The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

17 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It's going to be a really interesting training camp this year with guys like Zack ....who nobody really expects to do anything this year...but...

Zack has all the boxes ticked to move up to the next level....are they ticked enough to move up 2 levels?    They just may be, he is faster then anyone on the team right now, maybe faster than Jake and Molino, he is bigger and stronger than any forward on the team except maybe Bo,  he has as good a shot as anyone currently on the team, he hits harder then any forward on the team, he fights when needed, he has good vision and can make a pass.

The only thing he is missing is being one year younger, he would have been drafted top 2 rounds if he had this all together a year or 2 ago.

Big guys need a bit more time it seems, but he may be closer to being ready then we think.

Lol, easy fella. He hasn't played a regular season game.  

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It's going to be a really interesting training camp this year with guys like Zack ....who nobody really expects to do anything this year...but...

Zack has all the boxes ticked to move up to the next level....are they ticked enough to move up 2 levels?    They just may be, he is faster then anyone on the team right now, maybe faster than Jake and Molino, he is bigger and stronger than any forward on the team except maybe Bo,  he has as good a shot as anyone currently on the team, he hits harder then any forward on the team, he fights when needed, he has good vision and can make a pass.

The only thing he is missing is being one year younger, he would have been drafted top 2 rounds if he had this all together a year or 2 ago.

Big guys need a bit more time it seems, but he may be closer to being ready then we think.

No. Just no. We need to at least see him at the nhl level to judge how he does lol even ahl..... 

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I haven't seen enough to pull a "just watch" on Zack...but my hunch right now is he will make the team by next year...what is he missing besides experience?

Not to be discouraging because I really like the prospect, but his skating and his shot are not as you great as you claim they are. What he does have going for him is that he is a decent skater, and he's big and physical. Good gritty forward who I think will be able to make the bottom 6 eventually, but not next year. He has a couple of years ahead of him in the AHL. That's just my 2 cents in. Plus he has a lot of people ahead of him on the depth chart.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

Not to be discouraging because I really like the prospect, but his skating and his shot are not as you great as you claim they are. What he does have going for him is that he is a decent skater, and he's big and physical. Good gritty forward who I think will be able to make the bottom 6 eventually, but not next year. He has a couple of years ahead of him in the AHL. That's just my 2 cents in. Plus he has a lot of people ahead of him on the depth chart.

Molino was the fastest Canuck last year...by a mile without Jake in the lineup...MacEwen was every bit as fast as Molino in the Prospects camp and his edge work isn't to shabby either...he was spinning away from checks with speed.

"Decent skater" does not do him justice....

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Molino was the fastest Canuck last year...by a mile without Jake in the lineup...MacEwen was every bit as fast as Molino in the Prospects camp and his edge work isn't to shabby either...he was spinning away from checks with speed.

"Decent skater" does not do him justice....

He was playing against prospects. Let's just wait and see how he looks against men. Not to say his skating isn't good enough to be in the NHL, but I think Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter, even Eriksson might have something to say about the claim that he would be the fastest guy on the team.

EDIT: Forgot about Megna.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

He was playing against prospects. Let's just wait and see how he looks against men. Not to say his skating isn't good enough to be in the NHL, but I think Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter, even Eriksson might have something to say about the claim that he would be the fastest guy on the team.

EDIT: Forgot about Megna.

Megna, Molino and MacEwen are the fastest...Bo is next....Sutter and Erikksson are average speed at best and Baer not much faster.

42 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Megna, Molino and MacEwen are the fastest...Bo is next....Sutter and Erikksson are average speed at best and Baer not much faster.

Sutter can get in on the forecheck pretty quickly and aggressively. That's good speed to me for the NHL. We don't know how MacEwen would look next to them. What I'm having trouble with, is how can you be so sure about ZacEwen's ability when we haven't seen him skate next to them yet?

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Sutter can get in on the forecheck pretty quickly and aggressively. That's good speed to me for the NHL. We don't know how MacEwen would look next to them. What I'm having trouble with, is how can you be so sure about ZacEwen's ability when we haven't seen him skate next to them yet?

His speed is evident playing with Boeser and up against Molino it was evident that he was faster than Brock and kept right up to Molino...in junior's he looked even faster of course.

Thing is he was doing that with the puck and with his head up, made some moves and some nice passes...roofed a wrister to the top corner with a fast release....plus he doesn't strike me as being dim like some other oversized fringe NHL'rs.

Not sure if it's been mentioned it but he's really reminding me of Brian Boyle, hard nosed 3rd line center that can hit, score a bit, and play good defense. Obviously by the sounds of things he may be quite a bit faster than Boyle on skates tho. But the size comparison is there for sure. If he turned out like that Attila be happy ;P

I've got this guy as a dark horse for the 18/19 team. I figure this year, Utica bound, learn the two way game at that professional level. Next year, will end up in Utica, but will get called up once or twice. For the 19/20 season, he makes the team maybe as the 13th forward (to start) but ends up as a regular. From what I've seen (tapes from his junior days, and watching Prospects Camp), he looks like the real deal; good to very good skater, among the fastest out there, and not afraid in the least to use his physicality. I doubt he'll ever go beyond centering the 4th line, but...he wouldn't be one of those guys that is easily replaceable every year. Like Malhotra (not playing like him, at all; more like how hard it was to replace him, ie we still haven't!)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

This guy is the sleeper pick at camp this year.  Love his approach to the game, his size and speed.  He could end up on the 4th line and be a guy who plays his way upward.  

Been impressive each game out. Better speed than I anticipated. 

31 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I think he could end up being a replacement for BG.  For a big guy BG doesn't play very big so if he doesn't improve his offencive game ZM could be more suited as a 3rd or 4th line center.

I am expecting an improved game from Gaunce this year. He has the ability to alter his game for better performance. My fear is another Shawn Matthias. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think he could end up being a replacement for BG.  For a big guy BG doesn't play very big so if he doesn't improve his offencive game ZM could be more suited as a 3rd or 4th line center.

why can't they have both Gaunce and MacEwan?

If anyone missed Benning on the training camp media availability video, when asked which prospects separated themselves from the rest, he mentioned Boeser, Juolevi, Gadjovich, and Lind. Later he mentioned MacEwen and Chatfield.

Edited by Alexandre