The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't see him as a long term fit here. And while he's a good/decent enough player, he's not so good that he's irreplaceable. 

By all means, if we don't get trade value, we retain him. But if we do, we have tonnes of options to replace him. 

He may be a good option to develop with the team. Maybe he gets valuable enough to flip for a young dman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Goldy Dob is coming along not sure trading him is a good idea if he starts clicking on all cylinders this kid could be a game changer he has some very nice offensive tools.

Good offensive instincts for sure. Thought he would be quicker though. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

Goldy. Forgot to quote you. But since on the subject. If we sign Kane this summer perhaps flipping Bear for a young dman would also be an option.

Does Baer really have that value?  It would be great if he did, but I think not.  As for Goldy, I don’t think Green trusts him on the defensive parts of the game.  Likely both Baer and Goldy are done here sooner rather than later.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does Baer really have that value?  It would be great if he did, but I think not.  As for Goldy, I don’t think Green trusts him on the defensive parts of the game.  Likely both Baer and Goldy are done here sooner rather than later.  

I hear you. They both skirt that top six or nothing type player. Neither will be checkers. I'm not ready to give up on either yet. Bear has it when he wants it. He just has too many games where he is perimeter. It seems he is getting more consistant though. Goldy needs confidence. You can see when he scores how he can become more dominant. He has ways to go defensively but has gotten better. Tough to say where they fit in future plans. Ultimately they get pushed out of their jobs by better players. That's the sign of a deep team.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

I hear you. They both skirt that top six or nothing type player. Neither will be checkers. I'm not ready to give up on either yet. Bear has it when he wants it. He just has too many games where he is perimeter. It seems he is getting more consistant though. Goldy needs confidence. You can see when he scores how he can become more dominant. He has ways to go defensively but has gotten better. Tough to say where they fit in future plans. Ultimately they get pushed out of their jobs by better players. That's the sign of a deep team.

I wonder if Baer could become a really good third line guy, who scores 30-40 points, kills penalties, and is good defensively too.  He’s got the skills and the brains - I think.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Baer could become a really good third line guy, who scores 30-40 points, kills penalties, and is good defensively too.  He’s got the skills and the brains - I think.

Thought about that after my top six comment. Bear is a very skilled and smart hockey player. He is decevingly good at his board battles. Not in a physical way but with leverage, angles and stick work. Seems third lines are becoming less of a checking line and more of a hybrid line that can score more often. Bear could maybe fill that role. 

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Thought about that after my top six comment. Bear is a very skilled and smart hockey player. He is decevingly good at his board battles. Not in a physical way but with leverage, angles and stick work. Seems third lines are becoming less of a checking line and more of a hybrid line that can score more often. Bear could maybe fill that role. 

I have no problem with a bottom six line for example with Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen next year. On the other side is Goldobin isn't really good at the defensive part of the game, the players on his line have to do extra work doing it for him. He has to fix that quick.

19 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And the timing couldn't be better.  Great that he's shown he can do it, but like with Jake it's all about consistency.  The two of them are very dynamic together with their speed and Goldy's vision; they really take it to the opposition and put them on their heels.  He makes passes into areas and to guys that are Henrik-level; often times risky but Gold when they work.  Yeah they're going to still make a tonne of mistakes but let's just roll with them down the stretch -- no doubt it's what the fans want to see as well.  If they have both "learned to be pros" that is probably the biggest factor of all.

Having him and Jake emerge as legit players will really open things up trade asset-wise, same with Holm on the back end.  We can start packaging up guys to solidify our D, because we're gonna need it with all these young forwards coming in the next couple years.  Fortunately, unlike them the others in Pettersson, Gaudette, and Lind all have reps as decent two-way players.

I think you nailed. For both Virtanen and Goldobin it is more about who they will be playing with in 2 years than who they play with now. What we are seeing now is the 'teaser'. :)  

• Cheers 1

Kuzma in his game day notes:

Nikolay Goldobin did some good offensive things Friday on a line with Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser, but you have to wonder how long the trio will stay intact. Play away from the puck is the ongoing challenge and Goldobin was a minus-2 against the Golden Knights.

“I thought he was OK,” said Green. “Against a quick team, young players have to realize they’re not going to have as much time and space. He turned the puck over a couple of times inside their blueline and twice at the end of the first where he’s got to make a quicker play and be more direct.”

Edited by mll

On 2/26/2018 at 8:46 AM, Boudrias said:

I see Goldobin getting more confident in the ozone and makes nice passes for his team mates. A little less certain on the d-side but fans have to admit that both Boeser and Horvat are struggling there as well. 

I think him and Leip are going to make Baer a tradeable asset sooner than later :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yup. Definitly a good problem to have. I think baercould fetch a late first or early second at least.

Package him with one of our left D and you're looking at a decent return IMO. Late first and a prospect, couple of 2nds + etc

On 2/24/2018 at 1:45 PM, zduck14 said:

I think I'd prefer to keep Baertschi around for another 2 or 3 years. I know there are options to replace him but if one or more of these kids come in a simply win the 1st or 2nd line wing spot, that just pushes Baertschi down the roster creating a fairly deep forward group. 

I'm sure Baer will sign a 2 or 3 year deal at a reasonable cap hit and once he's a UFA at least one or two of the young guys will have replaced him.

I wouldn't want to see him hit ufa status.  I say we sign him without a clause, and try to move him at next year's deadline. We will likely have far better rounded guys either ready or nearly ready to come on board by then.

As for Goldobin - I kind of like the guy.  He really does show high end potential, and I think he needs more experience to figure out what does and does not work when he's on the ice.  What I REALLY like about the guy is that he is committed to the team and being in the NHL, and he doesn't bitch and complain and threaten to go back to the KHL like other Russians tend to do. For that show of character, I really hope he finds his way to be a solid top 6 player.  But luckily, even if he doesn't, we have a handful of guys coming with top 6 potential. Such a nice change from the past where we had one or maybe 2 guys only to bet on.

Edited by kloubek