The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We were only 1 number away from 1st OA but instead drop to 5

Hortankin

3 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

The number 11 strikes again. In the entry lottery in 1970 (on June 11) we thought we won when the wheel hit #2 (II), but it was actually Buffalo's #11. In 2017 we had 11 but it only serves to deny us the pick. 

#11 Messier. 

don't get the 2017 part

On 30/04/2017 at 1:44 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

At least one reconciliation is that very good teams can be built without number one picks.

One of the best teams ever was the one that featured the west coast express, they could have made a push for a cup if they had a decent goalie. Naslund was 16th overall, Bertuzzi was 23rd overall and Morrison, the number one centre was 39th overall. That team did feature one number 1 overall pick with Jovo but this Canucks team is shaping up to have some very good players and could be built much the same way as the great teams of the early 2000's

If we had Luongo then or Bourdon in 2011 we would have a cup :(

2011 still kills me. I can't even watch it I watch the first 3 series and games 1,2, and 5 of the finals and it gives me chills lol. Can't watch those last 2 games it's heartbreaking

26 minutes ago, Tystick said:

We're picking the 5th best player in this years draft.

We also have a very high second round and third round pick.

Lots to be grateful for guys.

Missing out on Matthews, Laine, NP, and Hischier in the past 2 drafts at a time like this hurts. Dahlin can make that go away but right now I don't feel grateful in the least, I feel robbed.

Thank God JB is genius at drafting and trading, now we get to see how he is at contract signing when it comes to locking up a core, it starts with Bo. JB is honestly shaping up to be a stud GM, unlike Toronto and Edmonton GMs he has had the cards stacked against him so don't throw their "rebuild" out there to degrade JBs plan. Trust me if we lose JB we would regret it because once we start making the playoffs I feel he could take us past the Red Wings 23 year streak. I think he is just that gifted he could keep a solid prospect pool while contending year after year, kinda be like the Blackhawks where they have a great core and they have to unload these depth players as they outplay what they can pay them (Bickell, Byfuglien, Saad, Sharp, etc). I understand people think I'm "too high" on JB but I feel he can literally do this for us and get us an actual dynasty that is a force every single year.

And that I am grateful for. I'd be a lot more grateful if luck can come our way just once though. Dahlin is all I ask, I don't think that's too much to ask for lol

It's not a curse, when the league executive have always had it in for Vancouver. From obvious referee bias and going all the way back to the '94 final vs NY Rangers where the league did all they could possibly do covertly make the Rangers win.

Not too worried because you can get the best player in the draft almost anywhere. History has shown that, irrefutably.

30 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Really don't think the Nucks are going with a consensus 3-5 player. Top two for sure but if they finished 3-5 thinking they will go slightly off board and intended/will draft Rasmussen anyway as he is a big center (position of need) and a local boy.

OMG I hope not. They made that mistake with Virtanen.

I  completely understand how it works, and it is so frustrating. I get why they dont want teams to "tank" and it makes sense, howvever it anoys me that it was the worst team for a decade FINALLY figured it out after years of incompetence in management caused them to change it. AFTER they got good, and now we suck after 17 years of good hockey. I feel bad for the avs AND arizona. If not Arizona more so cause they should be 6th but the way it works they get 7th! 

I get it all, i didnt expect much it is a lotto after all but damn..... i wish we were lucky. i hope jimbo kills the draft!

The important thing at least, is that in rounds 2, 3, 4, 7. (rounds 5 and 6 traded away) we draft ahead of Vegas and we get the second highest pick in those rounds. And we got an extra 4th and god willing by June 1st, and extra 2nd by Columbus. Silver lining.

Luck didn't go our way this year. But there just needs to be smart drafting and team building. The margin for error is gone, especially with the Loui Eriksson contract. I think next year is the make or break year considering it's potentially our last with the Sedins. The next core needs to step up pretty soon.

30 minutes ago, canucksVSflames89 said:

OMG I hope not. They made that mistake with Virtanen.

And who says drafting Virtanen was a mistake? He's only 20 years old. Perhaps its better to wait a fewyears before declaring that pick a mistake or not.

SOMEBODY'S GOT TO TELL TREV THAT GREY SUIT IS CURSED,BURN IT.

MAYBE SOMEDAY WE WILL GO UP IN THE DRAFT INSTEAD OF ALWAYS DROPPING.

THEN AGAIN, JB DOES KNOW HOW TO DRAFT,

NOT LIKE SOME OF OUR PREVIOUS SCOUTS AND GMS.

MAN THEY WERE JUST ABYSMAL FOR SO MANY DRAFTS.

JUST LOOK IN THE RAFTERS IF YOU THINK I'M LYING.

Archived