The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a tough one for me. I live in solid Brown and Orange country and it would take an excellent candidate to knock off the NDP incumbent. The thing is, the Liberals have nominated someone who just might fit the bill. He's a former mayor, who's been active in the community for many years, well liked and respected by the locals and surrounding first nations.

Our MLA is basically someone who was in the right place at the right time. She ran for city council 5 years ago and won a seat on council. Less than a year later, our MLA (another NDPer) decided not to seek re-election, so she sought the nomination and easily beat out a weak Liberal candidate to win the riding. I won't sit here and say she's done a bad job, because you hardly notice her. (Not much a neophyte back bencher from the opposition can do)

Now she's got a term under her belt and might be able to do some good for the riding if the NDP win the election.

I think the Liberal candidate might be able to do the same if the Libs stay in power.

Personally, I don't really subscribe to the theory that one party is far better or far worse than the other. For the most part, I think a lot of what happens is driven by market forces outside their control and a lot of the criticism they receive is based on partisan politics from people who don't share their ideology.

Before the election started, I thought it was Horgan's race to lose. I look at that with mixed feelings, because even though I prefer him to Christy, I have a hard time forgiving the NDP for campaigning against the HST and having a large part to play in a multi-billion dollar loss fro the province.

I know many will suggest the Green party, but unfortunately that a non-starter in my riding. The Green candidate is the same one who's been destroyed in the last several elections and although he's a nice guy (a co-worker of mine actually) he's not considered a serious candidate by anyone.

10 hours ago, cdubuya said:

glen clark and ujjal dosanj say hi

Glen Clark?

You mean the guy who honorably stepped down while the investigation was under way over the deck issue and bingo gate and was cleared of all charges and declared completely innocent yet is still somehow used as a watchword for corruption

Or the Ujjal Dosanjh that immediately crossed the floor to become a Liberal Stalwart for over a decade under Campbell and then Clark before stepping back due to in party issues

I can't remember myself.  I mean you may have sent me the memo but it could have been triple deleted or put in the same file as the hospital workers or the BC rail inquiry

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Glen Clark?

You mean the guy who honorably stepped down while the investigation was under way over the deck issue and bingo gate and was cleared of all charges and declared completely innocent yet is still somehow used as a watchword for corruption

Or the Ujjal Dosanjh that immediately crossed the floor to become a Liberal Stalwart for over a decade under Campbell and then Clark before stepping back due to in party issues

I can't remember myself.  I mean you may have sent me the memo but it could have been triple deleted or put in the same file as the hospital workers or the BC rail inquiry

isn't he a low level manager for Pattison now?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Glen Clark?

What? Dosanjh went to Federal politics where he became a liberal. He did not serve under Campbell.

At least you admit you can't remember.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

So what? 

The point he is making is the debt keeps increasing. A government should look to eliminate debt like Ralph Klein did. I remember Christy pledged a 20 year plan to be debt free only to scrap that idea a short time later.

6 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

So what? 

So what?  You dint see that as concerning at all?

Please.  Do tell me how the NDP wpuld spend us in to the poor house again

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The point he is making is the debt keeps increasing. A government should look to eliminate debt like Ralph Klein did. I remember Christy pledged a 20 year plan to be debt free only to scrap that idea a short time later.

Not only that.  Her trillion dollar prosperity fund.  The one taxpayers would benefit from.

The one that's at roughly $500 million now...all of it coming FROM tax payers 

In my eyes if you have debt to pay.  Services to maintain and thjngs to build you should never have a surplus let alone be sock in away taxpayers money and calling it a "fund"

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So what?  You dint see that as concerning at all?

No. Two reasons - 1. the debt to gdp ratio is low. 2. it was for investing in things that are now paying dividends and have raised revenues to the point that we have had 5 balanced budgets. 

The dippers do not spend on things that raise gdp, thats when things get scary. Horgan is playing Robin Hood with no idea of how to invest in things that make money for BC.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

No. Two reasons - 1. the debt to gdp ratio is low. 2. it was for investing in things that are now paying dividends and have raised revenues to the point that we have had 5 balanced budgets. 

The dippers do not spend on things that raise gdp, thats when things get scary. Horgan is playing Robin Hood with no idea of how to invest in things that make money for BC.

5 balanced budgets?

Uhm....that's like claiming Harpers last 3 budgets were balanced.

Just a quick heads up, you cannot steal money from your savings, avoid paying your bills and then take money from essentials and claim your budget is balanced.

Again though, claim that 44 BILLION in increased debt isn't a big deal and then use the word dipper again.  It makes me feel warm and cozy

Just now, Warhippy said:

5 balanced budgets?

Just a quick heads up, you cannot steal money from your savings, avoid paying your bills and then take money from essentials and claim your budget is balanced.

Again though, claim that 44 BILLION in increased debt isn't a big deal and then use the word dipper again.  It makes me feel warm and cozy

as long as you're comfortable. 

So is your home mortgage "bad" debt too? Nothing you've posted about would concern a single person in the business community. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

as long as you're comfortable. 

So is your home mortgage "bad" debt too? Nothing you've posted about would concern a single person in the business community. 

LOL when the average mortgage in BC is approaching almost 58% of a monthly income it sure as hell isn't good debt.

But what would I know, I am just a small business person

And before you ask me to do your homework for you.  Just google the numbers and then tell me what business person thinks it is smart to spend more thanhalf of what they are capably bringing in on any 1 single expense

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

LOL when the average mortgage in BC is approaching almost 58% of a monthly income it sure as hell isn't good debt.

And before you ask me to do your homework for you.  Just google the numbers and then tell me what business person thinks it is smart to spend more thanhalf of what they are capably bringing in on any 1 single expense

There you go again, blaming Clark for a national housing price issue. It must be so frustrating for people in Toronto and Calgary not to have the ability to vote her out. 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

housing/affordabilty is without a doubt a top2/3 concern for every person I know. Its getting worst and our kids might have to move to a different province just to survive.

seriously hoping that this talk from the leaders isn't just talk. Something has to be done.

12 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

There you go again, blaming Clark for a national housing price issue. It must be so frustrating for people in Toronto and Calgary not to have the ability to vote her out. 

National?

Housing is plentiful outside of BC and the GTA and while slightly overpriced in the whole country is ridiculous in these areas/provinces

While overpriced in some areas it is affordable elsewhere without question.  I can buy a home cheaper in Calgary than I can Kelowna or Victoria right now.  

But hey I mean, she totally has stepped up hasn't she.  Not doing anything about it.  Then allowing Vancouver to do something about it.  Not collecting info, then collecting info.  Then claiming the info isn;t conclusive enough.  Man.  She's a whirlwind of activity.

Way to avoid the issue though and deflect to something else

Edit**  So...is it bad debt or not as per your statement to spend that much on housing hmmm?  

Just now, Warhippy said:

National?

Housing is plentiful outside of BC and the GTA

While overpriced in some areas it is affordable elsewhere without question.  I can buy a home cheaper in Calgary than I can Kelowna or Victoria right now.

Way to avoid the issue though and deflect to something else

Sure, Brandon and Ituna are smokin' deals right now too. 

What exactly do you think the di.... oh dont want to make you too cozy... NDP would do? Horgan hasn't announced anything new that would have any kind of impact. 

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

5 balanced budgets?

See hip this is what gets me. I know you and others like to knock the pc's for blowing money in Alberta and it's true they have. However Alberta has the highest paid doctors, Nurses and teachers. Alberta also has the nicest highways and no pst or msp so at least that money went to things most ndpers would support.

9 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sure, Brandon and Ituna are smokin' deals right now too. 

What exactly do you think the di.... oh dont want to make you too cozy... NDP would do? Horgan hasn't announced anything new that would have any kind of impact. 

15 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

housing/affordabilty is without a doubt a top2/3 concern for every person I know. Its getting worst and our kids might have to move to a different province just to survive.

seriously hoping that this talk from the leaders isn't just talk. Something has to be done.

Green party has a plan to reduce/get taxes from speculative purchasing which is one of the major reasons it's  a problem... just saying. 

22 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Houses are affordable in Calgary. Nothing like Vancouver or Toronto. It doesn't matter if there is an issue in other provinces Cc still has a responsibility to make life affordable for B.Cers.

Archived