The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sutter for Coach? (THN)

Blazer8717

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

"give them Sutter’s system and maybe there doesn’t have to be any lean years at all. They won’t be exciting, sure, but a commitment to defensive hockey and the possession game could be one way to keep Vancouver in the hunt while attempting to build a winner before the Sedins say goodbye."

Not sure if whomever wrote this is just out of touch, or a combination of lazy and simple (trolling is another option) - but regardless, they obviously haven't been listening to a word Linden's been saying.

Yeah no kidding, but remember gillis said he wanted an upbeat fast skill coach a week later ownership hired torts. The exact opposite.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The fact that JB hasn't done any ball rolling yet is the one fact that makes me think Green is the #1 choice.  Sutter really does reek of Tortorella2.0

Exactly. Every team is out there on the hunt trying to lock up their first choice, except seemingly, the Canucks. I think that's because their number 1 choice is already in house. Green is also a guy that is known to be good at developing young players and getting them to buy into the system. He's a great fit for us, a lot of Utica players are already familiar with him, and most have seen success with him. 

Utica's season just came to an end. I think they're probably coming around to a deal right now.

5 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah no kidding, but remember gillis said he wanted an upbeat fast skill coach a week later ownership hired torts. The exact opposite.

Yes - that's a good point.   Tortrorella was clearly not a Gillis hiring / decision.

However, one would hope that ownership learned the first time that those decisions are better left with hockey people.  They are very clearly on the record stating that Linden and his management group have full control over hockey decisions - imo somewhat of an admission or acknowledgement on their part.

Repeating this mistake and attempting to over-rule Linden and Benning - would be about the worst decision that could be made imo - and about the worst direction the franchise could possibly move in right now.  I honestly don't think that is or will be the case - so I'm inclined to think this article is fully out to lunch.

The only thing that will keep or should we say get us in the hunt. Is to draft high and well over the next two years. If Linden and owners are smart they will look at the next two years as the time to acquire and develop players. They should be seeking a  coach who is willing to develop players at the NHL level. Unless we go on a UFA spending spree we are about to become one of the youngest teams in the league. Sutter does not fit that mold.

This off season they have an opportunity to move a veteran D man for a prospect or draft picks. The draft next year is looking like it will have some solid players at the top end. One more season of bottom dwelling is needed. I would be trying to acquire as many picks as possible for this and next season.

2 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

Crow does develop players, and can coach offense.  We would have scored more goals and won more games if Willie did not insist on a five man back game.

And we would (most likely) had less injuries.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Not sure if whomever wrote this is just out of touch, or a combination of lazy and simple (trolling is another option) - but regardless, they obviously haven't been listening to a word Linden's been saying.

Well yeah, that's how nearly all the local and national sports media operate when it comes to the Canucks.  They'd rather go on speculation and what they don't say, writing (making up) their own narrative.  The latest?  "Canucks totally changed plan, trying to start rebuild now", and the kids lap it up.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And we would (most likely) had less injuries.

I think that is a valid point, especially with the wear and tear that our division and travel schedule demands.  It is a hard toll on a team that is forced to play defence for 60 mins. It was so sad to see players get punished for floating, getting a breakaway or an odd man rush and then score. We really need a change of mindset.  It would also save a lot of stress on the Sedins, which would be better on them.

4 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

I think that is a valid point, especially with the wear and tear that our division and travel schedule demands.  It is a hard toll on a team that is forced to play defence for 60 mins. It was so sad to see players get punished for floating, getting a breakaway or an odd man rush and then score. We really need a change of mindset.  It would also save a lot of stress on the Sedins, which would be better on them.

Our d got pounded on the forechecking, and all the blocking shots too.  It just all added up to our guys having targets on them.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our d got pounded on the forechecking, and all the blocking shots too.  It just all added up to our guys having targets on them.  

It was horrendous to watch. It was like going to the county fair to see how many ducks you could shoot in a row. How things would change if the ducks shot back.  

6 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

It was horrendous to watch. It was like going to the county fair to see how many ducks you could shoot in a row. How things would change if the ducks shot back.  

That's a BIG reason why Willie is gone; he looked (too often) like a deer caught in headlights.  

2 hours ago, wiseupsucker said:

sutter seems like the type of coach for more established yet young playoff teams....

Winnipeg would be a good fit

i understand Winnipeg didn't make it but i think they underachieved

More their goaltending that underachieved. Their forwards were incredible out there, and piled up points. That can only do so much though when none of your goalies stop pucks.

The Sutter family and its hockey legacy comes with Sutter the coach, a package deal by proxy.  This alone should make him a top contender for the job.  For all of those who says he is bad with young guys, and such, all I have to say is "Doughty Brown and Tofoli say hi."

To those making (negative) comparisons to Tortorella -- what?  Torts, and Sutter both do not take any nonsense from anyone, including jackasses on the roster and in the media.  They both preach hard nose play and discipline. What is wrong with this?  This is not preschool coddling time, this is the show.  The players are supposed to be men, not thumb sucking safe space cowering sheltered children.

And to those who box in Sutter as a defensive boring coach, this is laughable.  You coach what you are given, and he was given a lower scoring grinding team in LA.  He has had some high scorers in the mix. Oh, and he won 2 cups.  There is that.

I like the idea of having Sutter coming in to Vancouver.  He is a winner.  He is meat and potatoes hockey.  And he looks like a muppet.  I like that too.

The only positive in hiring Sutter is that he would give his nephew Brandon the swift kick in the ass he needs. Show him the kind of Sutter blood Brandon's clearly missing. 

Other than that though, hiring Sutter would be stupid. Not the kind of coach this team needs. 

Funny how Green is the master of developing youth and Sutter is here known for not giving youth even a chance.

Sutter: Voynov Doughty Nolan Lewis King Toffoli Pearson Muzzin Martinez Mcnabb Clifford and recently Dowd and Forbort

Also gave chanses to likes of Vey Weal Loktionov 

All these guys started their career and developed with Sutter.

Also should mention Kopitar and Quick who went to elite status under him.

Dont know where all this Sutter is bad with youth stuff comes.

Sutter's been given an aging group, not really surprising to see if fizzle eventually. I wouldn't set my hair on fire if he was the next coach, but I might bring a warm blanket and an alarm  clock to the games. 

Archived