The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually, I doubt that Rod is one of those.

I believe he's in Kelowna, no? Even though that's a decent sized city, it's still small enough that word would get around about a shady Realtor.

Also, although Rod and I disagree on most everything, he does seem to be well liked in that community.

Abbotsford.

On 19/04/2017 at 10:09 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Most economic growth, most diversified, 3-4% annual growth in manufacturing for 15 years and most trade with Asia. None of that is an "accident" or a "house of cards"

Thing is, the driving force here is real estate, development and finance.  As we've seen, some of those are built on shaky ground, with corruption worming in and some big players having questionable notations.  That is a house of cards we're building on.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, the driving force here is real estate, development and finance.  As we've seen, some of those are built on shaky ground, with corruption worming in and some big players having questionable notations.  That is a house of cards we're building on.

Thats true, but I'm involved  manufacturing and I can tell you the growth there has been the best kept secret in BC, one of the reasons we're able to do better than other provinces is the 400,000 jobs in that area, thats spread over 12,000 small manufacturers. Most of this has been supported by the BC gov't over the last 15 years in ways most people haven't heard about. What worries me is the NDP tends to kill the kinds of programs that support manufacturing and that would be a real loss for BC. 

10 hours ago, DonLever said:

A bit harsh.

When you come down to it, there more similarities than differences between the NDP, Liberals , and the Greens.

All of them are big government and big spenders.  So whoever gets elected, in the end taxpayer gets screwed.

So, when it comes to voting in BC, it is usually the lesser of two evils.  Depending on your political beliefs.

Yup, going to be taxed and spent any way you slice it.

I'd prefer we spend our tax money on things like transit, green tech industries, schools etc... you know, things that will actually benefit us.

keep-calm-and-vote-green-8.png

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats true, but I'm involved  manufacturing and I can tell you the growth there has been the best kept secret in BC, one of the reasons we're able to do better than other provinces is the 400,000 jobs in that area, thats spread over 12,000 small manufacturers. Most of this has been supported by the BC gov't over the last 15 years in ways most people haven't heard about. What worries me is the NDP tends to kill the kinds of programs that support manufacturing and that would be a real loss for BC. 

100 % untrue.

NDP is very pro manufactoring / export. 

Fact is that the low CDN dollar has created the 400,000 new jobs you speak of...

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 % untrue.

Fact is that the low CDN dollar has created the 400,000 new jobs you speak of...

This goes into that a bit...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/is-the-b-c-liberal-job-creation-claim-political-spin-1.4078841

....She took serious issue with Christy Clark's claim the B.C. Liberals are responsible for making the province a leader in job creation.

"To the extent that our premier is trying to take credit for it, that's not appropriate."

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 % untrue.

like when it was over $1 there for a while with high oil prices? Do you even work in manufacturing? Yah, 400,000 jobs just landed in our laps :picard:

Untitled.jpg

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

like when it was over $1 there for a while with high oil prices? Do you even work in manufacturing? Yah, 400,000 jobs just landed in our laps :picard:

Untitled.jpg

Thats quality...  

Yah, the CDN dollar was above the USA dollar for how many months in the last 8 years.....   - 96 months in total 

Nice try though. 

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The economist is with the very left leaning Centre for Policy Alternatives. I could quote someone from the Fraser Institute but I'll spare us all that :P

I know 1st hand the kinds of assistance manufactures have received, everything from programs to bring in trained students, grants, trade missions, BC business promotion overseas, and even investments in manufacturing incubators. I was in Shanghai a few years ago on a trade mission where I met a manufacturing partner that i never ever could have met without one of these trade missions that get slammed all the time by the NDP as wasteful, and they are not. Making key contacts is incredibly important.

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats quality...  

Yah, the CDN dollar was above the USA dollar for how many months in the last 8 years.....   - 96 months in total 

Nice try though. 

did you actually read it? look at the mean over most of the period, a much higher dollar was in place during the bulk of the job creation 

weren't you the guy telling me a few months ago that BC didn't have any manufacturing? 

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

did you actually read it? look at the mean over most of the period, a much higher dollar was in place during the bulk of the job creation 

Pretty sure over most of the last 8 years CDN dollar has on average been lower than the USA dollar.

I would guess for 95 % of the time period.....

I think manufactoring jobs are great.  Wage are above average and many are less skilled positions.

Local employers in my area can't even fill positions often.  Maybe it is time to raise wages and benefits in these industries if they want to attract workers.

I know they have been looking at refugees  / new canadians  lately to fill many positions.  

Like i said before, manufactoring jobs are great but you have to admit that the low CDN dollar is just a bonanza for BC companies that export product to the USA......

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure over most of the last 8 years CDN dollar has on average been lower than the USA dollar.

I would guess for 95 % of the time period.....

I think manufactoring jobs are great.  Wage are above average and many are less skilled positions.

Local employers in my area can't even fill positions often.  Maybe it is time to raise wages and benefits in these industries if they want to attract workers.

I know they have been looking at refugees  / new canadians  lately to fill many positions.  

Like i said before, manufactoring jobs are great but you have to admit that the low CDN dollar is just a bonanza for BC companies that export product to the USA......

Its part of it but you're forgetting that we also have higher costs than the US - our taxes are higher and we also pay more in salary and benefits, by the time it all washes out its not actually that big a difference, we win on quality much more than price. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its part of it but you're forgetting that we also have higher costs than the US - our taxes are higher and we also pay more in salary and benefits, by the time it all washes out its not actually that big a difference, we win on quality much more than price. 

Of course BC has higher costs..

Most business's have to factor in the 50,000 it costs to have a private dinner with BC Liberal Leader  Christy C  .   Thats not a cheap dinner but if it gets you government contracts i guess it is a solid investment...... 

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Untitled.jpg

Where are you getting your numbers from?   The numbers (like everything Crusty has a hand in) are manipulated.  Just because she boasts something, doesn't make it so.  Actually, probably less so.

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually, I doubt that Rod is one of those.

I believe he's in Kelowna, no? Even though that's a decent sized city, it's still small enough that word would get around about a shady Realtor.

Also, although Rod and I disagree on most everything, he does seem to be well liked in that community.

Rod is in Abbottsford.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Where are you getting your numbers from?   The numbers (like everything Crusty has a hand in) are manipulated.  Just because she boasts something, doesn't make it so.  Actually, probably less so.

oh sorry these are just the actual CAD-US dollar values for the last 10 years. 

Belive me, she doesn't thrill me as leader. My point is there are many things going on that a lot of the province never hears about regarding things like assistance for manufacturing. If we can continue the 2-3% growth in this sector it will be the single largest employment sector in BC in 15 years. That may sound like a long time, but it isn't. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Of course BC has higher costs..

Most business's have to factor in the 50,000 it costs to have a private dinner with BC Liberal Leader  Christy C  .   Thats not a cheap dinner but if it gets you government contracts i guess it is a solid investment...... 

I never paid that, in fact I have never given the Lib's a single dime.  But I sure appreciated being on a trade mission. Two people have jobs today because of that trip. Maybe that sounds like nothing to you, but manufacturing is built 1 person at a time and it takes decade to build it up. 

15 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I never paid that, in fact I have never given the Lib's a single dime.  But I sure appreciated being on a trade mission. Two people have jobs today because of that trip. Maybe that sounds like nothing to you, but manufacturing is built 1 person at a time and it takes decade to build it up. 

Creating jobs is critical to our province. Kudos to you for helping 2   people to a better future......

It not only affects them... but it also affects their spouses,  kids and even extended family. It could even lift a family out of poverty and break the poverty cycle that runs through generations......

Thats awesome, and congrats to you. 

58 minutes ago, Heretic said:

18010787_10154955756481928_8577351458481

i have a feeling going to be similar to the federal election a couple years back. was a 3way spit people were scared of another harper term so most canadians went with a  safe bet of liberal.  only differences in BC its probably going to be the NDP winning.

Archived