The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Benning wants to move up in 2017 draft (per LeBrun)

20 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Should we be reading into Benning only requesting interviews with Glass and Petterrsen? Are there more interviews to follow? Why make this info public? Purely for spin? You'd think they'd interview a ton of players. 

He has had more interviews than those 2

https://www.google.ca/amp/vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/nhl-combine-a-telling-test-of-skills-wills-and-some-interview-thrills/amp

6 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

He was referencing the fact that benning requested further interviews with petterson and glass back in van after the combine I believe . Not sure if any other players were asked.

13 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

Am I missing something? I don't see anything specific about interviews. It says:

Centres Gabriel Vilardi, Cody Glass, Casey Mittelstadt, Michael Rasmussen and Elias Pettersson will be grilled by the Canucks as hard as defencemen Cale Makar, Timothy Liljegren and Cal Foote.

But that's just an assumption from Kuzma. Nothing from JB himself.

11 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

He was referencing the fact that benning requested further interviews with petterson and glass back in van after the combine I believe . Not sure if any other players were asked.

Oh missed that part thanks. 

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Am I missing something? I don't see anything specific about interviews. It says:

Centres Gabriel Vilardi, Cody Glass, Casey Mittelstadt, Michael Rasmussen and Elias Pettersson will be grilled by the Canucks as hard as defencemen Cale Makar, Timothy Liljegren and Cal Foote.

But that's just an assumption from Kuzma. Nothing from JB himself.

Sorry was rushing thought it said he did those interviews with everyone. 

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe they were super nervous and bombed the interview, but there was something they saw that they wanted to give them another chance?

Can we confirm that this is the 2nd round of interviews? Is there any proof that interviews have already taken place?

11 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Not many mock drafts expect Heiskanen to be available by 5. I'd love for us to have 2 picks in the top 5.

Hopefully JB can turn .Tanev into another top pick:)

considering whomever we pick at five will likely need a couple years (.at least) to develop, I'm wondering if a guy like Middlestadt might be the best choice there?  He's considerably weaker than the other boys, so he might just be the one with the most upside.

2 hours ago, nergish said:

I am all for trading Tanev to get another top 5 pick... but would anybody here seriously take any player other than Heiskanen at 3rd???

anyone else of interest would surely still be available at 5... other than maybe Vilardi, but I'd rather take Glass at centre with our other pick.

Heiskanen  at 3rd and Mittlestadt at 5.

6 hours ago, mll said:

McPhee says they want to go young and pick guys who will still be with the team in 3-4 years.  Sbisa is UFA in a year.   He doesn't really fit that profile.  So unless a team wants him to pick Sbisa on their behalf (*) - not certain he will be the one they select.  Benning said he had been in contact with Vegas and has a bit of an idea of their plans.

(*) McPhee said there will be deals where he drafts a player on behalf of another team who will then acquire that player in exchange of additional draft picks - he suggested that they could be more than a handful of such deals.  

Benning says he's not shopping Tanev and it's other GMs that are calling him but that it's his job to listen.   It sounds like his preference is to keep Tanev but that he could be swayed for a solid return.  Somehow it got translated into Benning is trying to move Tanev.  Friedman last night said that GMs have called and that the price is very high.  He says that if Tanev were to be moved the return had to be great.

If this is true and the price for moving Tanev is met for Benning...the future would look bright and the majority of the CDC myself included will rejoice.  Tanevs name is in here so much he should have his own moderator.  If it compares to the Hall deal and we get a bonafide star in return like Duchene, or this year's third and fifth this team will take a huge leap forward.

Hope that JB is just a good poker player - and not telegraphing that that would love to trade Tanev for a top 5 pick....  

However, don't be surprised if Tanev or another asset - even a young player we just got - is traded for another player later in the first round....   and maybe we get Makar at 10 or something...  but the most likely scenario is that nothing happens, which would be a shame as 2 top 5 picks "could" really accelerate this rebuild - get a top center and pp qb in one draft year (IF they work out, which isn't guaranteed) would be phenomenal

On 6/4/2017 at 2:00 PM, King Heffy said:

Heiskanen  at 3rd and Mittlestadt at 5.

Dallas is shopping their 3rd overall because they are looking for a defenseman and no D is worth #3 this year.

My money's on Mittelstadt, but if Canucks don't get #3 they'll likely go for Glass (but Benning has sparked interest for Tippett which is a bad idea).

JB must have an idea that one of Patrick of Hischier will fall to the 3rd.  This would make the 3rd very valuable indeed.  Trading Tanev is a huge loss for Vancouver, so he will be looking for a very good return.

Although I still like Mitts, I'm leaning towards Petterson of late.  The guy's hockey sense is through the roof and he has a terrific set of skills.  I've talked with a couple of Swedes that have watched him regularly this year and they see him as an elite NHL player.  They think he will take a 2/3 years to make the jump, as he is seriously undersized and will need to adjust to the smaller ice/physical game.

On 2017-06-04 at 0:50 PM, komodo0921 said:

Moving up in the draft would be great, as long as we don't give up any draft picks of our own. 

Expendables:

Defense- Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, maybe Tryamkin's rights

Forwards- Granlund, Dorsett, Sutter

Dealing any number of these assets to secure as many picks over the next two drafts would, definitely, be a move in the right direction.

Our biggest need is the patience to allow our youth to, further, develop.We also have to wait until these no trade deals expire so management can properly structure our pay scale with better balance. Of course the rediculous contract of Eriksson kind of makes this unlikely unless he starts putting up 70+ points a season but, I see no reason to expect that to happen.

Granlund isn't at all expendable.

IMO he's better then Baertschi, who should be the expendable one.  

7 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Dallas is shopping their 3rd overall because they are looking for a defenseman and no D is worth #3 this year.

My money's on Mittelstadt, but if Canucks don't get #3 they'll likely go for Glass (but Benning has sparked interest for Tippett which is a bad idea).

How do you know Benning has interest in Tippet?

Archived