The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

25 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Any updates on MacEwen?

He doesn’t have to be putting pucks in the net every night to be noticed I’m sure..

@UticaHockey. @stonecoldstevebernier Always appreciate your input.

I would call MacEwen a work in progress and someone trying to make the adjustment from juniors to the pro game.  He is a big kid so he is noticeable out there but he has a ways to go before I would say that he is an effective AHL player.  Last night he started out on a line with Chaput and Boucher so Cull is giving him every chance to succeed but I do think that he was the weak link on that line.  Too many times the puck died when it was on Zack's stick.  The puck handling skills are not there and he turns it over too often when trying to stick handle around AHL defensemen which is a common theme with AHL rookies.  How long it takes for him to learn and adjust will be the question. 

I was hoping that MacEwen could be a replacement for Alex Grenier but depending on his development he may be the next Kellan Lain or Joe LaBate.  He looks to have a better work ethic than Grenier but doesn't appear to have his skill level which puts him into the category of a big body grinder like Lain and LaBate.  But it is very early and time will tell as to how well he adjusts and develops moving forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Much better game from MacEwen last night.  Played like a power forward should and didn't try and do too much with the puck.  Not once did he try and stick handle through traffic and cough up the puck like he has been doing game after game. He was hard on the puck and played with his head up looking to find open teammates which was a big improvement over his recent play.

That's more in line with what I have seen from him in pre-season and junior's....he has decent hands, but more for shooting, banging rebounds in and short passes....not for stick handling through people....wonder why he was trying to do that to much....?

He's probably like most coming in, used to being key contributors on their team and having to adjust back to a learning role as they transition to a new league.  Hopefully he's starting to do that, and a great sign if it's happening so early in his pro career.  Some guys never get over being the former star.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 4:44 PM, UticaHockey said:

I'm not sure about that.

Until they race it is all opinions...mine has MacEwen faster than Gaunce by a bit and Gaunce faster than Chaput by a bit...for sure MacEwen can launch quicker than Gaunce, who thinks to much before he moves...still....Chaput is quicker than Guance off the draw but goes the wrong direction occaisonally and is slower overall.

That's how I see them, i know you have seen them more...

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Wishing this kid can get to the next level he is just what we need big tough and skilled just a likeable player does what it takes to win.

Linden did mention his name a couple of media interviews ago, it was positive. I wonder if we get to see him and stick some money in his pocket before seasons end?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Linden did mention his name a couple of media interviews ago, it was positive. I wonder if we get to see him and stick some money in his pocket before seasons end?

You groovy cats mentioning this kid, reminded me the Comets play in Laval today..hatty for Big Mac?!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Wishing this kid can get to the next level he is just what we need big tough and skilled just a likeable player does what it takes to win.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You groovy cats mentioning this kid, reminded me the Comets play in Laval today..hatty for Big Mac?!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=175199

I think this is a fair+ contribution for Zacks first half season in the AHL..  definetly has hold of the rope,  think he missed the first part of the season to injury..

Giver Hell Zack!!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=175199

I think this is a fair+ contribution for Zacks first half season in the AHL..  definetly has hold of the rope,  think he missed the first part of the season to injury..

Giver Hell Zack!!

We need a few of these types. Let's sign Archibald, as well.

good to see him doing well. i have high hopes for this long shot. mabbe a burrows type story. makes the nhl against odds and goes on to have a solid career. the difference, macewen has bigger size, shot and grit. looking for him to be a key part of the bottom 6 with his combination of skill and physical play. mabbe get some pp time

Zack is having a pretty decent rookie year as a pro. The popular metric seems to be ppg which is 0.60 for Zack. Those are Shinkaruk numbers by Gad! Of course we all know that Zack is actually big enough to go to the net. He will have Gadjovich to play with next year!  

• Upvote 2