The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We were only 1 number away from 1st OA but instead drop to 5

Hortankin

Now instead of possibly picking some hype Benning can focus on fundamentals.

I watched when the roulette wheel turned and we had Perrault for a minute or two. We got Tallon who was incredibly talented. However, the market demanded immediate returns and Tallon was rushed. Almost 50 years later and the mentality has not changed all that much.  

8 hours ago, canucksVSflames89 said:

Relative to his draft position, he was a mistake. evidence is already there, bud.

What evidence exactly, because he hasn't been stellar in his first 2 pro years? It's been known since the draft  that developing a player like Virtanen was going to take some time. The last two years are not indicative at all as to what caliber of player he'll end up becoming. 

13 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You beat me to the Wayne Maki by milliseconds  lol

As for the 1C......not necessarily.  The top 2 have separated themselves but 3-10 are very good too.  I think that depending on the GM, the ranking of those 8 players could be very different.  Vallardi is probably 3 but the others.....it depends on how you rate your criteria.....character, speed, size, shot, playmaking, IQ.....so there's no saying that Benning's guy isn't there at 5

I hope he picks another European defence man who isn't even the best defenceman on his team instead of a 30 goal scoring power forward who can step into our top 6 next season 

16 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

What evidence exactly, because he hasn't been stellar in his first 2 pro years? It's been known since the draft  that developing a player like Virtanen was going to take some time. The last two years are not indicative at all as to what caliber of player he'll end up becoming. 

Tkatchuk

22 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

What? Of course it does. He has struggled badly even at the AHL level. That's a terrible sign. Especially when your peers are excelling in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I hope he picks another European defence man who isn't even the best defenceman on his team instead of a 30 goal scoring power forward who can step into our top 6 next season 

They have to go for need this year.  There are already lots of building blocks in the system.  The biggest need is at centre.  If they don't have a top 6 centre ready, or close to it when Hank retires, they'll be over a barrel.

I really don't care if a player can step in next year.  I think that making that a criteria for selection is wrong headed.  They should pick the guy who is going to be the best player in 5 years.   

Disappointed at first, but it is what it is. PHI got very lucky, and NJ won the big one. Good for us that a Pacific division (or western) team didn't end up 1-2.

This really opens things up now. Patrick and Hischier will be off the board, but after that, who knows?

F - Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Necas, Glass, Rasmussen, Pettersson

D - Heiskanen, Liljegren, Makar

Should be a nice addition to the prospect pool.

Which to me says Vilardi will be our guy providing he is still available. We are also in desparate need for top end RHD with size. If Vilardi and Mittlestadt are both gone, I hope we take Liljegren or Foote. 90% of the D in this draft are on an equal rating and are projects anyways.

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They have to go for need this year.  There are already lots of building blocks in the system.  The biggest need is at centre.  If they don't have a top 6 centre ready, or close to it when Hank retires, they'll be over a barrel.

I really don't care if a player can step in next year.  I think that making that a criteria for selection is wrong headed.  They should pick the guy who is going to be the best player in 5 years.   

Go back in time, choose between Joulevi and Tkatchuk

thanks for coming out

Had a thought about the #1C position. It's probable that Horvat will be named captain after Hank retires. Not too often a captain doesn't play on the top line. Is Horvat our #1C of the future?

In that case, the Canucks will need a solid #2C, which there might be at #5. (Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Necas, Rasmussen, Glass) Just a guess we get Mittelstadt (who I've thought they would get anyway)

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Mittelstadt - Virtanen

It's not bad, a lot of skill. If anything they could use some size. After Horvat and Virtanen, there's no grit.

14 minutes ago, Davathor said:

thanks for coming out

At the time our guy was gone. We also thought we had our top 6 power foward in Virtanen. We knew he was a project and we have had a glaring hole on D for years. The last top 4 D we drafted was Bourdon. Unfortunately he passed away so we never got to see him at his peak. Juolevi was and is a great pick based on our need. He is a stud and will be our edler replacement in a couple of years. I still take Juolevi because he was the right choice based on our needs. If there was a projected 1C at our pick then the situation would have been different, but there was not.

Thanks for coming out

24 minutes ago, Davathor said:

thanks for coming out

Joulevi hasn't even touched the ice in an NHL regular season, and you've already counted him out???? He had nothing to prove last year in juniors of course his numbers are gonna fall off, but if he's anything close to a #2 or 3 defenceman that's a pretty decent building block, because obviously Subban isn't making this team anytime soon

44 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Joulevi hasn't even touched the ice in an NHL regular season, and you've already counted him out???? He had nothing to prove last year in juniors of course his numbers are gonna fall off, but if he's anything close to a #2 or 3 defenceman that's a pretty decent building block, because obviously Subban isn't making this team anytime soon

100% agree with you. Subban's problem is his size. Stetcher is basically on par size wise and is miles ahead of him in development. This is why I would rather we take a D in the first round preferrably a RHD with size. Liljegren is a good pick in this draft. As are Foote, Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Rasmussen, etc. Imagine this scenario, we manage to make a trade for a second pick in the top 15 and walk away with Foote and either a C or Lijegren? That would be a fantastic start in my books

30 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Watch him get picked just ahead of us too.

Colorado needs D not more centres so I don't think they take Glass or Vilardi. I think they go D and that's assuming Dallas doesn't take a D or some craziness that is Dallas. So, that leaves Valadri or Glass.

12 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Missing out on Matthews, Laine, NP, and Hischier in the past 2 drafts at a time like this hurts. Dahlin can make that go away but right now I don't feel grateful in the least, I feel robbed.

Thank God JB is genius at drafting and trading, now we get to see how he is at contract signing when it comes to locking up a core, it starts with Bo. JB is honestly shaping up to be a stud GM, unlike Toronto and Edmonton GMs he has had the cards stacked against him so don't throw their "rebuild" out there to degrade JBs plan. Trust me if we lose JB we would regret it because once we start making the playoffs I feel he could take us past the Red Wings 23 year streak. I think he is just that gifted he could keep a solid prospect pool while contending year after year, kinda be like the Blackhawks where they have a great core and they have to unload these depth players as they outplay what they can pay them (Bickell, Byfuglien, Saad, Sharp, etc). I understand people think I'm "too high" on JB but I feel he can literally do this for us and get us an actual dynasty that is a force every single year.

And that I am grateful for. I'd be a lot more grateful if luck can come our way just once though. Dahlin is all I ask, I don't think that's too much to ask for lol

I'm with you 100% on Jim Benning. I think he gets way too much unnecessary hate.

I also understand the frustration but there were no guarantees we were picking first in any of these drafts. That's how she goes nowadays with the lottery.

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

thanks for coming out

Joulevi still. Yes, Tkatchuk did very well this season. However, he was one of the most penalized players in the league. No, that isn't because he 'goes to the dirty areas and plays hard' it's because he is young and agressive and takes stupid penalties. He has already started to get a reputation for being dirty ie Daughty hit. For me I don't want that on the Canucks regardless of scoring. He's going to want big time money but those penalties are still going to be high, still come at bad times and that rep will haunt him like it has Burrows with no calls and extra calls on him and that isn't worth it to me. You can get a hard hitting, tough player who doesn't take a ton of penalties and isn't seen as dirty. If Van is building a culture of hardwork and character then Tkatchuk isn't someone I'd really want in that group.

Joulevi hasn't even played in the NHL yet but he has looked like a solid, team guy who does his job at the junior level. He will be a good maybe even great defenseman for the team when he is ready. He is different than Tkatchuk but I'd still take that pick. Build from the net out and Van needed that more than it needed Tkatchuk. Think of it like with kessel. He scores a lot but you'd never win because of him, you'd with him. Tkatchuk scores but he won't lead you in the same way a guy like Horvat or maybe a Joulevi can.

3 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

That's not really how it works. Virtanen was chosen 6th and he wasn't the 6th best player. You can argue neither was Juolevi.

People are angry because a team like Calgary/Toronto that made the playoffs will get a similar player talent wise to us while we had a terrible year. This draft just sucks. Unfortunate.

I disagree completely.

Lots of scouts had Virtanen ranked high, he was only 2-3 off give or take.

Juolevi is absolutely one of the best defensemen in last years draft.

Calgary/Toronto won't get an player of equal caliber to our pick. The top 5-10 in this years draft consists of mostly the same players, they're just moved around a few spots.

Archived