calling about a young guy like Hutton it's because they see a possible stud with a long successful career in front of him and they want that to be while he is playing for them.

I would lose all patience with JB if he considered trading him UNLESS it was for an established young top 6 forward stud who also looked to have a long NHL career ahead of him. Someone of Landeskog, Rask, Teravainen, calibre.

I don't want JB to roll the dice for a high pick and an unproven top prospect with no NHL history. We have already been duped out of Forsling (a trade I hated and said so at the time)

I'm not even sure Guddy is all we think he is nor am I convinced Stecher will survive this league physically. Since Hutton had a rest with an injury he has shrugged off his slump and looks back to his best.

I think the only reason we're considering it is because we also had Stecher and Tryamkin handed to us on a plate. I think the second bolded statement is the only scenario where Hutton would be traded. Now that we have an excess of young talent on the blue line, it gives us an opportunity to strengthen our young forward group while still having a strong young Dcorps.

I'd imagine/hope that he wouldn't accept a trade for Hutton without an offer that completely blows him away.

13 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I think the only reason we're considering it is because we also had Stecher and Tryamkin handed to us on a plate. I think the second bolded statement is the only scenario where Hutton would be traded. Now that we have an excess of young talent on the blue line, it gives us an opportunity to strengthen our young forward group while still having a strong young Dcorps.

I'd imagine/hope that he wouldn't accept a trade for Hutton without an offer that completely blows him away.

I hope you're right.

I keep coming back to what I said about Gudy. Maybe Florida DID know more about him than we do. Ok he fights but I want good defence and a high skill level from our D.

Hutton has that but it's too early imo to say we have it in Gudy.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I hope you're right.

I keep coming back to what I said about Gudy. Maybe Florida DID know more about him than we do. Ok he fights but I want good defence and a high skill level from our D.

Hutton has that but it's too early imo to say we have it in Gudy.

Yeah, Gudbranson hasn't had enough of a chance to showcase with this team, it could still go either way with him. It's a risky play, especially considering we could lose Sbisa at the expansion draft, but still worth exploring IMO.

Archived