The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

6 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Agreed and his offense isn't close to good enough to allow him to stay in the lineup. If your not contributing offensively you better at least not be a liability defensively. Any coach is going to have a hard time finding ice time for a guy that isn't good on defense and doesn't contribute that much offensively. 

Yeah in my opinion, he's worse defensively then Jake was last year. He should be sent down to Utica ASAP to help with their playoff run and learn some defense. Like I said I know he's been sick but he was floating and looked awful last night. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah in my opinion, he's worse defensively then Jake was last year. He should be sent down to Utica ASAP to help with their playoff run and learn some defense. Like I said I know he's been sick but he was floating and looked awful last night. 

I don't mind keeping him up here for a bit, work with him in the pro's and hopefully get through to him what he needs to do to make sure he can keep a roster spot next year if he needs it.

Reminds me of Baertchi except Baertchi had spent enough time in the AHL to learn proper defense. I remember Willie basically saying it was a good thing Baertchi had the defensive skills and effort or else he would have lost his spot in the lineup when he wasn't contributing much in his first year and a half. Goldy is prob going to need some more seasoning the in the AHL so he can get to that point. 

I guess Utica could use him now for a boost to try and get into the playoffs though...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I don't mind keeping him up here for a bit, work with him in the pro's and hopefully get through to him what he needs to do to make sure he can keep a roster spot next year if he needs it.

Reminds me of Baertchi except Baertchi had spent enough time in the AHL to learn proper defense. I remember Willie basically saying it was a good thing Baertchi had the defensive skills and effort or else he would have lost his spot in the lineup when he wasn't contributing much in his first year and a half. Goldy is prob going to need some more seasoning the in the AHL so he can get to that point. 

I guess Utica could use him now for a boost to try and get into the playoffs though...

Didn't he play in the A for the Shark's?  Maybe he is what we see, which is a dynamic offensive player?  

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Tend to agree. Sutter produces basically the same offense regardless of line mates. No sense 'wasting' offensive players with him when he's far more effective defensively with better defensive players and the same offensively.

There's one reason why he's on Sutter's wing -- sheltering.  Forgot who it was that pointed it out, but that's the place Willie puts young guys whom he doesn't feel fully confident can carry their defensive responsibilities yet.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

There's one reason why he's on Sutter's wing -- sheltering.  Forgot who it was that pointed it out, but that's the place Willie puts young guys whom he doesn't feel fully confident can carry their defensive responsibilities yet.

I can understand that to some degree but it's not doing either Sutter or Goldobin any favours. I'd rather see him sheltered with ozone starts and easy QOC than with Sutter. Shore's not useless defensively.

Wow people, HE WAS SICK AND LOST 15LB"S A WEEK AGO!!!!!!! Stop @#$@ing ragging on him already. He's a kid who has barely played in the NHL, isn't up to strength due to being sick and would probably still not be playing yet if we didn't have so many other injures. Give the kid a break already. Especially since these are meaningless games and no Canuck is playing there best hockey right now. give him next year and if it doesn't work for him, oh well. But damn people are being ignorant right now.

Edited by RetroCanuck
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wow people, HE WAS SICK AND LOST 15LB"S A WEEK AGO!!!!!!! Stop @#$@ing ragging on him already. He's a kid who has barely played in the NHL, isn't up to strength due to being sick and would probably still not be playing yet if we didn't have so many other injures. Give the kid a break already. Especially since these are meaningless games and no Canuck is playing there best hockey right now. give him next year and if it doesn't work for him, oh well. But damn people are being ignorant right now.

Relax...No one is calling him a bust. Just saying he might need more seasoning before he becomes an NHL regular. Pointing out the obvious deficiencies in his game isn't ragging on him it's just constructive criticism. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Relax...No one is calling him a bust. Just saying he might need more seasoning before he becomes an NHL regular. Pointing out the obvious deficiencies in his game isn't ragging on him it's just constructive criticism. 

My point is that when a player is sick or injured their play declines. Goldy is probably not as bad as everyone is saying, but instead just not healthy enough to compete effectively. If you want an example look at sedin in the face-off dot last year because of his injury. What Im saying is you can't judge a young prospect who isn't completely healthy. goldy needs to play NHL minutes to get used to the game here. Seasoning in the AHL not required just health and confidence.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

My point is that when a player is sick or injured their play declines. Goldy is probably not as bad as everyone is saying, but instead just not healthy enough to compete effectively. If you want an example look at sedin in the face-off dot last year because of his injury. What Im saying is you can't judge a young prospect who isn't completely healthy. goldy needs to play NHL minutes to get used to the game here. Seasoning in the AHL not required just health and confidence.

We understand the reason he sucked last night was probably mainly due to his health. His 2 way game is still lacklustre and needs to be seasoned like Svens was. 

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

We'll see but he's been pretty suspect even before getting sick and that sounds more of an excuse more than anything. It was a known flaw in his game when we got him and it's pretty evident he still needs a little seasoning. Maybe he can do that in the NHL and maybe he is still getting over being sick but when you see the difference between Boeser and Goldobin on the defensive side of the puck it is easy to see a guy who gets it vs a guy who still needs to work on it. 

The kid has been sick, up and down all season long. This end of the season is merely a taste tester for next season. I think Goldobin will be in the same boat as Dahlen for fighting for a roster spot (mention Boeser as well now that he's proving he might stick in the NHL). We've got a lot of these fringe NHL-AHL type players who will hopefully make it but they can all look at Granlund and Baertschi for advice because IMO they're similar players going down exactly the same pathway. Goldobin's done his AHL time and I think he deserves more of an NHL look next year but honestly for me those 3 guys are on even terms and it'll just depend who comes into training camp fittest and most ready.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

We understand the reason he sucked last night was probably mainly due to his health. His 2 way game is still lacklustre and needs to be seasoned like Svens was. 

His two way play isn't so much lacklustre as it is a bit inconsistent, which in turn is likely due to illness.  He was doing some great backchecking in his first few games and last night it was like he'd lost a step.  Give him time, I think he's ready to continue his development in the NHL.  If you look at his stats over the years, his +/- has been improving.  Sure it's not a complete picture statistic, but it can be indicative of better two way play.  He's already had two seasons in the AHL and he's proved he can score at that level and has improved his defensive play there as well.  Now it's time to prove himself in the bigs.  Developing players is a combination of making them earn their ice time balanced with letting them play through mistakes to get better.  

• Upvote 2

I think Boeser will have an impact on how Goldobin is next year. If Boeser makes the team, he will likely eat up some of the prime minutes/scoring situations that could have otherwise gone to Goldobin. The main thing would be Boeser would likely play on Horvat's wing along with Baertschi. That means Goldobin has to play with Sutter or Chaput/Shore/etc. 

It wouldn't be ideal for Goldobin offensively, but I think playing the bulk of the season, especially at the start, with Sutter could be good for him. That would be the best way to get him to learn the defensive side of the game, similar to Baertschi. If he is played with Horvat, it could be pretty easy to run around offensively. Sutter would be a reliable and responsible player for Goldobin to learn from. He could play with a more creative offense winger as well:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser/Rodin/UFA

Granlund - Sutter - Goldobin

Boucher - Gaunce - Dorsett

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

is there a good way to be Yakupov 2.0?

He will never be. Expectations are different plus yakupov was a 1st overall pick, can't even compare the 2.  

Personally I think we should reinforce Utica with goldobin and give hi. 20 minutes ice tIme.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He will never be. Expectations are different plus yakupov was a 1st overall pick, can't even compare the 2.  

Personally I think we should reinforce Utica with goldobin and give hi. 20 minutes ice tIme.

Yeah, Goldie looks like he's an adept playmaker not just a scorer.  Might well be best for him to get some Utica Greening, alright.  Should be some good battles amongst the kids at camp.