The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ohh so that's the Dahlen son of Ulf!! That's great! It's very hard to remember which Dahlen is which Lol

Good genes, will have a good compete level. Hope he doesn't fade if he starts in Utica. We have so many options. 

Aside from EP,who will be up here.My thinking is that we insert only those young players that are physically ready for 60-80 NHL games.

Gaudette, MacEwen, Palmu and OJ all seem to have the bulk for the pro's. Dahlen has the compete but we do need to see him out perform Ericksson, Gagner, Goldy and Liepsic. I wouldn't mind seeing Dahlen, Lind, Jasek and Gadz take the year to bulk up some. That means some placeholders get a bye.

Fellas,

are we we all sleeping on Dahlen here?

somethin about the way this kid plays, idk if it’s his tenacity or drive or passion or what it is, but it’s like he knows everyone is pencilling him in as a future 2nd liner and he wants to shatter those expectations and prove he can be a star. 

Time will tell obviously, but boy, we might have something here

20 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Fellas,

somethin about the way this kid plays, idk if it’s his tenacity or drive or passion or what it is, but it’s like he knows everyone is pencilling him in as a future 2nd liner and he wants to shatter those expectations and prove he can be a star. 

I don't think too many are sleeping on him. He's likely going to need a bit more time but he's GOING to be a good player IMO. Likely not an outright superstar but a very, very good player.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Fellas,

Perhaps up to a week ago, but primarily because we'd yet to see him play outside of highlight packages.  His skating has certainly improved/become more refined the past year and his confidence is sky-high.  Going to be a very interesting situation if he's kept with Elias throughout the preseason and they continue to produce.

• Upvote 1

I think Gaunce took it for granted that he was in the Canucks system, with no other real prospects in his way over the last few years. I question his work ethic. A young player with size like that should've been way more hungry. Now, he is being passed by Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Leipsic and Gaudette.

It would be great if Dahlen and Pettersson made the team at the same time. They've already got great chemistry, why break that up? Would like to see them start the year on the 3rd line with Beagle as their C. They would be somewhat sheltered here, and could learn from a SC Champ right from the get-go.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Gaunce took it for granted that he was in the Canucks system, with no other real prospects in his way over the last few years. I question his work ethic. A young player with size like that should've been way more hungry. Now, he is being passed by Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Leipsic and Gaudette.

He hasn’t been passed by anyone yet. 

Training camp hasn’t even started. 

A rookie camp means nothing more than a little hype for the new kids.  

Guance has just as much of a chance as all of them 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

He hasn’t been passed by anyone yet. 

Training camp hasn’t even started. 

A rookie camp means nothing more than a little hype for the new kids.  

Guance has just as much of a chance as all of them 

All very valid points. I personally like the guy but I am hoping he realizes how intense the competition is going to be and comes into camp guns a blazing.

38 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

You know nothing about Gaunce. He might not make the opening day roster, but your statement about his work ethic is total garbage !

Well, if he's been giving it 100% over the years, then he's just not a very good player. He might be a good depth player on another team. But who knows. Maybe he worked his butt off in the off season and comes back with more bite and some offence in his game. Camp will tell all.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It would be great if Dahlen and Pettersson made the team at the same time. They've already got great chemistry, why break that up? Would like to see them start the year on the 3rd line with Beagle as their C. They would be somewhat sheltered here, and could learn from a SC Champ right from the get-go.

Although I think questioning his work ethic might be a little harsh, I do think one can hypothesize that he subconsciously took the lack of competition for granted (this can be natural for even the best of them - of course, this can never be proven, but complacency is a real thing in any profession. Thankfully, our management has created an environment that discourages complacent behaviour (Are you listening, Goldie, Baer, Granny?). 

I, personally, just think he's not that good compared to our new prospects, and that he will be passed very soon by someone. But, he could surprise and be a late bloomer, and I would be fine with that and happy if it happens.