The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

even with next year in mind. 

hard to see where goldobin will slot in. he's definitely not brought in to be played and deployed on the fourth line. 

just look at the possible line up: 

baer-horvat-boeser 

sedin-sedin-eriksson

granlund-sutter-goldobin/boucher

skille-chaput-gaunce/megna 

inevitably, i think that goldobin has to be deployed as a top six forward. 

sutter is good for him defensively, but he isn't exactly the type of centre goldy needs. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And that's insanely unprofessional for a coach at the NHL level.  Benning needs to tell him that this garbage will be cut out immediately if he'd like to finish out the season.  What the hell kind of message does this send to Goldy when he sees that Larsen can play however the hell he likes with no fear of repercussions while Goldobin gets benched for scoring?   As a coach, WD is lacking a functioning brain.

I think this is one of the things that really frustrate me when it comes to Willie. 

He's a nice guy. But we need a competent coach. Willie hasn't demonstrated that he's grown as a coach since he's taken over. 

And since the club is now in transition mode, or rebuild mode - I'm not sure if he's the right coach for the team moving forward. Many of the players have succeeded in spite of him, not because of him. Willie should not take any credit for Horvat's growth and progression. If he had his way, Horvat would still be a middle six forward. 

Wrong coach, at the wrong time. He needs to go. We need a coach that is willing to coach the kids, mentor and teach them to play the NHL game. I don't think Willie is that person for this team. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Kid just lost 15 lbs and had a bad night in Ana let him sit and chew on a few steamers. Your not gonna develop the kid by driving Kesler and Getz over him repeatedly. Give him a lil time to get his strength back. 

Yeah. I agree that Nikolai needs to get his strength back. Might not even be in time before the season ends. 

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

hard to see where goldobin will slot in. he's definitely not brought in to be played and deployed on the fourth line. 

baer-horvat-boeser 

sedin-sedin-eriksson

sutter is good for him defensively, but he isn't exactly the type of centre goldy needs. 

Where is Virtanen :DDDD

He is going to be the make or break player for Willie D and JB's tenure in my opinion. Highest ceiling player we've had in awhile, and one that requires a slightly different development process as indicated by "The professor" and a few others. He's basically plays like most skill players in their early twenties. Great with the puck on his stick in transition, does okay defensively, struggles in some board battles. Not a puck retrieval guys so much.

Ho Sang, Barbashev, Scherbak, Kamenev, Fiala, Vrana are all in a similar spot. Which teams can take those players and make them a success will be very telling in terms of development process. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Eriksson is back and I think he fits quite nicely with Sutter. Add a defensive minded playmaker of some sort and you've got a competitive line that can play pretty big minutes.

I think with Horvat and Baertschi he can get enough sheltering that it's ok. The one caveat is that line is playing in the 1st line role basically and that's a lot to ask of a guy back recently from the flu and adjusting to the NHL game. Boeser looking good there so far as well takes away the options we have left, where the Sedins aren't strong enough defensively probably at this point to compensate.

He's on the 4th line otherwise, and Shore/Gaunce/Chaput aren't as dangerous a center as Goldobin's used to. Then again, if you're putting Rodin, Gaunce and Goldobin on that line for next year, there could legitimately be something there since Gaunce and even Rodin are very responsible defensively.

I'd prefer to see Eriksson with Horvat to be honest. As good as Boeser has looked there, I'd prefer to shelter him more. But with Granlund out and not able to play with the twins, it's kind of a moot point. 

Either way, still leaves Goldy in the press box or Utica. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Derp... said:

He is going to be the make or break player for Willie D and JB's tenure in my opinion. Highest ceiling player we've had in awhile, and one that requires a slightly different development process as indicated by "The professor" and a few others. He's basically plays like most skill players in their early twenties. Great with the puck on his stick in transition, does okay defensively, struggles in some board battles. Not a puck retrieval guys so much.

Ho Sang, Barbashev, Scherbak, Kamenev, Fiala, Vrana are all in a similar spot. Which teams can take those players and make them a success will be very telling in terms of development process. 

I don't think goldobin holds so much weight that he could make or break JB AND WD'S time with the Canucks. If he turns into a 50+ pt guy that will certainly cement their names as good management, if not oh well. Togather they have 

Developed bo-WD

traded and developed Baertschi-WD+JB

Recruited and developed Stetcher- WD+JB

drafted Boeser -JB

Drafted and developed Tryamkin-WD+JB

traded for goldobin and dahlen-JB

drafted demko- JB

That's pretty damn good in what 3 and 4 years? 

Your goldobin development assessment is spot on IMO. He can't be developed the Dame way as bo. Not everyone is cut from the same cloth. He would go good togather with BO but that can't be the solution for every player.  Ironically he would have went well with burrows and hansen lol. 

I know JBs free agency hasn't been the best in the past but I wouldn't be against him thing to find some puck retrieval players for goldobin this summer. 

Wingles 

King

Versteeg

All come to mind

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

baer-horvat-boeser 

sedin-sedin-eriksson

You are also missing that Dahlen will inevitably be competing for a scoring wing or center position on this team in a year or two.

This is why I did not like this trade when it happened.  Goldobin was not the prospect we needed as we have similar style players to him in our system and on the roster.  We needed a center.  The way to get centers is through the draft. Hansen's no trade contract limited Benning's options, but if it had to be San Jose, why not take a lesser prospect and their guaranteed first round pick?  That pick could be used to draft a center or a player that can develop into something we don't have.  Or hold Hansen if the deal isn't right.

On the positive, there is a good chance that at least a couple of Granlund, Baerstchi, Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen, Boucher, Virtanen can develop into capable NHL wingers that play in our top 6. My bet is that Boeser and Dahlen end up as the top scoring threats out of that bunch.

Pretty clear that Goldobin is not a finished product at this point. Hopefully he sees this and he and the Canucks can be on the same page in getting him to where they both want him.

7 minutes ago, mangosteens said:

You are also missing that Dahlen will inevitably be competing for a scoring wing or center position on this team in a year or two.

This is why I did not like this trade when it happened.  Goldobin was not the prospect we needed as we have similar style players to him in our system and on the roster.  We needed a center.  The way to get centers is through the draft. Hansen's no trade contract limited Benning's options, but if it had to be San Jose, why not take a lesser prospect and their guaranteed first round pick?  That pick could be used to draft a center or a player that can develop into something we don't have.  Or hold Hansen if the deal isn't right.

On the positive, there is a good chance that at least a couple of Granlund, Baerstchi, Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen, Boucher, Virtanen can develop into capable NHL wingers that play in our top 6. My bet is that Boeser and Dahlen end up as the top scoring threats out of that bunch.

Pretty clear that Goldobin is not a finished product at this point. Hopefully he sees this and he and the Canucks can be on the same page in getting him to where they both want him.

Sedins won't be here in a year or two.  Loading up on skill at all positions is important.  They wanted to add a closer to the NHL player. They weren't getting a young offensive centre for Hansen.  Not to mention that he had some control over where he was being dealt.  Bending did well imo. 

We fleeced Ottawa.  No one should have given up a prospect of that quality for AB.   

Considering that hat the best deadline pickup (Eaves) only got a late 2nd, I can't see how you can say anything negative about the Canucks haul.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, mangosteens said:

You acquire quality assets. Period.

I'd not be remotely surprised to see one of our D and one of our (as you stated), 'similar' players traded for a C. A package of Edler or Tanev (or even Hutton) + Baer  would be a pretty good basis to acquire a young C And leave Eriksson, Boeser, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin (and eventually Virtanen, Lockwood etc) to duke it out for top 9 W positions. 

If somebody makes someone else redundant down the line, you trade them too.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I don't think goldobin holds so much weight that he could make or break JB AND WD'S time with the Canucks. If he turns into a 50+ pt guy that will certainly cement their names as good management, if not oh well. Togather they have 

Developed bo-WD

traded and developed Baertschi-WD+JB

Recruited and developed Stetcher- WD+JB

drafted Boeser -JB

Drafted and developed Tryamkin-WD+JB

traded for goldobin and dahlen-JB

drafted demko- JB

That's pretty damn good in what 3 and 4 years? 

Your right. They've done a good job for sure. I've been a big fan of both actually, besides some of Willie D's lineup choices, but that is normal for most teams. 

I think it's the difference between good and great that I'm poking at though. Great management and coaching teams take high skill players and get the best out of them. That hasn't been our strength as a franchise for a while though. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I think it's the difference between good and great that I'm poking at though. Great management and coaching teams take high skill players and get the best out of them. That hasn't been our strength as a franchise for a while though. 

On 3/28/2017 at 4:54 PM, J.R. said:

It's also a symptom of not having enough skill (yet) either individually or as a team in either organization.

Boucher is not Ovechkin, Goldobin is not Laine etc. What young skill we do have isn't the 'top 5' variety that can be simply plunked directly on to a team and thrive and outscore their development mistakes. And we don't have enough quantity yet either. People forget that context when they're ranting.

Patience. They need time to develop and we need time for the team to draft and develop them.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:04 AM, J.R. said:

Yes, that's basically my point. We have very few players anything close to being capable of simply jumping in to the NHL and demanding top 6/top 4 minutes within 1-2 years of being drafted. Horvat really being the only thing close to that thus far. And as good as he has been, isn't a 'generational' player and has really only become a top 6 player the last 1.5'ish years. 

They need development. That takes time. Yet a certain faction of the fan base seems to view that as a 'failure' of the organization. Development is not failure. Developing players does not make WD a 'bad' coach. I'm mean as promising as guy like Goldobin looks, can anyone say he honestly looks ready for a full time top 6 role right now

We're rebuilding, this is what that is. It will involve losing. It will involve development and requires patience. It will involve hits and misses on players and gambles on guys like Boucher that may or may not pan out.

It will involve guys like Goldobin not being forced in to a top 6 role/minutes before he's ready for them and has time to develop in to them naturally. I'm not sure why so many are angered by that?

And yes, we're getting there and have far more in our cupboards than I can ever remember. It's exciting but it's going to take time. 

On 2017-03-31 at 0:10 AM, N4ZZY said:

baer-horvat-boeser 

sedin-sedin-eriksson

i must say

i am liking your writing style

a lot

:P

• Upvote 2

On 30/03/2017 at 8:50 PM, King Heffy said:

And Larsen was even worse.  None of our team played well during that game and singling out a kid who needs confidence and the calling card of a bad coach.  Sick of all the excuses for this clown's pitiful lineup choices.  .

What I heard today on 1040 confirms it.

Kurten bloggers had a guy on who covers the Sharks. He said Goldy has been benched before late in games in the minors and that his flashy style and happy go lucky attitude rubs some vets and coaches the wrong way. Hmmm.

He said the Sharks thought he was expendable because his 2 way game wasn't good enough yet to trust on a contender and they had other prospects in their system.

Also said when told of Willie wanting to scratch him or bench him that he didn't respond well to a kick in the ass in the past.

He's more a guy who needs a pat on the back and a patient supportive coach so he can play without being afraid to make a mistake.

This kills any argument of the Willie's rough love works bs. Players succeeding in spite of Willie not because of him.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

What I heard today on 1040 confirms it.

Kurten bloggers had a guy on who covers the Sharks. He said Goldy has been benched before late in games in the minors and that his flashy style and happy go lucky attitude rubs some vets and coaches the wrong way. Hmmm.

He said the Sharks thought he was expendable because his 2 way game wasn't good enough yet to trust on a contender and they had other prospects in their system.

Also said when told of Willie wanting to scratch him or bench him that he didn't respond well to a kick in the ass in the past.

He's more a guy who needs a pat on the back and a patient supportive coach so he can play without being afraid to make a mistake.

This kills any argument of the Willie's rough love works bs. Players succeeding in spite of Willie not because of him.

How does this kill any argument that Willie's approach does actually work for some players? You just gave an example of how it might not be working for one particular player, but that does not mean it is not working for others. There is a good chance that some players respond positively towards his "rough love" style, just as it is likely that some take it negatively. 

With that said, a good coach should recognize what every individual player responds best towards and should coach them accordingly. If WD doesn't have the ability to alter his approach in order to get the best out of every player's potential, then we need another guy.

• Upvote 3