The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sutter for Coach? (THN)

Blazer8717

Sutters done fine with Toffoli, Pearson, Down, Forbort, Shore... 

This is non-sense... the only reason people say he isn't good with prospects is because he was playing Gaborik... the guys signed till 2021, you gotta give him every chance to succeed and gain confidence. It was the best thing he could do for his team. 

Sutter would be a great choice. 

Leopold, Regehr, Lombardi, Saprykin, Montador, regehr were all in their early 20s in that 2004 cup run which should have been Vancouvers cup run had Bertuzzi not been discriminated against. 

51 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Ok, your opinion is correct, mine is wrong. That's what this discussion is truly about? right?

Kopitar and Doughty were not already top players, but merely on their way.

Kopitar was already a two time Allstar, a 4 time LA leading scorer, and already owned LA kings ironman streak and a top 20 (top 10 Center) in the league. 

Drew doughty was already a top D in the league.  At least canada thought he was by adding him to the olympic gold winner team. 

51 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

The kings had a 101 pt season before Sutter arrived, the past 3 seasons before that 79, 71, and 68 pts. Missed the playoffs all 3 years. Hardly a cup contender.

Why value does stating 4 years prior to sutter provide? Kopitar was under 20 and doughty wasn't even on the team yet.  Carter and Richards weren't on the team for another 3 years. It's not that shocking that the kings couldn't make the playoffs.  Fast forward to 2010-11 and the kings are on the upswing. In 2010-11 the kings made the playoffs, lead by Doughty and Kopitar. A full year before Sutter took over. 

By the time Sutter arrived (December 17, 2011), that LA team already had the core. Richards, Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Quick. Carter was added in February.  Sutter was the one piece to an already build puzzle.  He didn't take a young roster with very limited NHL experience and turn them into something,  He took young "already NHL proven" stars and squeezed a bit more out of them.   We aren't even close to being in that stage. 

But If you're going to compare the 2011-12 LA kings roster to the current roster of Vancouver than guess what...You ARE, very wrong. 

11 minutes ago, apollo said:

Sutters done fine with Toffoli, Pearson, Down, Forbort, Shore... 

This is non-sense... the only reason people say he isn't good with prospects is because he was playing Gaborik... the guys signed till 2021, you gotta give him every chance to succeed and gain confidence. It was the best thing he could do for his team. 

Sutter would be a great choice. 

Leopold, Regehr, Lombardi, Saprykin, Montador, regehr were all in their early 20s in that 2004 cup run which should have been Vancouvers cup run had Bertuzzi not been discriminated against. 

Ask Saprykin and Lombardi what they thought of Sutter......Two players that couldn't stand him, and will openly admit that sutter drove them out of calgary.

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Kopitar was already a two time Allstar, a 4 time LA leading scorer, and already owned LA kings ironman streak and a top 20 (top 10 Center) in the league. 

Drew doughty was already a top D in the league.  At least canada thought he was by adding him to the olympic gold winner team. 

Why value does stating 4 years prior to sutter provide? Kopitar was under 20 and doughty wasn't even on the team yet.  Carter and Richards weren't on the team for another 3 years. It's not that shocking that the kings couldn't make the playoffs.  Fast forward to 2010-11 and the kings are on the upswing. In 2010-11 the kings made the playoffs, lead by Doughty and Kopitar. A full year before Sutter took over. 

By the time Sutter arrived (December 17, 2011), that LA team already had the core. Richards, Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Quick. Carter was added in February.  Sutter was the one piece to an already build puzzle.  He didn't take a young roster with very limited NHL experience and turn them into something,  He took young "already NHL proven" stars and squeezed a bit more out of them.   We aren't even close to being in that stage. 

But If you're going to compare the 2011-12 LA kings roster to the current roster of Vancouver than guess what...You ARE, very wrong. 

Ok, I'm wrong

20 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ask Saprykin and Lombardi what they thought of Sutter......Two players that couldn't stand him, and will openly admit that sutter drove them out of calgary.

Source? I just googled their names + Sutter and nothing comes up...

Maybe he drove them out because he was the GM 

Most of you are ignoring the most obvious question:

Why the hell would Darryl Sutter want to coach the Canucks?

There's still a couple more lean years to come. Established coaches won't be exactly lining up to get losing records under their belt. Best to go with Green at this point, who may only say yes because he's already part of the organization and knows the young players coming up.

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Most of you are ignoring the most obvious question:

Why the hell would Darryl Sutter want to coach the Canucks?

There's still a couple more lean years to come. Established coaches won't be exactly lining up to get losing records under their belt. Best to go with Green at this point, who may only say yes because he's already part of the organization and knows the young players coming up.

Money talks especially when tied to an attractive contract.  Anyhow why care about coaching salaries and cap space...it ain't our money.  Owners buy clubs to make a profit so it is their responsibility to put the right people in place so the right mix of as$ clowns hit the ice to perform for for the fans.  If not the fan has the ultimate weapon spend your money elsewhere.

Sutter has a very good resume. Led LA to the first Cup as the no 8 seed in the west. Many young players in LA develop into good NHLers. If Crawford is still the LA coach, Cloutier would still be the no 1 goalie and Quick a backup. Among the most experienced in coaches available. Should be seriously considered by Vancouver.

The one thing that CDC'rs fail to consider when discussing coach Sutter is that he was enjoying life on the farm just fine when he got the call from Lombardi. Those 2 had a history together in San Jose. Not sure Sutter takes on another less-promising rebuild in Vancouver for a couple of guys he's never worked with before. I'd be surprised if his next move was anyplace other than a return to farm life in Viking. 

6 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

The one thing that CDC'rs fail to consider when discussing coach Sutter is that he was enjoying life on the farm just fine when he got the call from Lombardi. Those 2 had a history together in San Jose. Not sure Sutter takes on another less-promising rebuild in Vancouver for a couple of guys he's never worked with before. I'd be surprised if his next move was anyplace other than a return to farm life in Viking. 

But they're fellow 'real good' old boys from Alberta. These guys start conversin' in Albertan - you never know what might happen!

For reasons known only to the mods my " I will not pay to see a Sutter coached team" thread was locked

But my sentiments remain the same Sutter is the worst choice possible, he will stifle creativity and render the team unwatchable

IF/SUTTER/CALLS/THE/PLAY/THEN/WE/DON'T/PAY#

On 4/18/2017 at 0:35 PM, Johnny Shotgun said:

Money talks especially when tied to an attractive contract.  Anyhow why care about coaching salaries and cap space...it ain't our money.  Owners buy clubs to make a profit so it is their responsibility to put the right people in place so the right mix of as$ clowns hit the ice to perform for for the fans.  If not the fan has the ultimate weapon spend your money elsewhere.

Exactly! And if Sutter, or any other "trap" coach ends up here my seasons tickets are canceled

I pay to see players be creative and emotional, I will not pay to see a defensive machine, the Vancouver Devils will not see a $ of my money

6 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Exactly! And if Sutter, or any other "trap" coach ends up here my seasons tickets are canceled

I pay to see players be creative and emotional, I will not pay to see a defensive machine, the Vancouver Devils will not see a $ of my money

Have fun playing run and gun against the Oilers for the next 10 years. 

One thing I'm going to enjoy very much if Sutter is signed as head coach will be watching him interact with our hockey idiotic media. He doesn't suffer media gladly in the best of times and these clowns around here would be in for a miserable old time during a Sutter-led rebuild I think. I'll have the popcorn ready.

On 2017-04-16 at 6:57 PM, Wilbur said:

The fact that JB hasn't done any ball rolling yet is the one fact that makes me think Green is the #1 choice.  Sutter really does reek of Tortorella2.0

Ironically, the Canucks now look like a prototypical Tortorella team. 

Archived