The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stick length, past and present

whcanuck

Just thought I'd share something that I've noticed over the years. Watching old highlights from the 80s and 90s, and even before, I've noticed that the length of player's sticks was quite a bit different back then, most guys used pretty short twigs. Gretzky, Yzerman, Mario, Brett Hull, and defensemen too like Ray Bourque, Brian Leetch and Chris Chelios all used short sticks. If you look at the game now, seems like everybody's using a telephone poll, with the exception of a few guys like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Matt Duchene. Have any of you guys noticed this? The sticks used to come up to around the guys' collar bone or a little higher but now on skates it seems like they're coming up to the player's chin at minimum. For any of you fellow hockey players, how long do you like your hockey stick to be?

25 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

Just thought I'd share something that I've noticed over the years. Watching old highlights from the 80s and 90s, and even before, I've noticed that the length of player's sticks was quite a bit different back then, most guys used pretty short twigs. Gretzky, Yzerman, Mario, Brett Hull, and defensemen too like Ray Bourque, Brian Leetch and Chris Chelios all used short sticks. If you look at the game now, seems like everybody's using a telephone poll, with the exception of a few guys like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Matt Duchene. Have any of you guys noticed this? The sticks used to come up to around the guys' collar bone or a little higher but now on skates it seems like they're coming up to the player's chin at minimum. For any of you fellow hockey players, how long do you like your hockey stick to be?

Interesting question. I still occasionally use a wood stick but I cut it to exactly the same length as my composites

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Hmmm, in the 80's and 90's people drove smaller cars/SUV's, and lived in smaller homes...now everyone is driving gigantic vehicles and live in huge dwellings....I see a pattern....

But computers and phones have gotten WAY smaller^_^

I never played much ice hockey, so measured my whilst standing on shoes, but I found that a measurement up to about my mouth was ideal for me. I usually play the role of a defenseman, so I focus more on poke checks, blocks, etc.

39 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Makes sense for Defensemen to have longer sticks as it gives them a longer reach, but stickhandling, shooting and passing accurately are all much easier with a shorter stick.

I agree, but like those guys I listed, Chelios, Leetch, Coffey, Bourque etc. I play defense and prefer a shorter stick. I'd rather give up a little bit of reach and be able to handle the puck and pass really well. Plus I have no trouble getting good shots away with a short twig

Its the girth. 

But seriously, I do wonder if the mechanics of todays longer higher flex sticks are putting too much strain on guys wrists. We're seeing a lot of wrist injuries these days and I wouldn't be surprised if that extra stress is a factor. 

Archived