The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Benning wants to move up in 2017 draft (per LeBrun)

5 minutes ago, Calvin's Dog said:

Could buy out Niemi and still re-sign Miller

I never even thought of that. If Benning was so concerned about not having Miller back next year then he could just buy out Niemi and re-sign Miller. The cap hit really isn't an issue over the next 2 years anyways. Just gives us one more option to work with to get the 3rd OA pick. Something I'm clearly in favour of. I'd still rather they not re-sign Miller at all though. 

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure, if JB could acquire a sure fire prospect instead of a draft pick that's great. But 3rd OA is a huge asset, one that JB should jump at if he has the chance to acquire it. But it all comes down to what kind of offers he has. We might be better off trading Tanev for a lesser pick and keeping our additional assets/cap space. But I wouldn't undersell what it would mean to get the 3rd OA from Dallas. It could be boom, it could be bust, but it's a massive draft pick to have in our pocket and definetly worth it when you weigh out risk vs reward. No one is going to trade an NHL ready future 1st line C or 1st pairing dman for Tanev. Those kind of players are typically only acquired through the draft.

I'd be much more excited about acquiring the 3rd pick, if we owned the 4th pick, not 5th. Getting both Vilardi+Heiskanen would be so exciting. Then using 2nd picks to get some offensive wingers into the system. Robertson/Ratcliffe at 33, Mismash/Gadjovich at 55

I'm starting to think we pass on taking a dman, even if we end up getting 3rd and 5th (just take Connor Timmins or Eemeli Rasanen in the 2nd round). Next years draft, I don't think a draft has ever been this stacked at D. There's 6 stud Dmen that could all be better then any dman from these past 2 drafts. I'm sure theres more I dont know about, plus more that will rise up the rankings. Dahlin goes to the team who wins the lottery, McIsaac has to go to Edmonton obviously, and we can take Ryan Merkley (Guelph Storms TOP SCORER already with 12g 43a) or Evan Bouchard whos just about as good as his D partner Olli Juolevi and 2 years younger (11g 33a). Ty Smith is already Spokane's best Dman. And then there's Quinn Hughes, who along with Brady Tkachuk, played a year up and was still the US U-18 team's top scorer (Gotta wait to see how much this 17 year old grows this summer and over his draft year though).

Evan Bouchard

Rasmus Dahlin

Ryan Merkley

Ty Smith

Quinn Hughes

Jared McIsaac

35 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The most interesting thing about the prospect of gaining the 3rd OA is seeing who JB has ranked at #3. I am very curious as to who he thinks is the best prospect after Nico and Nolan.

i should add that I don't expect the trade to happen.

I would not get your hopes up..Kuzma on 1040 this afternoon,stating that he doubts that Tanev will be traded...So, after a few days of heavy speculation, it looks like the brakes have been applied for that 3OA.

5 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

JB is in critical juncture ,with the club hovering at 28th to 30th, an drafting at 5 or 6 hole does not make for a speedy rebuild.

The pressure must be immense in his field right now . I suggest he will be patient An not be hasty as he was last summer with the signing of his franchise savour.This did not work very well.

The club is in dire need of a stud who scores An puts up consistently puts numbers up.

i hope he can find that player without giving up a great piece or picks away.

Just curious who he signed last summer who's considered our franchise saviour... Stetcher? 

I agree the pressure must be mounting, but it always going to up until and after the Sedins retire.  With no replacements in the system yet we should be happy we haven't been finishing 10-15th...

6 hours ago, B53 said:

You propose:

Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass, Tanev, and Boeser

for

Hischier/Patrick

Read that, and think it over again. I think you might change your mind

No way.  Boesser might end up being as good or better than both guys at the top of the draft.

Read it over again, I think it might change your mind.

8 hours ago, B53 said:

I'd be much more excited about acquiring the 3rd pick, if we owned the 4th pick, not 5th. Getting both Vilardi+Heiskanen would be so exciting. Then using 2nd picks to get some offensive wingers into the system. Robertson/Ratcliffe at 33, Mismash/Gadjovich at 55

Tanev for the 3rd and cap dump goalie contract. Maybe the 55th, but that seems high. 

11 hours ago, B53 said:

You propose:

Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Glass, Tanev, and Boeser

for

Hischier/Patrick

Read that, and think it over again. I think you might change your mind

I'm not saying it makes sense... but that might be the price.  

just saying that what the organization really needs is the #1 or #2 pick... not the #3 or #5.  But maybe we get lucky... haven't really had much success in getting lucky, this organization needs to take some risks, and either it will pay off and we get a competing team earlier... or it sets us back a few years - but what do we have to lose?  If we don't get a #1C and true #1D before we compete again, we will never win the cup.

What would it take to get the #1 pick?  or #2?  The prices are ridiculously high to trade for a #1 or #2 pick...   So I guess we just draft a defenseman at #5 and hope we get lucky next year...   Maybe next year is the better year to sacrifice something to get to the #1 or #2 (although this is probably the ONLY year that the #1 or #2 is actually available in a trade).  

1 minute ago, canucksnihilist said:

I'm not serious...

just saying that what the organization really needs is the #1 or #2 pick... not the #3 or #5.

No guarantees that Hischier and Patrick become elite game changer type players.  If we pick 3 and 5 we take Makar and Vilardi.  Heck we might get a more elite player out of those two than the guys going 1 and 2.  There's just not enough separation between the top two and three to 12 to be worth the cost in assets to move up in this draft.

Just now, Alflives said:

No guarantees that Hischier and Patrick become elite game changer type players.  If we pick 3 and 5 we take Makar and Vilardi.  Heck we might get a more elite player out of those two than the guys going 1 and 2.  There's just not enough separation between the top two and three to 12 to be worth the cost in assets to move up in this draft.

Ya...  I guess it is a crap shoot - but #1 and #2 have better odds. 

19 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think you have to play 4 full NCAA years to qualify UFA. (Pretty sure?)

So it is riskier picking a guy just completing his rookie year in the 2knd or 3rd round. Who wont be ready for a few more years.

But Mittlestead, like Boeser, is a top prospect yet to start college. Expected to be ready, pull ups not withstanding, in a year or two, is unlikely to put millions of dollars on hold longer to stay in school. And put off a more lucrative second contract till he's 24 or 25?  He'll get in, get out of the NCAA, cash in... 

Unless he pulls a Vesey. I'm always a little concerned with NCAA players - if we are going to choose Middlestadt - he better have excellent character, and is a good kid like Brock was. I hate players like Vesey who pull that kind of $&!# and stunt with their respective clubs. Actually, Vesey, who was drafted by Nashville no, could have been on the verge of winning a championship. Instead, opted to play for the Rangers (out of postseason play). I don't feel bad for the kid at all. 

Middlestadt has excellent hands, but again, he hasn't really proven he can score 5v5. Really curious to see what happens with him this coming season. This draft is an interesting one simply because anyone can go anywhere! Even within the top two, there's not really a for sure who's going 1 or 2. It could be Nico, or it could be Patrick. IF Benning and co can come away with Vilardi, Makar (riskier pick, but one of the highest ceilings as well), and Pettersson, we win in this draft hands down without a doubt. THREE first round picks will help our future, and ignite passion again within this fanbase, which I feel has felt "blah" or "meh" recently, maybe because of where the club currently is at (perhaps this is why "experts" continue to say that Vancouver cannot withstand a full rebuild). 

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's probably true that there isn't enough separation. Though, I feel like Vilardi has separated himself ever so slightly at number 3 now. The rest, well, it's a crapshoot for sure. I'd like for the Canucks to leave the draft with Vilardi and Makar (biggest bust/boom pick...but we need to cash in eventually on a boom type player, right?). 

Next year, there seems to be a better elite talent of defenseman in the draft. 2018 draft is going to be a good year, hope the Canucks miraculously win the lottery. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's probably true that there isn't enough separation. Though, I feel like Vilardi has separated himself ever so slightly at number 3 now. The rest, well, it's a crapshoot for sure. I'd like for the Canucks to leave the draft with Vilardi and Makar (biggest bust/boom pick...but we need to cash in eventually on a boom type player, right?). 

Next year, there seems to be a better elite talent of defenseman in the draft. 2018 draft is going to be a good year, hope the Canucks miraculously win the lottery. 

If we get 3, I'd be happy with that scenario.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we get 3, I'd be happy with that scenario.  

me too. 

IF we get third. I want Pettersson as well, but I'm not sure if we can get another first round pick. Tanev at the moment is our biggest trading chip. He can probably get us a first for sure, and another pick and a prospect. but two firsts?? Maybe if we tap Buffalo and ask them for Alex Nylander and the 8th overall. But that also depends on how badly they want Tanev. 

From Friedman's 30 thoughts - looks like Benning is trying to use #55 (CBJ pick) to move up.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

6. Watch New Jersey in the lead-up to the draft. There is a growing suspicion the Devils feel their greatest need is on the blue line, and there are some good ones they like (Miro Heiskanen? Cale Makar?). Anyway, would GM Ray Shero take one of them at the top, or would he move down just a little bit, adding something else, if he knew he could still get what he wanted? Vancouver could use a centre, for example. The compensatory pick from Columbus for hiring John Tortorella (55th overall) is something they dangled to see if it could help them move, but so far, no dice.

From: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

Watch New Jersey in the lead-up to the draft. There is a growing suspicion the Devils feel their greatest need is on the blue line, and there are some good ones they like (Miro Heiskanen? Cale Makar?). Anyway, would GM Ray Shero take one of them at the top, or would he move down just a little bit, adding something else, if he knew he could still get what he wanted? Vancouver could use a centre, for example. The compensatory pick from Columbus for hiring John Tortorella (55th overall) is something they dangled to see if it could help them move, but so far, no dice.

Looks like Friedman is sure of the fact that Nucks have already approached Devils with the 55 OA pick as a talking point.

Archived