The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friedman thinks Vancouver is interested in Eberle

homersexual

10 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Well then my bad, your post seemed to indicate Goldobin is better.  I'd still rather have Eberle, just because the return you'd get for him is a better prospect than Goldobin.  That said, I hope the Canucks don't trade for him because I 100% agree he doesn't serve a rebuild.  He serves the rebuild on the fly strategy that got us into the mess we're in in the first place. 

Who do you think he matched up against when he was on Edmonton's top line?  He somehow managed to put up 76 points before but now he's more dainty than when he was 19-20?  

Dainty little flowers like Patrick Kane manage to win Conn Smythe, Art Ross, Ted Lindsay and Hart Memorial trophies.. and I'm sorry to break it to you.  But virtually all our forwards aren't much bigger than Eberle. 

Goldobin 5'11" 185lbs

Eberle 5'11" 181lbs

Maybe, but Goldobin isn't making 6 million dollars a year. 

And Patrick Kane is far from a "dainty flower", so that comparison is all sorts of flawed.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, homersexual said:

This from the Edmonton Journal article...

TSN’s Darren Dreger said this morning on Montreal radio that Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli will have to get creative to find cap space for the coming pay days of Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid: “I think that Jordan Eberle has probably played his last game with the Edmonton Oilers. And some wonder if they might have to make a real significant move, and maybe move both Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins. I doubt it. I think that they still very much value Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and I could see why in watching that team closely. But that money has got to come from somewhere.”

On Oilers Now, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet listed St. Louis, the New York Islanders, Vancouver and maybe Los Angeles as possible landing pads for Eberle.

Only 26 and will probably get you 50+ pts as a right winger. Canucks are lacking on the right side. After Boeser and Goldy, Eberle would be a good 2nd/3rd line winger.

Not directed at you OP, but after reading these comments, did no one watch him play this playoffs?  The guy was invisible and there's a reason Edm wants to get rid of him.  Not a player we should be going after.

Dreger is as reliable as a Made In China Product, has he even looked at our roster of Right Wingers?

Edmonton had better win quickly, with Chiarelli managing the team - just look how he couldn't sustain the Bruins, my guess is he will blow it again.

15 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

Not directed at you OP, but after reading these comments, did no one watch him play this playoffs?  The guy was invisible and there's a reason Edm wants to get rid of him.  Not a player we should be going after.

If Benning acquired him for more then a 2nd rounder I'll lose my poop on CDC.

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I did watch him play and I've never seen a hockey player be so afraid of physical play. I thought his vision and IQ were impressive and I like his offensive skill, but he seems to lack the drive to take himself to the next level, but I'd like to be proven wrong if he remains a Canuck. You're right that what he's lacking can be taught or achieved but you need the determination to do so. His linemates will get sick of him if they will have to chase after loose pucks and back check for him constantly.

Unless you are saying that San Jose is bad at developing players (Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Karlsson, Tierney, etc), San Jose wasn't able to get him to improve in those easily taught skills. My impression is he will be a Wellwood type player, but that is from a short period of time watching him while he's been with the Canucks. However, even Wellwood was able to get in 500 NHL games in his career, so take that for what it's worth.

Fear of being hit can be remedied and if you haven't noticed that effects pretty much our entire team save a handful of players. Of course it's all up to him. If he can dedicate himself he will be a special player. I don't want to give that potential up when in most cases guys have the opposite problem: they have the drive needed to succeed, but lack hockey IQ and/or skills to stick in the NHL.

I don't know where you picked up that I thought San Jose didn't know how to develop their players in my post. That being said the narrative of him not being able to learn enough to get into the club is false for two reasons. One Goldobin is only 21 years old and unlike the Mcdavid's and Matthew's most players don't go to the NHL immediately. They take a year or two at least to season in the AHL and then they get their shot. And two is that SJ didn't have room for him on their team, that's part of the reason they were willing to give him up.

5 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Crosby - 29

Gaunce - 22

Crosby - 8.7 million dollars

Gaunce - $833,000

Therefore, by that argument.  Gaunce > Crosby?

These numbers are more important.

Capture.JPG.14dfac7ab0f6bce89b45b7d83014c428.JPG

I think you need to look a little closer at your own stats. Most players peak at 27/28 according to the statistics, but Eberle has been going downhill since the 2013-2014 season. He went from 0.81 PPG average to a 0.62 PPG average in a 4 year time period and has declined every single year. That's not a player who we want to pick up on a rebuilding roster, especially not one in exchange for a young highly skilled winger we don't yet know the potential of who's on an 8x cheaper contract.

Did Friedman say he thinks Vancouver is interested in Eberle, as the thread title states, or did he say Vancouver is a possible landing spot based on his own speculation, as it looks like it's stated in OP? Huge difference.

4 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Did Friedman say he thinks Vancouver is interested in Eberle, as the thread title states, or did he say Vancouver is a possible landing spot based on his own speculation, as it looks like it's stated in OP? Huge difference.

His quote on Vancouver via: https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-evaluates-potential-eberle-trade-destinations/

“I’ve got to tell you something. If I was Vancouver I might take a look at it. They’re really having trouble scoring goals. Just possible. Is there a fit there.

“But I think the Islanders make sense. I think St. Louis makes sense. Vancouver may not want to do that, but in a vacuum I wonder if the Kings would even consider it.

6 hours ago, Mattrek said:

I think you need to look a little closer at your own stats. Most players peak at 27/28 according to the statistics, but Eberle has been going downhill since the 2013-2014 season. He went from 0.81 PPG average to a 0.62 PPG average in a 4 year time period and has declined every single year. That's not a player who we want to pick up on a rebuilding roster, especially not one in exchange for a young highly skilled winger we don't yet know the potential of who's on an 8x cheaper contract.

He was at a 0.77-0.81 PPG average until 2015-16. At that point, they got a new coach, and a dramatically restructured line-up. Who's to say if he went somewhere else his offense wouldn't be rejuvenated?

Like I said, if Eberle is cheap enough, I'd be happy to buy low on him and give him a shot.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

He was at a 0.77-0.81 PPG average until 2015-16. At that point, they got a new coach, and a dramatically restructured line-up. Who's to say if he went somewhere else his offense wouldn't be rejuvenated?

Like I said, if Eberle is cheap enough, I'd be happy to buy low on him and give him a shot.

But what would be the point? Given his age, he doesn't fit in with this rebuild. And, assuming you're right about him being able to pick it up in a different environment, wouldn't that be counterproductive? It's not like we're going to be any sort of contender next year. If anything, Eberle's offense might be just good enough to pull us out of lottery contention. Does anybody really want that at this point?

Yes, we could potentially flip him if he were to regain his form here, but by then we've already given up assets for him and there's the potential that his presence could cost us a top 5 pick in next years draft.

I love how people are talking like he sucks when he would have been tied for the goal lead and 1 point under the point lead on our team and this is his worst season in his NHL career... Hes a 60 point plus offensive winger i would gladly take him for the right price. 

Just now, CanuckinEdm said:

I love how people are talking like he sucks when he would have been tied for the goal lead and 1 point under the point lead on our team and this is his worst season in his NHL career... Hes a 60 point plus offensive winger i would gladly take him for the right price. 

Okay, what's that magical price you speak of?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Brendan Gaunce, straight up.

Underpayment? Definitely. But Edmonton is in trouble here, and GMs aren't going to give them fair value.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Brandon Sutter I know that Edmonton was looking for a 3rd line center all year and they will still be looking for one next season they like Draisaitl with McDavid so that leaves them with Mcdavid, RNH and then Sutter.

No thanks.  Just not interested.  The cost is too high for what you get.

Not a big fan of Sutter at all and would entertain the idea off trading him for Eberle, I just don't really get thrilled about trading a player I don't like for a player I don't like.  Also we would be trading an asset to bolster the one position of strength this franchise has; wing.  This also just happens to be the least valuable position for winning the cup.  The best winger in the world doesn't get you far in the playoffs, I am looking at you Ovechkin.

RNH I would do just because there is a lot more potential and he is a centre.  Sutter is considered a defensive player because his name is Sutter, he is a possession anchor and inconsistent scorer payed like a top notch defensive centre.  Problem is I wouldn't want to give up anything in addition other than maybe a B-C level prospect and don't think it would get it done. 

9 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Brandon Sutter I know that Edmonton was looking for a 3rd line center all year and they will still be looking for one next season they like Draisaitl with McDavid so that leaves them with Mcdavid, RNH and then Sutter.

I think the Canucks could look at trading Sutter for RNH, but not for Eberle.

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

:lol:

To think that Edm would take Sutter straight up for Eberle.

That's part of the issue here. For what Edm would likely be asking, it would be redundant to pull the trigger, considering his age and the game he plays. 

The thing is Edmonton needs to sign Draisaitl this off season and Mcdavid next season. I'm thinking its going to cost them 18 mil in cap space. Making this trade they shed 2 mil in cap and get a third line center. 

Archived