The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Rumour] Bob McKenzie notes the Canucks could be looking at moving Hutton for a Top 6 F

thejazz97

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

In my eyes Hutton is a replaceable defender. I do love having him on the team though. Only way i see him traded, is for a forward around the same age and cant be picked up in the expansion draft.

If this happens, i think its safe to say they are banking on Juolevi for next year.

But, it is probably safe to say analysts are just blowing smoke. 

Probably not.

Edler and Sbisa would be on that side for hte top two pairings... anyone can get slotted in on the 3rd pairing.  Tryamkin switched to that side if we still have Tanev, Stecher, and Gudbranson on the other side.

14 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

i'm not really sure if Hutton is worth trading for a top 6 forward since he's young and we haven't seen his full potential. he has lots of upside and might become a Ehrhoff type of player in my opinion. i believe he can chip in offensively also. he is still working on the defensive side of his game but once he improves on that front, I believe the offensive part of his game will come along. rather trade Edler, Sbisa for a top 6 forward before everyone else and we also just signed him to a contract extension few months ago so would not trade him but only if the right deal comes along then I'll pull the trigger.

Yes this is true but we also have Stecher whom is evolving into that type of dman, Subban and Juolevi are coming up eventually too. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks can afford trading a LHD, but I was hoping it would be Edler or Sbisa. I wonder what kind of forward help they could get for a 2nd year kid who's struggled this season? Tempering my expectations.

Why do people say Hutton's struggling this year?

He had 25 points in 75 games last year. That's .33 PPG and ended up -21

He's on pace to average .31 PPG this year and is a -14

So what gives? Methinks it's one of those "fake news" issues that people just hear once and then repeat.... the kid doesn't turn into Bobby Orr his 2nd year and people cry bust... sigh

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Where there is smoke there is fire.  I heard Mackenzie say the same thing a couple weeks ago, about Hutton.  Mackenzie doesn't just float crap out there, like Edlund.  He's reputable.  If he's saying Hutton's name, then it's got legs.  Maybe it's something like Hutton and Hansen for a really surprisingly big return???:frantic:

Yeah...no...If you listened to the  interview...McK used Huttons name as an "example"of a player that could bring a return...

Just now, Honky Cat said:

Yeah...no...If you listened to the  interview...McK used Huttons name as an "example"of a player that could bring a return...

Exactly, and Bobby Mac doesn't mention players unless he's heard something.  Alf feels something BIG is coming.  I wonder who we get back???

15 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Why do people say Hutton's struggling this year?

He had 25 points in 75 games last year. That's .33 PPG and ended up -21

He's on pace to average .31 PPG this year and is a -14

So what gives? Methinks it's one of those "fake news" issues that people just hear once and then repeat.... the kid doesn't turn into Bobby Orr his 2nd year and people cry bust... sigh

To be fair, early in the year it did seem like the sophomore slump hit Hutton pretty damn hard. He was making bad plays regularly and did not look like he had the same swagger as last season at all.

I am happy to say that since coming back from his injury though, he's been more or less on form to me.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly, and Bobby Mac doesn't mention players unless he's heard something.  Alf feels something BIG is coming.  I wonder who we get back???

***quickly scans the list of waiver eligible players who have played for Desjardins in the past***

I bet we get a Willie "reeeeel guuuuud player" back 

From the Main Boards:

Quote:
Trade 20
To Ottawa Senators = Jannik Hansen and Jake Virtanen

To Vancouver Canucks = Curtis Lazar, a 2017 first-round pick, a 2018 third-round pick and a 2018 fifth-round pick

ANALYSIS: The Senators have been decimated by injuries to wingers, with Bobby Ryan, Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman all sidelined at present, not to mention Clarke MacArthur. Lazar hasn’t been able to provide any offence in their absence or in general this season, so Pierre Dorion is going to have to look elsewhere. Vancouver could should be selling and Hansen might be Jim Benning’s best trade chip right now since he’s a productive winger with another year left on his contract at a bargain $2.5 million, which will be appealing to Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk. That’s a good fit for the Senators, assuming MacArthur won’t be able to resume his career next season.

Lazar and Virtanen are both first-round picks who haven’t panned out and could be seeking a change of scenery — Lazar, the 17th overall selection in 2013 and Virtanen, who Vancouver took sixth in 2014. Both of them are B.C. boys, but a homecoming could be what the doctored ordered for Lazar and, conversely, getting away from home might be best for Virtanen’s development. The Canucks will mostly want draft picks in return, which the Senators will reluctantly part with to enhance their playoff chances. Benning does better at this year’s deadline than last year when he failed to move pending UFAs, Vrbata and Dan Hamhuis, who both left Vancouver for nothing in the summer. Expect Benning to be more proactive this time around and getting a second pick in the first round is quite the coup, even if the 2017 draft isn’t as strong or deep as recent years. That Ottawa pick would be 21st overall as of today.

Trade 21
To Montreal Canadiens = Alex Burrows and a conditional 2017 sixth-round draft pick

To Vancouver Canucks = Daniel Carr, Mark MacMillan and a 2017 fourth-round pick

ANALYSIS: That conditional pick is dependent on Montreal’s playoff run. The Canadiens get the pick if they don’t make it past the second round. If Montreal makes the East final, Vancouver retains the pick. As mentioned, Benning should be selling this year and Burrows is one of his two pending free agents — the other being goaltender Ryan Miller, who will be a tougher sell in a tight goaltending market. If Bishop and Fleury don’t move, then Miller probably will, but if it plays out like I’m predicting, then Miller might be stuck in Vancouver until season’s end. That’s not necessarily a bad thing for Miller, who has discussed a possible extension with the Canucks too.

As for Burrows, he’s going to be a consolation prize for the teams that strike out on Iginla, Doan, Vanek and Vrbata. Burrows is that next tier with Parenteau and Stafford, so the returns will be significantly less. But Vancouver should be able to get something for Burrows, as both Montreal and Ottawa should be interested in the francophone winger. I would expect Burrows to end up in one of those Canadian cities. Carr and MacMillan are both budding forwards from Western Canada — Carr from Sherwood Park, Alta., and MacMillan a B.C. boy from Penticton — and thus might be attractive to Vancouver.

The Canucks would obviously prefer a higher-profile prospect like Michael McCarron or Nikita Scherbak, but Montreal will be targeting a better winger than Burrows if the Canadiens are moving either of them. Sven Andrighetto, Jacob De La Rose, Charles Hudon, Max Friberg and Martin Reway (health permitting) could be in play as well, but the Canadiens would likely want Hansen, not Burrows, in exchange for any of those second-tier forward prospects. Benning would be wise to take what he can get for Burrows, even if that fourth-round pick proves the most valuable asset in return.

http://thehockeywriters.com/trade-de...anadian-teams/ 

Found this on the HF main boards 

Id probably do both trades

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

To be fair, early in the year it did seem like the sophomore slump hit Hutton pretty damn hard. He was making bad plays regularly and did not look like he had the same swagger as last season at all.

I am happy to say that since coming back from his injury though, he's been more or less on form to me.

We had a bit of a turnstile on the back end this year as well. That never helps a young kid learning defense at this level.

I think people in Van tend to just get so caught up in the flavour of the month... this year that's Stecher and Tryamkin. 

Oddly, Stecher only has 3 more points than Hutton (18 vs 15) and he's also a -10

Nobody's talking abut Stecher having a bad year. 

If the Canucks were to trade a d-man wouldn't it make more sense to trade one of the regular starters that would otherwise be exposed in the expansion draft? Hutton is a 2nd year pro so he is not eligible if I understand correctly.

That may mean one of either Edler, Tanev, Guddy or Sbisa

4 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

From the Main Boards:

Quote:
Trade 20
To Ottawa Senators = Jannik Hansen and Jake Virtanen

To Vancouver Canucks = Curtis Lazar, a 2017 first-round pick, a 2018 third-round pick and a 2018 fifth-round pick

ANALYSIS: The Senators have been decimated by injuries to wingers, with Bobby Ryan, Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman all sidelined at present, not to mention Clarke MacArthur. Lazar hasn’t been able to provide any offence in their absence or in general this season, so Pierre Dorion is going to have to look elsewhere. Vancouver could should be selling and Hansen might be Jim Benning’s best trade chip right now since he’s a productive winger with another year left on his contract at a bargain $2.5 million, which will be appealing to Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk. That’s a good fit for the Senators, assuming MacArthur won’t be able to resume his career next season.

Lazar and Virtanen are both first-round picks who haven’t panned out and could be seeking a change of scenery — Lazar, the 17th overall selection in 2013 and Virtanen, who Vancouver took sixth in 2014. Both of them are B.C. boys, but a homecoming could be what the doctored ordered for Lazar and, conversely, getting away from home might be best for Virtanen’s development. The Canucks will mostly want draft picks in return, which the Senators will reluctantly part with to enhance their playoff chances. Benning does better at this year’s deadline than last year when he failed to move pending UFAs, Vrbata and Dan Hamhuis, who both left Vancouver for nothing in the summer. Expect Benning to be more proactive this time around and getting a second pick in the first round is quite the coup, even if the 2017 draft isn’t as strong or deep as recent years. That Ottawa pick would be 21st overall as of today.

Trade 21
To Montreal Canadiens = Alex Burrows and a conditional 2017 sixth-round draft pick

To Vancouver Canucks = Daniel Carr, Mark MacMillan and a 2017 fourth-round pick

ANALYSIS: That conditional pick is dependent on Montreal’s playoff run. The Canadiens get the pick if they don’t make it past the second round. If Montreal makes the East final, Vancouver retains the pick. As mentioned, Benning should be selling this year and Burrows is one of his two pending free agents — the other being goaltender Ryan Miller, who will be a tougher sell in a tight goaltending market. If Bishop and Fleury don’t move, then Miller probably will, but if it plays out like I’m predicting, then Miller might be stuck in Vancouver until season’s end. That’s not necessarily a bad thing for Miller, who has discussed a possible extension with the Canucks too.

As for Burrows, he’s going to be a consolation prize for the teams that strike out on Iginla, Doan, Vanek and Vrbata. Burrows is that next tier with Parenteau and Stafford, so the returns will be significantly less. But Vancouver should be able to get something for Burrows, as both Montreal and Ottawa should be interested in the francophone winger. I would expect Burrows to end up in one of those Canadian cities. Carr and MacMillan are both budding forwards from Western Canada — Carr from Sherwood Park, Alta., and MacMillan a B.C. boy from Penticton — and thus might be attractive to Vancouver.

The Canucks would obviously prefer a higher-profile prospect like Michael McCarron or Nikita Scherbak, but Montreal will be targeting a better winger than Burrows if the Canadiens are moving either of them. Sven Andrighetto, Jacob De La Rose, Charles Hudon, Max Friberg and Martin Reway (health permitting) could be in play as well, but the Canadiens would likely want Hansen, not Burrows, in exchange for any of those second-tier forward prospects. Benning would be wise to take what he can get for Burrows, even if that fourth-round pick proves the most valuable asset in return.

http://thehockeywriters.com/trade-de...anadian-teams/ 

Found this on the HF main boards 

Id probably do both trades

I'd wager these boards would be mighty pleased with either deal(both would be sweet)

& heck, toss in Edler to up return!

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

:lol: who's gonna tell Bettman?

McPhee said last week that he's enjoyed speaking with other GMs over the last few weeks. You have to know there's deals being developed. 

it might be just me, but I seem to remember that when they announced the ED that they said they were cracking down on collusion.  That no deals would be made to "protect" players from being taken by LV.  I think the last ED draft was bad for it and they want the best team possible in LV.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

If the Canucks were to trade a d-man wouldn't it make more sense to trade on of the regular starters that would otherwise be exposed in the expansion draft? Hutton is a 2nd year pro so he is not eligible if I understand correctly.

That may mean one of either Edler, Tanev, Guddy or Sbisa

Which ensures the landing spot must have a protection-slot eligible. Musical chairs for all teams. Music stops late-June.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Which ensures the landing spot must have a protection-slot eligible. Musical chairs for all teams. Music stops late-June.

I'm of the mind that most deals that have the ED as a factor won't be done until draft day or the days leading up to it, as opposed to the deadline.

I do believe Bob Mckenzie is right that we should be looking to move Hutton. With him being expansion draft eligible teams would value an asset they won't have to protect or risk losing while helping them this year as I feel Hutton upgrades every teams bottom pairing at the very least. I said in a different Tampa proposal that a trade based around Hutton for Tyler Johnson could be one I could get behind.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

True enough, all Canuck defensemen are under contract or RFA's anyway. Maybe a d-man gets claimed, maybe a forward.....it maybe be best to not try and anticipate and make a rash move trying to over guess the ED.

Archived