The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friedman thinks Vancouver is interested in Eberle

homersexual

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure we trade Bertuzzi away for Luongo, and they traded him later to Detroit where remained effective for awhile.  Not exactly sure what your saying but think it is Eberle doesn't add toughness and skill which I agree with.

Dubois would have done this, maybe this year we will get another shot at a player like that ... But if not a defenseman would serve us just as well.

Well im not sure about the defenseman idea since we don't have anyone really that can run someone over and take the puck from them, we need 2 like that.  Our fore check is ok but that would help tons!

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Before McDavid, he was still one of the young players. Once again, I'm not saying he's captain material, but he has NHL experience. He has toughed it out over the hard years in Edmonton and hasn't complained and just produced offensively. We have all the players you mentioned in Dorsett, Sutter, and Eriksson and where has that led us so far with their leadership?

We don't have to rescue them, but I'm sure other teams would gladly do so and gain a player that is being sold low.

Goldobin turns 22 when next season starts and there is no garauntee that he has a full time NHL job yet. He has shown that he has a ton of work left to be done to be an NHL regular. You honestly believe Goldobin will produce in the playoffs with the way he's currently playing? If Goldobin is a Canuck, I hope he gets it together and succeeds. I've been praising his offensive skill and hope he can get it together, but if we can get a player of Eberle's quality with cap retained and a pick back for him, IMO it's a no brainer.

Did you not watch any of the games Goldobin played in, because the way you're talking about him seriously makes me think you haven't. He has an insanely high hockey IQ that can't be taught and skills that are a cut above the rest. Better skating can be taught. Better muscle mass can be achieved. Better defense can be learned. You know what can't be changed? Hockey IQ and skillset. He, Boeser and Boucher all have that same gift: a nose for the puck and being in the right place at the right time. We'd be extremely stupid to trade him at all, let alone for a plug like Eberle. The only way I'm taking Eberle is if he comes cheap, but otherwise it's a hard pass and even bigger hell no to the trade you're proposing.

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well im not sure about the defenseman idea since we don't have anyone really that can run someone over and take the puck from them, we need 2 like that.  Our fore check is ok but that would help tons!

Keep an eye on Zack MacEwen who we picked up as a free agent this Winter..  late bloomer who could really surprise us at Camp.

2 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Did you not watch any of the games Goldobin played in, because the way you're talking about him seriously makes me think you haven't. He has an insanely high hockey IQ that can't be taught and skills that are a cut above the rest. Better skating can be taught. Better muscle mass can be achieved. Better defense can be learned. You know what can't be changed? Hockey IQ and skillset. He, Boeser and Boucher all have that same gift: a nose for the puck and being in the right place at the right time. We'd be extremely stupid to trade him at all, let alone for a plug like Eberle. The only way I'm taking Eberle is if he comes cheap, but otherwise it's a hard pass and even bigger hell no to the trade you're proposing.

Rather have RNH over Eberle?

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Keep an eye on Zack MacEwen who we picked up as a free agent this Winter..  late bloomer who could really surprise us at Camp.

Hmmmm.. they say his grade in C- but however a lot can change in a year or so especially if he kills it in summer training...  I hope so, he's 6'3 like Vilardi, thanks for the heads up.

Ok this is worth an edit, whoa a C- ?  what are these scout wannabees smoking??? 

http://www.dobberprospects.com/zack-macewen/ 

59 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

I did watch him play and I've never seen a hockey player be so afraid of physical play. I thought his vision and IQ were impressive and I like his offensive skill, but he seems to lack the drive to take himself to the next level, but I'd like to be proven wrong if he remains a Canuck. You're right that what he's lacking can be taught or achieved but you need the determination to do so. His linemates will get sick of him if they will have to chase after loose pucks and back check for him constantly.

Unless you are saying that San Jose is bad at developing players (Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Karlsson, Tierney, etc), San Jose wasn't able to get him to improve in those easily taught skills. My impression is he will be a Wellwood type player, but that is from a short period of time watching him while he's been with the Canucks. However, even Wellwood was able to get in 500 NHL games in his career, so take that for what it's worth.

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The most important numbers?

Eberle - 27

Goldobin- 21

Eberle- 6 million dollars

Goldobin- $863,333

Crosby - 29

Gaunce - 22

Crosby - 8.7 million dollars

Gaunce - $833,000

Therefore, by that argument.  Gaunce > Crosby?

These numbers are more important.

Capture.JPG.14dfac7ab0f6bce89b45b7d83014c428.JPG

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Crosby - 29

Gaunce - 22

Gaunce - $833,000

Eberle is over paid for what he brings.  Plus, he's really soft.  We don't want, or need him.  Not even for free.  Just say no.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Eberle is over paid for what he brings.  Plus, he's really soft.  We don't want, or need him.  Not even for free.  Just say no.

I'm not saying we need him.  I'm saying the argument that Goldobin is better because he's cheaper is plain stupid.  As is saying you don't want a guy for free, considering he would most likely be our top scorer if he was here.

If Eberle is over paid, at $6,000,000 for scoring 50-70 points a year... What is Eriksson for scoring 24 for the same money?  

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

I'm not saying we need him.  I'm saying the argument that Goldobin is better because he's cheaper is plain stupid.  As is saying you don't want a guy for free, considering he would most likely be our top scorer if he was here.

If Eberle is over paid, at $6,000,000 for scoring 50-70 points a year... What is Eriksson for scoring 24 for the same money?  

Just because Eriksson is maybe the worst contract in the league doesn't mean we should add another horrible one, does it?  Eriksson, if paid 3 mil/ season is a good player.  Eberle paid 3 would be fine too.  At six I would rather have neither.  

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Crosby - 29

Gaunce - 22

Gaunce - $833,000

Oh, you mean the numbers that indicate he's trending downward?

Those numbers?

It's funny too, because I literally just came from a thread in which you were chastising Benning for trading away picks for established players during a rebuild. But yet trading away a 21 year old first rd pick for a 27 year old that's trending downward is totally cool?

Alright then.

34 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Oh, you mean the numbers that indicate he's trending downward?

Those numbers?

It's funny too, because I literally just came from a thread in which you were chastising Benning for trading away picks for established players during a rebuild. But yet trading away a 21 year old first rd pick for a 27 year old that's trending downward is totally cool?

Alright then.

How is he trending downward?  He had 3 better and 3 worse seasons than last year, it was as average as it can get for him.  You seem to ignore things like when he scored 72 points he was the go to guy, and last year he averaged less ice time than our Granlund because he had to play behind McDavids line.  You don't think his numbers would go up if he was on Vancouver's 1st line?  Alright then.

I also never said Vancouver should trade for Eberle.  I simply called out the beyond stupid argument that Goldobin is better than him because he makes less money. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Just because Eriksson is maybe the worst contract in the league doesn't mean we should add another horrible one, does it?  Eriksson, if paid 3 mil/ season is a good player.  Eberle paid 3 would be fine too.  At six I would rather have neither.  

If you think that 60 point players make $3,000,000/season.  We should sign like 12 of them this offseason.  

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

How is he trending downward?  He had 3 better and 3 worse seasons than last year, it was as average as it can get for him.  You seem to ignore things like when he scored 72 points he was the go to guy, and last year he averaged less ice time than our Granlund because he had to play behind McDavids line.  You don't think his numbers would go up if he was on Vancouver's 1st line?  Alright then.

I also never said Vancouver should trade for Eberle.  I simply called out the beyond stupid argument that Goldobin is better than him because he makes less money. 

Nobody is saying Goldobin is "better" than Eberle, and it's beyond beyond stupid to imply that anybody was. Only that he serves where we are in our rebuild much better than Eberle does, and that I would rather have Goldobin on this particular team at this juncture in its development than Eberle, who would be redundant here.

And no, I most assuredly don't think Eberle would put up better numbers on our top line, having to match up against other teams best players, including the very best Dmen in the league. A dainty little flower like Eberle wouldn't be able to take it.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Of all players with a 6m cap hit, there are maybe 2-3 players that had a better season and he's on par with another 2 out of 20, so he is within the top 20% in his price range. This was also accomplished while having the least ice time of all players with the same cap hit.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nobody is saying Goldobin is "better" than Eberle, and it's beyond beyond stupid to imply that anybody was. Only that he serves where we are in our rebuild much better than Eberle does, and that I would rather have Goldobin on this particular team at this juncture in its development than Eberle, who would be redundant here.

Well then my bad, your post seemed to indicate Goldobin is better.  I'd still rather have Eberle, just because the return you'd get for him is a better prospect than Goldobin.  That said, I hope the Canucks don't trade for him because I 100% agree he doesn't serve a rebuild.  He serves the rebuild on the fly strategy that got us into the mess we're in in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

And no, I most assuredly don't think Eberle would put up better numbers on our top line, having to match up against other teams best players, including the very best Dmen in the league. A dainty little flower like Eberle wouldn't be able to take it.

Who do you think he matched up against when he was on Edmonton's top line?  He somehow managed to put up 76 points before but now he's more dainty than when he was 19-20?  

Dainty little flowers like Patrick Kane manage to win Conn Smythe, Art Ross, Ted Lindsay and Hart Memorial trophies.. and I'm sorry to break it to you.  But virtually all our forwards aren't much bigger than Eberle. 

Goldobin 5'11" 185lbs

Eberle 5'11" 181lbs

Archived