The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

1 hour ago, Tank Swank said:

The kid just needs to ride it out until Willie is fired and then come back next season refocused and ready to play.  He'll get his chance.

I think it also doesn't help when he's being played with sutter... Goldy is a skilled guy, that needs skilled players with him.. not north south defenders.

If he is being deployed with Sutter then he will look bad regardless, who is the LW on that line?  Maybe switch Boucher to the off-wing, just a thought, if they are deploying Biega as a forward, how hard is it to move an actual winger to his off-wing?  If not then send him to Utica, where they could use his offense.

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

If he is being deployed with Sutter then he will look bad regardless, who is the LW on that line?  Maybe switch Boucher to the off-wing, just a thought, if they are deploying Biega as a forward, how hard is it to move an actual winger to his off-wing?  If not then send him to Utica, where they could use his offense.

haha Boucher has enough problems defensively in his own end. Las thing he needs is to be more confused.

Goldy needs to work hard and show that he belongs. The skill is evident but whether or not he can work hard every shift is questionable right now.

• Upvote 1

Glad Miller has some nice words for Goldy. Class act. :) 

But read the rest of the article and Sutter's closing quote is slightly less kind: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-goldobin-challenged-to-add-grit-in-return-to-canucks-lineup

“When he has the puck he makes pretty good plays,” said Sutter. “The challenge for him is the other side of it, what to do without the puck and that takes some time to really learn it. You have to have the want to get the puck to go into the corners and the hard areas.

”To do that, you have to have grit and balls and he has to find that.”

Probably fair comment by Sutter. But still never nice to hear your teammate say you need to find your balls. :huh:

Hopefully the combo of Miller's good cop and Sutter's bad cop will have good results with Goldobin.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I once watched Ovechkin play a mid season game when I was in Florida. He floated around the whole game, didn't hit, didn't get in on the forecheck, and really did absolutely nothing other than scoring a HAT TRICK.

I'm not saying Goldobin is Ovechkin, not even close. What needs to be understood is the typical Russian play style. They float and wait to pounce on their offensive opportunities, and they don't need much. If the plan is for Goldobin to be a 200 foot, two-way checker who scores the odd goal, then it's over for him here already. 

I honestly can't see him succeeding under Willie or Green. They can't accept this kind of player under the philosophy they preach.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

I once watched Ovechkin play a mid season game when I was in Florida. He floated around the whole game, didn't hit, didn't get in on the forecheck, and really did absolutely nothing other than scoring a HAT TRICK.

I'm not saying Goldobin is Ovechkin, not even close. What needs to be understood is the typical Russian play style. They float and wait to pounce on their offensive opportunities, and they don't need much. If the plan is for Goldobin to be a 200 foot, two-way checker who scores the odd goal, then it's over for him here already. 

I honestly can't see him succeeding under Willie or Green. They can't accept this kind of player under the philosophy they preach.

Not remotely true. Nobody wants or is trying to turn him in to Malhotra. 

The biggest thing they want from him is compete and attack. A better two way game will come along with that naturally (as well as more offense) but they're not trying to turn him in to a checker.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not remotely true. Nobody wants or is trying to turn him in to Malhotra. 

The biggest thing they want from him is compete and attack. A better two way game will come along with that naturally (as well as more offense) but they're not trying to turn him in to a checker.

Think the coaching staff wants concentrated effort from Goldobin. Nobody's asking him to go out there and skate all over the place, that's pointless. Even guys on this team like Gaunce have said before that skating hard for the sake of it accomplishes nothing. You can position yourself well in the defensive zone while being economic about it.

Instead, I figure they just want to see him put in some extra effort when it's needed, such as during loose puck battles. I've seen him just reach out with one hand on the stick for a loose puck a few times. They want him to battle harder in situations like those, like Sutter said.

• Upvote 1

The key for me in that article was this:

"After losing 15 pounds to a bad bout of the flu, Goldobin is back up to 190 pounds through a regimen of workouts and protein shakes. He looks better. He feels stronger and knows retrieving pucks doesn’t mean running over the opposition Tuesday. It does mean being engaged enough in the process to use quickness and stickwork to aid his linemates and not drag them down."

It is good to hear that he has regained his health and weight after that flu. I look forward to seeing him progress his game. Everything else is regular rookie pains and he will come around, maybe not right away, but he will come around. IMO People (media and fans) are nitpicking WAY too much with these kids. Allow the vets and coaches to do their jobs and give the kid some room to breath! 

49 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Perhaps Baertschi could be a good role model in this, as he had to make that change in his game as well.

He reminds me of Baertschi when he first arrived. The skill is apparent but the effort level needed for this level isn't quite there.

That's why I'd like to see him get in some games for the Comets. Green has done a great job getting guys like Baertschi and Virtanen playing the right way. I'd like to see what he can do with Goldobin.

1 hour ago, Great Granny said:

Even Datsyuk had to evolve his game at the NHL level, and he had all the skill in the world.

No one is expecting him to be a Selke winner, he has to be able to handle simple defensive assignments though and be willing to engage in puck battles. No coach is going to play a player that doesn't have at least the fundamentals to be responsible in their own end.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Even Datsyuk had to evolve his game at the NHL level, and he had all the skill in the world.

No one is expecting him to be a Selke winner, he has to be able to handle simple defensive assignments though and be willing to engage in puck battles. No coach is going to play a player that doesn't have at least the fundamentals to be responsible in their own end.

I'm not condoning a total lack of defensive awareness, but what you see from him will likely always appear lacking on the defensive side. If he's forced to earn his way on the grind line, than it's probably not going to work for him here under Willie or Green. He'd do just fine on the Blackhawks.

Datsyuk was always a stick checking  freak. He was one in a million, especially for a Russian player.