The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flyers goalie Michal Neuvirth collapses, is stretchered off the ice

Odd.

• Odd. changed the title to Flyers goalie Michal Neuvirth collapses, is stretchered off the ice

Looking at the time of game I thought no way that could be fatigue related, but if he was sick that certainly explains it. Scary thing when someone blacks out and falls over. 

How can the backup goalie not be in the arena? Especially for a home game?

edit: Misread Mason being sick as no backup in the building, don't ask me how. New question: where was the 3rd string goalie?

6 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Looks and sounds very much like he had a stroke :(

I've had a stroke, and I didn't collapse, I just got very dizzy and ill. I thought it was an inner ear infection. When the symptoms persisted on day 2 and I couldn't maintain my balance, and the vertigo got worse, I called an ambulance. Scary stuff. What was horrible I didn't have slurred speech, or normal symptoms. I am eternally grateful to the Ambulance guys for taking me to VGH as it's a major stroke hospital. They did an MRI, they couldn't find anything, they had to do a CAT scan to find it. 

One way to check is take the heel of your foot and try and rub the front of your shins up and down (Preferably not with skates on!). If you can't do that, call 911. 

On 4/1/2017 at 11:50 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've had a stroke, and I didn't collapse, I just got very dizzy and ill. I thought it was an inner ear infection. When the symptoms persisted on day 2 and I couldn't maintain my balance, and the vertigo got worse, I called an ambulance. Scary stuff. What was horrible I didn't have slurred speech, or normal symptoms. I am eternally grateful to the Ambulance guys for taking me to VGH as it's a major stroke hospital. They did an MRI, they couldn't find anything, they had to do a CAT scan to find it. 

One way to check is take the heel of your foot and try and rub the front of your shins up and down (Preferably not with skates on!). If you can't do that, call 911. 

Thanks for the knowledge.  I always heard about trying to put both arms overhead, doing the "touchdown" sign.  Is that method less reliable?  It is easier to do/remember, so sounds better on paper, but if it isn't reliable, then obviously it isn't worth much.

Sorry to hear about it... strokes can be scary.  My mother-in-law had a couple, but they were on the small side, and didn't seem to have any lasting loss of function.  Hopefully that was the same for you.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Thanks for the knowledge.  I always heard about trying to put both arms overhead, doing the "touchdown" sign.  Is that method less reliable?  It is easier to do/remember, so sounds better on paper, but if it isn't reliable, then obviously it isn't worth much.

Sorry to hear about it... strokes can be scary.  My mother-in-law had a couple, but they were on the small side, and didn't seem to have any lasting loss of function.  Hopefully that was the same for you.

I'm fine now, but yeah my Doctor at GF Strong had me do it multiple times. As I recovered the smoother I could do it. The easiest way to remember is FAST

Face: Is it drooping? 

Arms: Can you raise both?

Speech: Slurred or Jumbled?

Time: i.e call 911 right away. 

I didn't have obvious signs, probably due to it was minor, just vertigo. I really felt it the next day. My BP is in check now, and my balance is improving every day. 

So hopefully this spring is Riding season! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived