The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

Im sooo mad :( i will be getting drunk tonight...we coulda picked rassmussen whos 6'6 or glass or vil and than traded tanev and maybe someone else, for a nother 1st round and than got petterson :( QQ

I really hope this pick doesnt bite us in the butt down the road :(

I personally dont mind who vancouver pick, i just want the nucks to stop being the worse team in canada :( , we really need a connor/mathews and laline type player to get out of the basement and doing well, i personally feel once the sadins retire, we can trully rebuild, but till they do ...same ole same ole

Edited by Dave "The Hammer" Schultz
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tystick said:

I never considered this guy before, but take a moment to look at his talent.

This is a superstar in the making, especially with Dahlen.

You mean only with Dahlen, in Sweden. Perimeter player, small, exactly what a tiny, weak team would need.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Oh boy... So what though? No one was drafting him top 5. Benning sewered another pick.

If he wanted him, he should have traded down to 7th at the very least and got another asset. 

This is by far the worst asset manager in Canucks history.

Not always that easy I'm afraid. :)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Im sooo mad :( i will be getting drunk tonight...we coulda picked rassmussen whos 6'6 or glass or vil and than traded tanev and maybe someone else, for a nother 1st round and than got petterson :( QQ

I personally dont mind who vancouver pick, i just want the nucks to stop being the worse team in canada :( , we really need a connor/mathews and laline type player to get out of the basement and doing well, i personally feel once the sadins retire, we can trully rebuild, but till they do ...same ole same ole

EW

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

And he was on the phone with someone wanting to trade up. I don't get it. He would have been there at past 9 I think.

Pretty clear he tried to, but either the value wasn't there and/or the risk he wouldn't be there where they ended up.  Sometimes if you really want something you just have to take it and not play around gambling and micro-managing it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Will all those in 2014 who wanted the twiggy Euros and have complained ever since, now do the same in reverse?

There's a difference though. Petterson wasn't in the top-5 in many expert scouts picks. His talent level isn't as high as Nylander and Ehlers, and there was a massive drop off in talent from Nylanders/Ehlers to Virtanen. Now we've picked a guy who's talent may be similar if not slightly higher than Glass/Vilardi.

At the end of the day, it's difficult to decipher which player of the bunch is going to be better at draft day based on a couple of seasons of junior hockey, but that's the jobs of the scouts. Fair to say they made the wrong pick with Virtanen (especially considering Ritchie was there too). Now time will tell before we know who won this pick and how good our scouts really are.

• Haha 1