The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

15 hours ago, cory40 said:

Manny was a face off artist. if Gaunce goes that root,  say "hats off". Nobody is saying Gaunce isn't going to give his best. I can't see Gaunce over Gaudette, Dahlen and the free agents brought in we're spots Gaunce could have played and probably should have played. I like what I seen of Gaunce defensively last year. But they also needed maybe a few points to go with that. So this summer you can bet your dollar Gaunce was not penciled on any of the whitboard options after they brought the 3 free agents in. 

I think Nic Dowd was more valuable than Gaunce. I think they were waiting to see if they signed Beagle before they decided on what they would do with Dowd. I expect Gaunce to clear waivers and start the year in Utica if he doesn't light it up in the preseason.

• Upvote 1

After watching Dahlen play his first NHL game (preseason against EDM last night), I must say that I don't believe he's ready yet. There is no doubt he's skilled and has great chemistry with Elias, but this is the best league in the world and I think Dahlen needs more development time. Maybe he joins the team later in the year. Elias is ready though. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

After watching Dahlen play his first NHL game (preseason against EDM last night), I must say that I don't believe he's ready yet. There is no doubt he's skilled and has great chemistry with Elias, but this is the best league in the world and I think Dahlen needs more development time. Maybe he joins the team later in the year. Elias is ready though. 

I didn't see any chemistry with his linemates.  Dahlen needs a playmaker to shine offensively; you know...someone like Pettersson.  Switch spots with Goldy and Dahlen and I think you would see two very different players.  Basically, I didn't really think Dahlen would make the team at the start of camp; mostly because he is waiver exempt.  I think it's best to see if Goldy, given an optimum chance, can stick with the big team.

• Upvote 2

Kuzma in the Province on Dahlen with quotes by Green:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-jonathan-dahlens-dominance-in-sweden-has-yet-to-transfer-to-nhl

Kuzma: Jonathan Dahlen's dominance in Sweden has yet to transfer to NHL

Winger sent to Comets to gain experience, strength for future shot at Canucks

Jonathan Dahlen and Petrus Palmu were training camp wild cards.

However, the intriguing forwards didn’t hold trump cards and were re-assigned to the Utica Comets on Sunday by the Vancouver Canucks along with defenceman Jalen Chatfield.

Dahlen’s domination of the Swedish second-tier Allsvenskan league — second in scoring with 44 points (23-21) in 44 games and 14 points in 10 payoff games to lead Timra IK to a championship title —  was expected to be a foundation to start the NHL season here.

But Dahlen, 20, managed three shots in two games despite 13:15 and 11:45 of ice time in his outings and power play time. The rocket release that was evident in Sweden was absent from the 5-foot-11, 180 pound left winger.

“I like him a lot,” said Canucks coach Travis Green. “He’s a hungry young kid who wants badly to play in the NHL and I don’t think he takes it for granted. He understands he’s got to get a little stronger and training will be a big part of him making the next jump.

“We’re not surprised. It’s a new world for him over here. The learning curve is a lot less time to shoot and guys are a lot bigger, stronger and faster. It was an adjustment, but he’s a good young prospect.”

5 hours ago, mll said:

Given the fact that he was playing only in the second tier league in Sweden and given his frame it was crystal clear that he would not make the canucks roster. It's a huge difference playing in the second tier league in sweden compared to the best league in the world.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
clarity
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Long article in Timrå media about Dahlén, just google translated it since it would take too long to do a real translation this time of the day (11 PM)

He had to leave Vancouver Canucks with just weeks left for the NHL Premiere.
Jonathan Dahlén wants back.
Now the profile of new life in Utica, the extra training, the different game tells - and he closes the door all the way to a return in Timrå this season.
- There is no possibility, it does not. I'll stay here this year and drive on, says Dahlén.

Submitted, but not provided. Jonathan Dahlén is determined to return to NHL.
The 20-year-old went to Vancouver with the hope of signing in to the NHL squad directly, but at the end of September he received the message from the Canucks leadership that this would not be the case.

Instead, Jonathan Dahlén was sent more than 400 miles to the United States, and Utica Comets, the farm team, where he recently launched the AHL season.

Two matches and two assists from Dahlén became the first premiere weekend.

"It has felt good, I had to make an assist in both matches. Then I missed many positions, but I'll see it as positive that I have the chances and the goals will come later, "said Dahlén, who has an offensive role in the team and gets playing time in power play.

Hockeypuls grabs the former Timrå profile after one of many tough workout with the AHL club.

"It's a real hard drive, many hard workouts and we play on weekends so there is room for it," says Dahlén, continuing.

- "Freddan" (Timber coach Fredrik Andersson) ran on quite hard training too, so it was used to it. But in Sweden you play more weekdays than you do here in AHL.

For Jonathan Dahlén and Finnish teammates and mate Olli Juolevi, there is also extra training every day.

"It's physical for 25 minutes, then it's 45 minutes and then I and Olli are in a group where we can drive some extra physical activity about 15 minutes after training. Such long passes are not, but effective.

How do you think you're driving extra?

- It is good. They want me to get stronger so it's just driving, "says Dahlén with a laugh.

How do you see today that you were deposited?

- Nothing I think so much today, now I'm more focused on doing well here and getting up as fast as possible. During the training matches with Vancouver, I felt that I had some openings and could have scored a few points, though I did not play that much.

"I feel I could have played there and here I feel it's going to be really good so far. It's positive and I'm just driving here now so we'll see what's happening.

Dahlén may hope and wait for the call from the NHL club.

Forwarden feels he could not do anything else.

"I've played well and drove on. I do just as I did all the time and hopefully I get a chance. But they have a troupe now so we'll see if there's any damage or something so that something opens up.

Otherwise, he is set to drive in Utica, show a good attitude and all his registry.

After the message that he would end up in AHL, speculations in Sweden began a possible return to SHL and Timrå.

Now Dahlén gives a clear message.

- There's nothing I'm thinking about at all now. Now I'm just driving here and hope I'll get the chance at NHL sometime. I'm fighting and driving here because that's what Vancouver wants right now and it feels good.

He adds:

- I love to play in Timrå, but it's not up to now, unfortunately.

Is it completely closed?

- There is no possibility, it does not. I will stay here this year and will drive here. There is no opportunity for Timrå. Then much bigger miracle has happened, but as it seems right now it's completely closed.

Have you had contact with "Nubben"?

- I have a text: a little with him and "Freddan", but more generally about how it works for them and me. I have congratulated the profits. I've sent some messages to the guys too and I think it's crazy to follow and that's going well.

How much message do you get about Vancouver thinking about you in the future?

- No nothing. It is difficult. You can only drive here until you have a call or you will not get it and then you can play the season here.

What to say? It's hard to say so much. His game speaks for himself. Do not know how to put it on. It's quite sick, it's not so good. It was quite awaiting how he looked at the preseason. I did not get a shock.
Jonathan Dahlén about Elias Petterson's success in Vancouver Canucks.

Dahlén participated in Vancouver's training camp in Whistler and a pair of training matches before being sent to AHL.

Early this spring, Jonathan Dahlén was able to test games with Utica in the AHL playoff. Then Dahlén joined the advancement with Timrå and he found it helpful to have that experience when he returned this time.

- Some of the guys I feel pretty good. Then I know how it works to play in the league, it's positive because it's a bit of ita jungle out there on the ice. What do you mean? - No, but there are people everywhere and everyone just drives back and forth, there is not much hockey. It's just driving and it's nice to know how hockey is in AHL so you could not figure it out just when you arrived. How is the level compared to Sweden you think? - It's hard to compare. It's less rink and almost completely different hockey so it's impossible to compare. I do not want to mind it. Dahlén thinks it's been a good time to adjust .- Yes, definitely, I have no problems with it and I just think it's fun to be closer to the goal and I get a little more think it's fun. Jonathan Dahlén has left the hotels and found this house he is currently renting in Utica. After initiating the stay in North America at various hotels, Dahlén has found an accommodation. A small house actually. I found a furnished little house with internet and everything, there is a cannonball solution with ten minutes to the ice halls. Besides, the girlfriend Wilma from Timrå has come to the US now. - It's clear that it's crazy. Now you feel a bit more at home than you do when you have to live in a hotel and with different guys. Now it's nice to relax and feel that you have a home and car and whatever it means. The drill can focus fully on hockey - and to get back to the Vancouver Canucks and NHL dream.

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2