The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

But that is using hindsight on McAvoy. No one knew he would be this good.

So why take the risk of trading down in the hopes of getting a McAvoy when you could just draft the stud in Brady Tkachuk.

Let's take the 2016 draft for example. If we drafted Matthew Tkachuk like we should've and acquired a mid-late first and got Chychrun/Fabbro

Tkachuk + Chychrun/Fabbro >>>>>>>>>>> Juolevi

Now, look at the 2018 draft. Draft one of Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi

Aquire a mid-late first. Draft one of Merkley/Miller/Alexeyev/Woo

Zadina/Tkachuk + Merkley >>>>>> Dobson/Bouchard.

Yes, EP is quite the player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

So why take the risk of trading down in the hopes of getting a McAvoy when you could just draft the stud in Brady Tkachuk.

Let's take the 2016 draft for example. If we drafted Matthew Tkachuk like we should've and acquired a mid-late first and got Chychrun/Fabbro

Now, look at the 2018 draft. Draft one of Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi

Sweet, pettersson gets another crack at mora it seems. So it could be a good possiblity for another multi point game. 

Edited by Isam

It is too bad moderators cannot remove posts that are irrelevant to the posted subject

It might help people posting in the proper subject heading then

Although i did enjoy some comments and upvote some, I had no idea the E.P. thread would derail

I have seen this on numerous threads though

Has it ever been considered to help keep postings focused to the subject?

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Maybe a team/scout did? Seems our team knew something about Pettersson last draft who was ranked lower than we did or would have taken him... 

And again, I'm not saying we will/should do this. Devil's advocate. 

No reason we couldn't do both either. Trade down to a 10-15 pick and trade for a 20'ish pick. 

And no, imo we shouldn't have taken that Tkachuck. This one, maybe... he would look good on Pettersson and Boeser's LW.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe a team/scout did? Seems our team knew something about Pettersson last draft who was ranked lower than we did or would have taken him... 

And again, I'm not saying we will/should do this. Devil's advocate. 

No reason we couldn't do both either. Trade down to a 10-15 pick and trade for a 20'ish pick. 

And no, imo we shouldn't have taken that Tkachuck. This one, maybe... he would look good on Pettersson and Boeser's LW.

Actually, i had Pettersson 3rd overall on my list.

He's actually a good example. If we drafted my need we would've drafted Liljegren or Brannstom.

Who would you rather have Pettersson or those D-men?

Imo Pettersson was a can't miss prospect and so are Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk/Wahlstrom so unless there is a can't miss d-man valuable(Dahlin, Boqvist) I hope we grab one of those stud forward prospects like we did with Pettersson.

11 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I see is as weakest on Defence and then at Center. Where I think we have some decent prospect depth is at wing. 

Is EP a center or winger in the NHL?  Beyond Horvat we drop off quickly unless Gaudette lives up to his promise. 

That being said, we could always use a bonified top three left winger.  Just that I place the need of defender and centers higher. 

Young wingers in the Org.

Boeser

Baer

Granlund

Virtannen

Goldy

Dahlen

Pettersson

Lind

Gadjovich

Lockwood

At Center

Horvat

Sutter

Gaunce

Gaudette

Pettersson?

Lind?

At Defence

Juolevi

Trymakin If he comes back

then a steep drop to

McEnemy

Brisbiois

Chatfield...

By all means let’s take Tkachuk, but it means we have to find our next top defender by other means.  

History shows that it is much harder to get that elusive top d man other than drafting him. 

I 100% agree d we are weak on, but EP is a Centre prospect and with Horvat Sutter already and Gaudette and EP on the way I do not see The lack of C depth you do.

and top d selections are misses much more often then forwards are.

High chance we leave the draft with 1 of: Boqvist/Bouchard/Hughes 

But I strongly feel: Tkachuk/Zadina/Svechnikov 

Will all make the NHL jump quicker and have a probability of being impact NHLers, whereas the D asides From Dahlin will all require patience.

to me drafting d later in volume is the way to go this year unless management is extremely confident in a dmans abilitys in the top 5 outside of Dahlin of course

if we are picking 6-10 I expect to pick a dman though 100%

Little interview with EP for Vaxjo as they’re doing a profile on him tomorrow http://www.vaxjolakers.se/artikel/n5wwajcss-4af7d/matchens-profil-elias-pettersson

a google translate of the interview:

What is your favorite podium? 
- Never listened to a podd.

What is your favorite account on Instagram? 
- @daquan.

What is your favorite movie? 
- Law Abiding Citizen.

Which song is best right now? 
- Good Old Days- Macklemore (feat. Kesha).

What is your absolute favorite candy card? 
- Chocolate.

Who do you think are SHL's best players? 
- Viktor Fasth.

Do you have a nickname? 
- EP, Elke and Elliot.

What is your best memory? 
-"When my best childhood friends and their families returned to Sweden after being expelled from the country.

Tell something that not many people know about you! 
-"I'm the team's assistant masseur and like to be goalkeeper.

Release of the match between Växjö Lakers - Mora IK is at 19.00 but VIDA Arena opens the doors already at 17.00 - Warm welcome!

Nothing to special but but I thought it was kind of interesting!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Little interview with EP for Vaxjo as they’re doing a profile on him tomorrow http://www.vaxjolakers.se/artikel/n5wwajcss-4af7d/matchens-profil-elias-pettersson

a google translate of the interview:

What is your favorite podium? 
- Never listened to a podd.

What is your favorite account on Instagram? 
- @daquan.

What is your favorite movie? 
- Law Abiding Citizen.

Which song is best right now? 
- Good Old Days- Macklemore (feat. Kesha).

What is your absolute favorite candy card? 
- Chocolate.

Who do you think are SHL's best players? 
- Viktor Fasth.

Do you have a nickname? 
- EP, Elke and Elliot.

-"When my best childhood friends and their families returned to Sweden after being expelled from the count
ry.

Tell something that not many people know about you! 
-"I'm the team's assistant masseur and like to be goalkeeper.

Release of the match between Växjö Lakers - Mora IK is at 19.00 but VIDA Arena opens the doors already at 17.00 - Warm welcome!

Nothing to special but but I thought it was kind of interesting!

As a 25% Swede ( thanks to my wonderful grandfather ) I find the bolded to be very interesting. Sweden doesn't have a rep for throwing folk out of the country. Is there a politician called Trumpsson there ?

31 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

-"When my best childhood friends and their families returned to Sweden after being expelled from the country.

I'm curios about the backstory here.

54 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

As a 25% Swede ( thanks to my wonderful grandfather ) I find the bolded to be very interesting. Sweden doesn't have a rep for throwing folk out of the country. Is there a politician called Trumpsson there ?

45 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'm curios about the backstory here.

Yeah I found this interesting as well. I did a little bit of googling and I can’t find any event of people being expelled or deported en mass and then recently being invited back in. In fact, most reports indicate that Sweden has increased its border control since 2016 due to increases in immigrant detention every year since 2009. 

Would like to hear more about this story. Maybe once he becomes a Canucks things like this will be discussed more openly

• Thanks 1

I don't normally watch the all-star weekend, but did this year and was amazed with Brock...............but

I came away in awe over Nikita Kucherov

24 years old, 5'11" and 178 lbs

you can't hit what you can't catch

I am not saying Elias Patterson is in the same ball field right now

But they have a lot of similarities

including build................6'2" and 168 lbs at 18 years of age

watched some video of the two and there is just a lot of similarities

what do you think about that statement?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't normally watch the all-star weekend, but did this year and was amazed with Brock...............but

I came away in awe over Nikita Kucherov

24 years old, 5'11" and 178 lbs

you can't hit what you can't catch

I am not saying Elias Patterson is in the same ball field right now

But they have a lot of similarities

including build................6'2" and 168 lbs at 18 years of age

watched some video of the two and there is just a lot of similarities

what do you think about that statement?

I think you're barking up the right tree...but I expect your going to get flamed by the flamer's.....I remember comparing Boeser's shot too Laine's and that was about a page worth of flaming....

Those same folks would never admit to it now though...just 4 months later.....and Boeser's shot is obviously every bit as good and accurate as Laine's....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Maybe his friends moved away then moved back after a few years?

8 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

Maybe his friends moved away then moved back after a few years?

Could be, but the words "after being expelled from the country. " are tad more negative than just moving away. This might come down to the google translate thing. Innocent words may have become warped in translation.

3 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Yeah I found this interesting as well. I did a little bit of googling and I can’t find any event of people being expelled or deported en mass and then recently being invited back in. In fact, most reports indicate that Sweden has increased its border control since 2016 due to increases in immigrant detention every year since 2009. 

Would like to hear more about this story. Maybe once he becomes a Canucks things like this will be discussed more openly

4 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Could be, but the words "after being expelled from the country. " are tad more negative than just moving away. This might come down to the google translate thing. Innocent words may have become warped in translation.

That's where my mind went, right to Google Translate doing something funny instead of Sweden. Still, it was an interesting comment by EP.