The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect Pro Comparison

ken kaniff

I've been watching highlights of the new kids and some of the other prospects. Im very bored and this is kind of fun. Who do these guys remind you of stylistically?

Jonathan Dahlen- Top 6 winger - Gustav Nyquist 

Nikolay Goldobin - Top 6 winger - Nikita Kucherov (seriously. Goldobin scores the exact same goals in the AHL as Kucherov does. They're like the same player)

Jake Virtanen - top 9 powerforward - Raffi Torres/Dustin Brown (Hoping he can turn it around and be a 20G scorer that hits like a truck)

Brock Boeser - Top 6 winger - Kyle Okposo

Olli Juolevi - Top pairing defenseman -Marc Edouard Vlasic 

Thatcher Demko - Starting goaltender -Corey Schneider

Nikita Tryamkin - Giant - Andrej Sustr

Troy Stecher - Offensive defenseman - Tyson Barrie

Ben Hutton - not too sure who he plays like. Brian Campbell maybe?

What do yas think?

Just now, ken kaniff said:

What tag would this get?

I have no clue!  I just know a mod comes in to new threads and asks for tags.  Maybe it's a game for them?

i like your comparisons though.  Do we have to use current players?  I see a lot of Bossey in Boeser. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I have no clue!  I just know a mod comes in to new threads and asks for tags.  Maybe it's a game for them?

i like your comparisons though.  Do we have to use current players?  I see a lot of Bossey in Boeser. 

What??? In the spelling of their names?

58 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

I've been watching highlights of the new kids and some of the other prospects. Im very bored and this is kind of fun. Who do these guys remind you of stylistically?

Jonathan Dahlen- Top 6 winger - GUDREAU

Nikolay Goldobin - Top 6 winger - Nikita Kucherov (seriously. Goldobin scores the exact same goals in the AHL as Kucherov does. They're like the same player)

Jake Virtanen - top 9 powerforward - BERTUZZI

Brock Boeser - Top 6 winger - HEATLY

Olli Juolevi - Top pairing defenseman -LINDSTROM

Nikita Tryamkin - Giant - CHARA

What do yas think?

2 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

Jake Virtanen - top 9 powerforward - Raffi Torres/Dustin Brown (Hoping he can turn it around and be a 20G scorer that hits like a truck)

What do yas think?

Not to far off. Ben Hutton was the only one that seemed a bit of a stretch. Maybe Ben Hutton plays like Brendan Dillon minus the fighting and hitting

4 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Don't know about Virtanen being like Torres or Brown. He has speed and isn't that dirty.

Raffi Torres could fly.  He had a great set of wheels on him.  He wasn't a dirty player when he was younger either.

Torres is and always has been the best pro comparison for Virtanen.  All the tools but no toolbox.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

ALF,

You seriously have to tone down the Brock hype, 

with the way you talk about him if he doesn't win the Art Ross as a rookie, he'll be a disappointment 

From what I've read, Brock can FINISH plays but isn't the most tenacious player when it comes to MAKING them, 

This isn't a great situation for someone with that skill set, and stars create something out of nothing, if Brock Can't do that then he might still be good, but he won't be great.

BTW I liked the Joulevi comparison, I see MAV as his best case comparable, very keen of you to come u with that

Actually great comparable all around, I think Torres/Brown are great realistic "Best case" comparanles for Jake

Only one I'm not on board with is the Boeser compatible. From what I have read wouldn't Ovechkin be more accurate? I understand his main deal is getting open and finishing the play?

11 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

ALF,

You seriously have to tone down the Brock hype, 

with the way you talk about him if he doesn't win the Art Ross as a rookie, he'll be a disappointment 

From what I've read, Brock can FINISH plays but isn't the most tenacious player when it comes to MAKING them, 

This isn't a great situation for someone with that skill set, and stars create something out of nothing, if Brock Can't do that then he might still be good, but he won't be great.

BTW I liked the Joulevi comparison, I see MAV as his best case comparable, very keen of you to come u with that

Actually great comparable all around, I think Torres/Brown are great realistic "Best case" comparanles for Jake

Only one I'm not on board with is the Boeser compatible. From what I have read wouldn't Ovechkin be more accurate? I understand his main deal is getting open and finishing the play?

Terrible, you start off your post telling ALF to calm down his expectations of Boeser with his Bossey comparison and then you end your post comparing him to OV?  That's much less pressure on the kid!

5 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

Jonathan Dahlen

> Top 6 centre/left wing

Mikael Granlund / Vincent Trochek / Leon Draisaitl / Kyle Turris / Tyler Johnson

Nikolay Goldobin

> Top 9 winger 

Maxim Afinogenov / JT Miller / Michael Grabner / Nino Neiderreiter / Cam Atkinson

Jake Virtanen

> Middle 6 winger

Joel Ward / Dustin Brown / Zack Kassian / Bryan Bickell / poor man's Evander Kane 

Brock Boeser

> Top 6 winger

Brandon Saad / Kyle Okposo / TJ Oshie / Patrick Sharp / Justin Williams

Olli Juolevi

> Top 3 dman

Hampus Lindholm / Marc Edouard Vlasic / Matthias Ekholm / TJ Brodie / Karl Alzner 

Thatcher Demko

> #1 goalie

Evgeni Nabokov / Cory Schneider / Tomas Vokun / Tuukka Rask / Cam Ward

Nikita Tryamkin

> Bottom 4 dman

Braydon Coburn / Hal Gill 

Troy Stecher

> Bottom 4 dman

Justin Schultz / Marek Zidlicky

Ben Hutton

> Bottom pair dman

No real standout comparables / pretty average player 

9 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

What do yas think?

you had me until Brock Boeser and okposo.  then you lost me and nothing you said makes sense.

Archived