The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour - Devils GM Ray Shero is receiving calls on #1 pick.

22 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Right now or ever? 

I would say ever. Drouin is already a first line player and no one in this draft is a lock to be a first liner. Drouin in his draft year was touted as a sure fire top line players who could be a superstar.

From all the scouting reports and what I have seen there are some pretty great prospects this year but no one seems to believe that anyone in this draft has superstar or even point per game potential.

I hope they're wrong but there seems to be a strong consensus that, that's the case.

18 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I doubt you'll be ok with #5 + Tanev + Hutton + Virtanen + Baertschi + Goldobin  ...

You are correct, trading the rest of the team wouldn't fly either. But I would be okay with the #5, Virtanen and Sutter.  

The prospects ranked #1 and #2 are said to be NHL ready and could play next year. In 3-5 years time if a team has patience, it could be debatable who should of been the number one pick so I'm happy keeping number 5 and making a very good pick.

33 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

By this logic, why bother with high picks at all?  Let's just trade them all for 6th rounders!  I mean, hey, those 6th rounders can be just as good as the #1 overall pick!

But, seriously, the #1 is worth more than the #5.  A lot more.  Suggesting it's not is ridiculous.  And, that isn't just an opinion.  We can actually figure out exactly how much more the pick is worth.  [That link should really be stickied, seeing as absolutely no one understands the true value of draft picks around here]

The #1 pick is worth a Top-3 forward or Top-2 defenseman.

The #5 pick is only worth a Top-7 forward or a Top-5 defenseman.

It's actually a humongous difference.  So, yes, the #5 pick could be better than the #1.  It almost surely won't, but it could...

batting .1000 the last few days....

pre lottery

canucks would never trade down if they draft 1st or 2nd.  you would only get a 2nd or b prospect if you traded down to 5th or 6th

post lottery

i think virtanen/sutter/hutton/tanev our 5th overall and more is worth moving up to 1st overall

2 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

So, wait...  You disagree with what I said???  You think the #5 is every bit as good as #1?  Really?

You mean

that the 1st overall pick is worth a lottery pick!

<_<

What on Earth are you talking about?

Are you still harassing me for using the term 'lottery pick' to mean any top pick?  That's a common usage of the term.  It's common to use the term - even when speaking about drafts in sports that don't even have lotteries.  And especially in sports that have lotteries some years, and no lottery in others, like the NHL.  Just because you disagree with what I say, and can't actually attack my positions, do you really have to resort to nitpicking through my comments for anything you could conceivably claim is wrong (even if the way I was using the term wasn't actually incorrect)? 

Again, you'll notice that I don't pick through your comments looking for spelling or grammar errors.  We'd be here all day if I did...

40 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

What on Earth are you talking about?

Are you still harassing me for using the term 'lottery pick' to mean any top pick?  That's a common usage of the term.  It's common to use the term - even when speaking about drafts in sports that don't even have lotteries.  And especially in sports that have lotteries some years, and no lottery in others, like the NHL.  Just because you disagree with what I say, and can't actually attack my positions, do you really have to resort to nitpicking through my comments for anything you could conceivably claim is wrong (even if the way I was using the term wasn't actually incorrect)? 

Again, you'll notice that I don't pick through your comments looking for spelling or grammar errors.  We'd be here all day if I did...

No...no man.  When a lottery has been completed and draft selection is finalized it is no longer a "lottery pick" much like when you purchase a lottery ticket; after the draw has been made it is nothing more than a worthless piece of paper, it is no longer a lottery ticket.

And I am actually now doing this because your posts are kind of single source finger pointing blaming and have little substance.  Because Benning did, and Gillis didn't and prospect X or Y

Has literally nothing to do with spelling errors or grammatical issues at all.  Just the substance

You can go ahead though, seems you've got the time to fabricate history because you don't like the GM so; feel free to go through my content.  I won't charge you for the pleasure of it

Edit*

It's nothing personal, just tired of seeing people blaming everyone for everything and writing off the last few drafts/prospects without ever waiting even a minimal amount of time to see where this team is heading in the future.  

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Though it's likely they will keep the pick and bolster their centre position, Shero said he has received some calls regarding teams trying to acquire the pick. Any likely trade would probably have to include a top 2 defender, top 6 center, or a top 4 defender + a good pick.

Would the Canucks be interested? Yes.

Should the Canucks be interested? Yes.

Can the Canucks pay the price? Maybe. They have Tanev, Sbisa and Gudbranson on the right side where help is most needed for NJ. Any of those players would likely need an additional pick attached to them in order to fetch the #1 pick.

Other teams of interest (in my opinion):

- Montreal (no 1st line centre and quite a few defensemen)

- Colorado (Perhaps Duchene or Landeskog)

Please include a linkable source next time.

Thanks.

Archived