The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

do we know if he can play in the pre season then go over to Sweden? is there like a deadline to play over there?  

would love to see him get some exhibition games and then have the option to go back.   Sweden might be better for his style of play then the ahl.

last sentence as per Craig Button.

Yes, he could play some pre-season and then go over there.

Same goes with some weeks in the AHL - could play 20-30 games, and then head over there. Just depends on Timra or an SHL taking him.

The SHL season starts weeks before the NHL season - so no matter what, he will be missing some time.

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

My main point is that the Canucks are going to suck regardless and will end up almost last. Why put our young prospects in that situation and pull an Edmonton? In a couple/few years this team could be good but patience is needed with the prospects. Lets not pull an edmonton. 

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't understand why people don't realize that I'd like to keep them in Utica because the Canucks aren't ready, not because they aren't ready.

Er, so if you don't want the prospects on the team because the Canucks are going to suck next year, how is the next year going to be any better -- because the Sedins and Edler/Tanev might be gone?  The vets in Sutter, Dorsett, Sbisa, etc. aren't developing any more, so any improvement has to come from the youth.  When are the Canucks going to be "ready" for them, when Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Hutton, etc. are all in their mid-20s?

That doesn't mean you bring in a tidal wave just to have them, but if a kid is ready for the NHL he makes the lineup.  The Edmonton fiasco was not because of too many kids but because they weren't ready.  We're getting to the point of having enough prospects and roster spots open that the ready ones can (compete to) take a spot and the rest will develop in the lower leagues.  The rebuild must press on!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Er, so if you don't want the prospects on the team because the Canucks are going to suck next year, how is the next year going to be any better -- because the Sedins and Edler/Tanev might be gone?  The vets in Sutter, Dorsett, Sbisa, etc. aren't developing any more, so any improvement has to come from the youth.  When are the Canucks going to be "ready" for them, when Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Hutton, etc. are all in their mid-20s?

That doesn't mean you bring in a tidal wave just to have them, but if a kid is ready for the NHL he makes the lineup.  The Edmonton fiasco was not because of too many kids but because they weren't ready.  We're getting to the point of having enough prospects and roster spots open that the ready ones can (compete to) take a spot and the rest will develop in the lower leagues.  The rebuild must press on!

Well all those kids will have developed more for one.

I'd also like to bring them up for injuries and at the TDL when we move the UFA's and say Rodin/Boucher (if we can pump and dump them). So a few would be up for a good portions of the year regardless. 

I will grant you it would be hard to send the likes of Boeser down though. Kid didn't look at all out of place.

• Upvote 1

It's never about the signing for the Canucks. The issue is always how the organization treats their signees.

With that said, I'd like to see Dahlen centering Virtanen and Goldobin in the preseason for at least a couple games.

Edited by Byrix
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I think he should start in the AHL, see how he does. If he isn't next in line for a call-up maybe jets back to Sweden and tries again next year, but I would hate to see him bolt straight away. 

Love to see a regular rotation of prospects between Utica and Vancouver.

Jason Botchford: Jonathan Dahlen highlights the ‘next core,’ who can score
sweden-v-russia-bronze-medal-game-2017-i

Jonathan Dahlen scored 25 goals in Sweden’s second division this season, and you can easily make the case that kind of output at that age puts him in the conversation for top prospect in the entire Canucks organization.

He has the kind of upside teams dream about acquiring when trading 30-something veterans on expiring contracts.

The Canucks did just that in what was GM Jim Benning’s finest week in Vancouver at the trade deadline. Benning unloaded Alex Burrows for one of the standout performers at the 2017 world juniors who instantly breathed a massive sigh of hope into what has been mostly shaky Canucks rebuild plans.

Late last week, the Canucks officially signed Dahlen to a three-year deal, reportedly giving him the same out-clause Tryamkin had when it comes to the AHL.

For now, it seems unlikely because both the Canucks and Dahlen’s camp are prepared for him to get some seasoning in Utica this fall if he doesn’t make the NHL team, to help in his transition to North American-sized rinks.

Benning, by the way, doesn’t believe this is going to be a problem for the prolific goal-scorer. In fact, the Canucks have a hunch he’s going to look even better on smaller ice.

“His game is coming out of corners and living in and around the net,” Benning said. “On the big European ice, the corners are so deep, so he’ll be better on North American ice.”

Well, that’s something to be excited about.

Of course, the Canucks think Dahlen needs to “get stronger,” which is often the case with teenaged prospects. Benning did describe the player, who is listed at 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds, as “thick.”

His ability to score in and around the net is already good,” Benning said

sweden-v-russia-bronze-medal-game-2017-i

Dahlen compares favourably with Alex Nylander, the Buffalo Sabres winger drafted eighth overall last year who was second on TSN’s recent top 50 NHL-affiliated prospects list.

The only thing that has muted the universal praise Dahlen gets among scouts is his skating.

Yeah, that would be the thing he needs to continue to get better at,” Benning said. “But I think from his draft year to this season, his skating has really picked up.

“As he gets physically stronger, it will just get better.”

Benning said Dahlen will be at the team’s summer development camp.

“Then he’s going to come to training camp,” Benning said. “Ulf, his father, played in the NHL a long time, so he has a pretty good understanding of what he needs to do and where he’s at.

“He’s worked with Jonathan in his development and he still thinks he needs to get stronger.

“He’ll come to camp and we’ll see where he’s at. Whether he’s playing in Utica, or we loan him back to the Swedish league for one year, we’ll do what’s best for his development.

Maybe the most interesting thing about all of this is that Dahlen is now considered a cornerstone of what people are calling “the next core.”

“If you look at where scoring is going to come from for us going forward, you look at Nikolay Goldobin, who has the skill and the ability to score, you look at Brock Boeser, who can score, and you look at Dahlen, who is a scorer, and (Adam) Gaudette has a good shot,” Benning said. “I feel good about the skill coming in.”

Funny thing is two of those “scoring four” players weren’t even in the organization a few months ago.

It’s almost like trading veterans for futures is a damn good idea for a rebuilding team.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-jonathan-dahlen-highlights-the-next-core-who-can-score?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Benning on Dahlen....

Jason Botchford: Jonathan Dahlen highlights the ‘next core,’ who can score

Theres not many times that I think Botchford knows what he's talking about. But in this case I think he's right. Trading vets is definitely the way to go and Tanev should be traded. Sign a reclamation project UFA D like Del Zotto or Cody Franson short term or an older guy on a one-two year deal and flip him at the trade deadline.

• Upvote 2

On 21/04/2017 at 1:33 PM, J.R. said:

Ceiling and NHL ready aren't the same thing though. Believe me, I'm high on Dahlen (drafted him in my fantasy league) but he's young and small. And that still means beating out both Boeser and Goldobin (along with possibly our pick this summer) for one of the two remaining spots.

And even that's if you dismiss Boucher/Rodin (which I don't think you can do).

As per this:

I'd actually prefer we keep Boucher/Rodin on the starting roster over any of those kids and keep the rest in Utica, away from the tire fire, dominating and building chemistry (assuming we can convince them to stay in North America) and available for call ups with injuries/trades.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

whoever, Sutter, Dorsett (match up d zone line)

Rodin, UFA, Boucher (sheltered o zone line)

Kids dominating in Utica. Sell some vets, Boucher/Rodin at TDL and call up a couple of the best kids. Pick high again next draft. 

Not sexy but effective.

the only way we can deny Dahlen from the nhl is if he isn't clearly the best option.  I hope green or whom ever makes it a Merritt based system.  tired of the megnas skilles of the world getting ice time over more deserving talent.

Absolutely love the Senators scouting system. A long term history of finding top notch talent. If they were prepared to let Dahlen go it makes you wonder who else they have in their system.

Go Alex! Get a hatty and single handedly sink the Bruins! Our stealth cruise missile.

Edited by Boudrias

11 hours ago, Rush17 said:

the only way we can deny Dahlen from the nhl is if he isn't clearly the best option.  I hope green or whom ever makes it a Merritt based system.  tired of the megnas skilles of the world getting ice time over more deserving talent.

I'm fine with merit having weight in the decision (and it will) but it should not be the only criteria. 

Best development path and best team 2 to 3 years from now should also be a factor and hopefully will be. 

56 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm fine with merit having weight in the decision (and it will) but it should not be the only criteria. 

Best development path and best team 2 to 3 years from now should also be a factor and hopefully will be. 

Perceived fairness to the players should also be a factor. If a player is clearly ready to play in the NHL, and he is kept in the AHL playing for one tenth of the salary he has demonstrated he is worth, it is very likely to produce resentment. Fully justified resentment, especially considering how short NHL careers are, even without losing a big chunk to the minors.

How do you think that will play out a few years down the road when you're trying to sign this player to his next contract? Or maybe trying to sign his friends? 

14 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Perceived fairness to the players should also be a factor. If a player is clearly ready to play in the NHL, and he is kept in the AHL playing for one tenth of the salary he has demonstrated he is worth, it is very likely to produce resentment. Fully justified resentment, especially considering how short NHL careers are, even without losing a big chunk to the minors.

How do you think that will play out a few years down the road when you're trying to sign this player to his next contract? Or maybe trying to sign his friends? 

That's a good point.  Which is why I never had a problem with, say, signing Loui Eriksson at the time.  A lot easier to let rookies cook when there's someone better ahead of them on the depth chart.  

Now, of course, getting Loui back to that level is another conversation.

If a Boeser for example goes on a lengthy drought which is almost inevitable for him, though, I hope they aren't shy about letting him work through it in the A.

Edit: We also, thankfully, have a bit of depth for competition.  Considering we don't want Dahlen, Boeser, Goldy etc on the 4th line there are 6 Wing spots available and:

1) Daniel

2) Loui

3) Baertschi

4) Granny

5) Boeser

6) Goldy

7) Boucher

8) Gaunce

9) Virtanen

10) Dahlen

11) Rodin?

12)(and on) The Merry Megna-men 

i may may have missed a few and some of those guys may be more suited for the 3rd line than others.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

@ilduce39 largely covered my thoughts. 

And guys closest to NHL ready will be the first call ups with the inevitable injuries and eventual trades at the TDL. They'll still get lots of NHL games in that frame work but without the immediate expectations scrutiny and pressures of this market, on a bad team. 

There will also likely be a 'Stecher' who absolutely wills his way on to the big club and past the guy penciled in. 

But largely, I'd prefer the vast majority at least start the year in Utica.