The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour - Devils GM Ray Shero is receiving calls on #1 pick.

8 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Im one of those guys who thinks that centerman should play center. Thats to many centers 

in other words, you're one of those guys that doesn't pay attention to successful teams. 

23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Potentially

Meanwhile we have lost potentially one of our best defensemen for a crapshoot.

I think it is way too early to know what we have in Hutton, what we do know though is he plays with plenty of heart, enthusiasm and has an infectious personality which helps the moral of the team.

I agree he's a great locker-room presence and the young kids, especially defencemen, are really bonding (looks like they're having fun on instagram together haha). That being said, I think our future core is still far away from being set and pretty much anyone is expendable so far.

Potentially is correct. At this stage so early in their development, I think everything comes down to scouting and probability. The probability that Hutton becomes an elite defenceman is low. The probability he wins a Norris trophy is marginal. 

The probability of someone like Shea Theodore or Sanheim becoming an elite defenceman is a bit higher. Sure, still more or less unproven in the NHL, but everything up until now in their development says otherwise and only bumps that probability up. Sanheim has a strong year in the AHL, his probability of becoming an elite producer in the NHL goes up. That's the way I think of things.

When we're dealing with constructing a young core, I think we need to play these probabilities, because when it's too late and Stecher/Hutton/Juolevi hit their prime, it'll be a lot harder to trade and move pieces. Moreso, it'll be a lot harder to acquire an elite defenceman then. We're not going to be able to pull off one of these big Larsen-for-Hall or Jones-for-Johansen trades because we don't have the elite talent to send the other way unless we're willing to part with a Horvat, Boeser or Demko which we can't afford.

Because of that, I think our best chance of acquiring an elite defenceman is to acquire a young guy with a lot of potential who's probability of becoming elite is higher than most. To do that, we have to part with maybe a pick, prospect or young player. Unfortunately Hutton falls in that category. If you have a relatively low chance of becoming elite, I'd try and trade the player packaged with other things for someone with a slightly higher chance of becoming elite.

At the end of the day, we're seeing in these playoffs that good players don't cut it anymore - you need top-end talent, and we need to be savvy to try and find ways to acquire it. Benning did pretty well getting us Goldobin and Dahlen but he's going to have to pull more rabbits out of his hat if he wants to get a prized defenceman.

9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

What about if we kept the #5 pick AND landed the #1 or #3 pick though?  We give up a known good asset that's peaking at the wrong time for the chance of picking up a good asset that will peak at a more timely point in the future.  Big downsides are that you don't know what you'll really get and you give up veteran leadership to help the young players.  Tough call.

Other than Bo, what asset do we have worth the first overall?

17 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I'd rather just pick Glass. 

He's outscored Ryan Johansen, also a former Portland Winterhawk, in every single category comparing Johansen's draft year to Glass' draft year. We pick him and get a solid 1A centre to complement Horvat, who will be our 1B guy. Very similar to the setup we had him H. Sedin and Kesler when we were a contender. 

Horvat and Glass don't have ceilings anywhere near what Kes and Henrik were.....

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

VAN

1st Overall '17

NJ

5th Overall '17

Baertschi

Sbisa

8 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Tanev and #5 for Patrick?

And GM who wouldn't do that is an idiot would keep his job.

Oh, the insanity of chasing magic beans -- there's always a shinier one.

19 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I'd rather just pick Glass. 

He's outscored Ryan Johansen, also a former Portland Winterhawk, in every single category comparing Johansen's draft year to Glass' draft year. We pick him and get a solid 1A centre to complement Horvat, who will be our 1B guy. Very similar to the setup we had him H. Sedin and Kesler when we were a contender. 

This.

Sucks we never got a 1st or 2nd OA pick but this not the year to be trading up for it....although talented neither of the top 2 are miles above some of the other early picks available. ...this is onenof those years where picks in our range could develop better....who knows. ..

12 minutes ago, tas said:

you can never have too many centers. you could have 12 natural centers up front and you'd be golden. 

Likely these top players (almost all NHL guys) were put at centre or D by their coaches when young.  

23 minutes ago, tas said:

you can never have too many centers. you could have 12 natural centers up front and you'd be golden. 

I guess as long your centers play better wing than any wingers you might have.   And if you have a center that can't crack the top two for example is he going to be a good top two winger. 

If not I suggest having less than six slotted for your lineup.  Also, having more than two top two centers some one will always be unhappy with ice time.  I think it's good to have depth tho in case of injury 

17 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

And GM who wouldn't do that is an idiot

Really depends on how one feels Patrick will develop. It might not even be Patrick at number 1.

So to say they would be an idiot... well that's your opinion. Not mine. :)

17 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

And GM who wouldn't do that is an idiot

Or, could potentially as per the rumours trade Tanev for another top 10 pick even the 3rd OA

3rd, 7th or 8th overall and 5th overall

Or...Patrick

Any GM that wouldn't do that.... :P

10 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Horvat and Glass don't have ceilings anywhere near what Kes and Henrik were.....

Actually, they do. They won't score 113 points in a season but Glass certainly makes up for that with his defensive play. I think Horvat will be better offensively then Kesler very soon. 

44 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Actually, they do. They won't score 113 points in a season but Glass certainly makes up for that with his defensive play. I think Horvat will be better offensively then Kesler very soon. 

Kes was the best shutdown centerman in the league at one point while Henrik was the best point-producing centerman at one point.  Horvat may eclipse Kes offensively but Kes managed to score 41 goals while also winning the Selke. Overall the duo of Hank and Kes were unstoppable (until Kes had to play on one leg in the playoffs lol).  Anyways, you don't "make up" for 112 points with defensive play.  Glass is gonna be good, but there his ceiling isn't close to vintage Henrik. Bo and Kes are closer, but 40 goals and a Selke is gonna be tough for Bo to match.

Archived