The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 Canucks Award Winners

-Vintage Canuck-

Miller was the team MVP this yr by a very wide margin.

We'd be w/the Avalanche without him. Bo had a good year...but as far as being the difference between W's and L's and gaining pts, it isn't even close.

Having said that...happy for Bo.

Maybe petty, but hope doesn't lessen the chance of Miller signing a cheap 1-2 yr deal for not feelin the luv.

2 hours ago, Jaku said:

Bo Horvat!!!! 

All are well deserving of the awards. 

I agree. I am happy with the awards.  For MVP I would have been happy with either Miller or Horvat. For unsung hero I was worried Sutter might get it, but he actually deserves the most "oversung" award.

I think Stecher deserves the best D award. I assume the coaches would still say Edler or Tanev is the best D, but Tanev was hampered by injuries most of the year and, even when healthy, provides no offense. Edler is not that popular with the fans right now and his much publicized refusal to pass the puck to Boeser on the PP is just weird.

I like Stecher but, if a guy like Stecher is winning the best D award, that tells you that the Canuck D is really lacking a top pairing. Stecher has been overmatched playing on the top pairing with Edler for the last several weeks. In an ideal world he plays on the third pairing and PP. And he would probably be fine on the second pairing. But the Canucks have a lot of guys who are legitimate NHL D-men but are not good enough to play in their current spots.

Aside from Stecher,

Tanev and Edler would be very good as second pairing guys.

Hutton, Tryamkin, Sbisa, and Gudbranson would all be good as 3rd pairing guys.

Can any of those guys emerge as legitimate top pairing NHL D-men. Or maybe Brisebois or Juolevi?

Maybe.

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

A little crazy to have your best Dman a rookie free agent signing.

Two years in a row, no less.

EDIT: Technically, Hutton wasn't a free agent, but still.

Archived