The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friedman thinks Vancouver is interested in Eberle

homersexual

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Am I the only one who thinks picking up Eberle might be a good idea?

He is a skilled offensive player who is still young, and whose value is at an all-time low. His skill-set (playmaking winger) fits well on paper with Horvat and/or Sutter. He has no form of NTC. So, provided the price is cheap enough (and I mean CHEAP - like Gaunce straight-up), why not give him a fresh start?

If it works out, we may be able to flip him for a valuable asset in a year. If not, his contract isn't much of a concern, as we are not going to compete in that time.

Only way I'm doing it, is if they take some 'bad' salary back. Only guy that fits that really is Eriksson and that doesn't make sense cap-wise on their end.

If we're buying anyone 'cheap' off the Oil, it's RNH IMO. A Baer for RNH swap (+/-) I'd consider.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm not a fan of Evander Kane, but I'd rather get him than Eberle.  Unfortunately Eberle spent to much time with the terrible version of the Oil and a lot of that terrible seems to have been absorbed into how he plays.

In fairness to Eberle - the Coil just aren't a very well built team.

A third line of Lucic RNH Eberle is an odd mixture of a pair of smaller skilled forwards and a big, slow, lumbering winger.  Not exactly sure how that was supposed to work, but it strikes me as far too slow on the wings, and not much of a two-way matchup line - so what exactly was that line's 'identity' supposed to be, what was it's 'role' and what kind of chemistry did they expect out of it?  To top it off, RNH is a weak faceoff guy, so they're starting the majority of time chasing the puck with a pair of wingers that aren't exactly a pair of puck hounds.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Only way I'm doing it, is if they take some 'bad' salary back. Only guy that fits that really is Eriksson and that doesn't make sense cap-wise on their end.

If we're buying anyone 'cheap' off the Oil, it's RNH IMO. A Baer for RNH swap (+/-) I'd consider.

Oh yeah, I'd be all over that too.

But failing that, I still think buying low on Eberle could be a shrewd move.

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That list is guys who can and have all played quite a bit of RW for us... I don't care what they're 'listed' as. It's not even remotely a stretch. Eberle would actually be a downgrade as a 4th line grinder role but yes, he's clearly a better top 6 forward (where we're pretty full on wings).

I wouldn't trade them Boeser for Eberle. Probably not even Granlund. 'Tweener top 6'...So is Eberle.

The only thing that would remotely make sense (for us) would be to swap Eriksson for Eberle. We get younger and a shorter term (2 years left). They get a better 2 way player and Eriksson goes to a contender.

That doesn't help EDM with cap at all though, so it's HIGHLY unlikely.

RNH would make far more sense as a C, where we do actually need some depth (and 2 years younger), especially if we draft a D this year. Not sure I'd be willing to give up much to get him though.

Highly debatable. Wouldn't trade Boeser or Granlund for Eberle right now considering their contracts.

There we go.

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Problem is, with that soft of a top 9, we'd need a 'Sutter' to take on hard match ups, dzone starts etc...and you just traded him. Non-starter IMO.

Not when we aren't planning on winning next year.  It give a player like Gaunce opportunity to develop into that role,  If you don't believe in him you sign a player like Beagle to that role.  You don't need a 4.5 million 4th line center.  Again that would be no different that what the caps do,  

Caps are down by a goal with a minute left.  Backstrom is taking that draw.  If caps are up by a goal with less than a minute, Backstrom is taking that draw.

Add in vilardi in 2018 and there's no issues. 

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

There we go.

Yeah, except you missed the part where I said that makes zero sense from EDM's perspective cap-wise. They're already going to be in cap hell in a few years scrambling to retain all their high end talent without saddling themselves to an additional 3 years of a $6m contract.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not when we aren't planning on winning next year.  It give a player like Gaunce opportunity to develop into that role,  If you don't believe in him you sign a player like Beagle to that role.  You don't need a 4.5 million 4th line center.  Again that would be no different that what the caps do,  

Caps are down by a goal with a minute left.  Backstrom is taking that draw.  If caps are up by a goal with less than a minute, Backstrom is taking that draw.

Add in vilardi in 2018 and there's no issues. 

Agree to disagree. Pretty sure management wouldn't even consider it. Sutter is there precisely to help shelter all the kids we have coming. His cap is largely irrelevant.

This is Friedman's quote - he's not saying that Vancouver is interested.

“I’ve got to tell you something. If I was Vancouver I might take a look at it. They’re really having trouble scoring goals. Just possible. Is there a fit there.

“But I think the Islanders make sense. I think St. Louis makes sense. Vancouver may not want to do that, but in a vacuum I wonder if the Kings would even consider it.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

What's the over/under on media speculation this summer regarding Canucks acquiring forwards that have fallen out of favor in their team's top 6? I think 15 is fair.

And that the Canucks will move their most valuable trade asset for him.

The media seems to be all over the Canucks helping out other teams, especially the Oilers and Leafs, with their primary need of a top-4 D by giving away their most sought-after trade asset for merely AHL prospects, low picks, or scraps in return.  Have yet to see a single speculation of the Canucks moving a key piece in actually fill a key hole in THEIR roster.  Where's the "I could see Vancouver moving Tanev in order to acquire a top-line center, or maybe a high-end prospect like Puljujarvi, Connor, or Dubois...plus" insights?

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, except you missed the part where I said that makes zero sense from EDM's perspective cap-wise. They're already going to be in cap hell in a few years scrambling to retain all their high end talent without saddling themselves to an additional 3 years of a $6m contract.

Agree to disagree. Pretty sure management wouldn't even consider it. Sutter is there precisely to help shelter all the kids we have coming. His cap is largely irrelevant.

What centers need sheltering still?  Bo is already a way better all around player, if by sheltering, you mean reduce the work load off Bo, a signing like Beagle and even Gaunce can do that at the fraction of the cost. 

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

This would also completely defeat the purpose from our standpoint.

It would make us smaller, slower and easier to play against.

One of the advantages of Eriksson is how crafty a two way player he is - one that can be used on a matchup/shutdown line - whereas Eberle is pretty much a misfit in that role and is less versatile.

I think if they're entertaining an Eberle deal, Edmonton has to pony up assets, and perhaps retain as well because Eberle quite simply is not a very good fit here.

Do you put him on a line with the Sedins?  No, he's to slow, and isn't in hard enough on the forecheck.

Baertchi Horvat Eberle?   Why do we have Boeser or Virtanen again?  I don't like saddling Bo with two small forwards that lack grit.

Granlund, Eriksson and Goldobin also taking spots - and Dahlen and Rodin wanting one as well (none of whom come at a 6 million cap hit).

Eriksson Sutter is a two way hard minutes matchup line - Eberle doesn't fit there either.

Bottom line, not sure what Friedman is looking at, but Eberle doesn't really make any sense in Vancouver unless he comes with some serious incentive.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What centers need sheltering still?  Bo is already a way better all around player, if by sheltering, you mean reduce the work load off Bo, a signing like Beagle and even Gaunce can do that at the fraction of the cost. 

I like the John Mitchell option as well.  Great faceoff guy, gritty, reasonable enough 4th line upside - and likely quite cheap after the season Colorado and he just had.

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like the John Mitchell option as well.  Great faceoff guy, gritty, reasonable enough 4th line upside - and likely quite cheap after the season Colorado and he just had.

Yeah that's true a typical 30 point guy, good on the dot, strong defensive game.  He would be a decent/cheap option.  I would like to see a bigger reliance on gaunce to.  gaunce has a great defensive game.  I think some work with Malholtra in that dot and he's could be a top shutdown player.

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not just centers. We need a line taking dzone draws and that doesn't include all the small, young kids we have on W. And yes Horvat too, weren't you one of the people screaming at WD for not giving him more ozone starts? Giving him more ozone starts means....?

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This would also completely defeat the purpose from our standpoint.

It would make us smaller, slower and easier to play against.

One of the advantages of Eriksson is how crafty a two way player he is - one that can be used on a matchup/shutdown line - whereas Eberle is pretty much a misfit in that role and is less versatile.

I think if they're entertaining an Eberle deal, Edmonton has to pony up assets, and perhaps retain as well because Eberle quite simply is not a very good fit here.

Do you put him on a line with the Sedins?  No, he's to slow, and isn't in hard enough on the forecheck.

Baertchi Horvat Eberle?   Why do we have Boeser or Virtanen again?  I don't like saddling Bo with two small forwards that lack grit.

Granlund, Eriksson and Goldobin also taking spots - and Dahlen and Rodin wanting one as well (none of whom come at a 6 million cap hit).

Bottom line, not sure what Friedman is looking at, but Eberle doesn't really make any sense in Vancouver unless he comes with some serious incentive.

Completely agree. Eberle is largely a redundant skill set at a far higher cap and as you say, makes us easier to play against. The only 'advantage' would be to cut 3 years of term of Eriksson's contract which of course makes it a poor fit from EDM's perspective. Non starter IMO.

RNH on the other hand...

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah that's true a typical 30 point guy, good on the dot, strong defensive game.  He would be a decent/cheap option.

Might be nice to be able to keep Gaunce at wing and have that 2nd natural center on the line - that is assuming we're actually trying to be good next year lol.

19 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

None, but he can shelter wingers coming in, such as Goldobin and Dahlen.

28 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Canucks are down (or up) by a goal -- pretty sure RNH won't be taking that draw.  Gaunce for sure can and should be groomed to complement and perhaps even eventually replace Sutter.  But for now we very much need him.  Edmonton would love a deal for Sutter if they give up an RNH or Eberle, even if they retained salary.

McDavid

Draisaitl

Sutter

Archived